Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetaryDevastation View Post
    You ever heard the phrase, smashing action figures together? That is Aaron's run. It's mindless action. Character development is almost non-existent. He has retconned so many things to get this story to work. Retcons designed to overwrite better written stories than this one. Tony's dad is in league with Mephisto! She-Hulk hated being who she was and wants to be a dumb brute! Etc, etc. There were humans a million years ago! Gaea wasn't Thor's mom! It was the Phoenix! Killing off Kenneth for starbaby! A tournament of the phoenix where the characters get new costumes and fight in nonsensical and random battles. It's so random and trying to be zany and dumb.

Half of the characters could be removed and nothing would change. She-Hulk is just there to be a dumb brute. Her classic, beloved personality gone because really he wanted Bruce but got stuck with Jen. Carol is there. Cap does things. Black Panther is the one who does the most along with Blade. Who shouldn't be an Avenger IMO. Plots just happen and end just as suddenly. It's less of a grand narrative and more him jamming everything he wants in one plot.

It really does feel like a child came up with a lot of these ideas. But it so badly done that it feels stupid. I have no problem with a writer coming up with a thousand ideas a page but it has to be good. And nothing about this reads as good.
    This is a perfect summary.

It's just dumb. And not dumb in a fun way.

You ever heard the phrase, smashing action figures together? That is Aaron's run. It's mindless action. Character development is almost non-existent. He has retconned so many things to get this story to work. Retcons designed to overwrite better written stories than this one. Tony's dad is in league with Mephisto! She-Hulk hated being who she was and wants to be a dumb brute! Etc, etc. There were humans a million years ago! Gaea wasn't Thor's mom! It was the Phoenix! Killing off Kenneth for starbaby! A tournament of the phoenix where the characters get new costumes and fight in nonsensical and random battles. It's so random and trying to be zany and dumb.

Half of the characters could be removed and nothing would change. She-Hulk is just there to be a dumb brute. Her classic, beloved personality gone because really he wanted Bruce but got stuck with Jen. Carol is there. Cap does things. Black Panther is the one who does the most along with Blade. Who shouldn't be an Avenger IMO. Plots just happen and end just as suddenly. It's less of a grand narrative and more him jamming everything he wants in one plot.

It really does feel like a child came up with a lot of these ideas. But it so badly done that it feels stupid. I have no problem with a writer coming up with a thousand ideas a page but it has to be good. And nothing about this reads as good.
    100% agree
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I gotta say. 2 issues in and I’m digging WWSH. Now I’m not going to start patting Aaron on the back, but I will give this arc a chance.
    I have to agree with you on this
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

DING DING DING! You're spot on right about everything.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I hear that it is outselling Justice League.
    That's being written by Bendis.
    Anything after Death of Spider-man in 1610 by him wasn't good and it progressively got worse.

Extraordinary Member

I wanted to rant about all this, but thank you for doing it

It's like Hickman but if he had dumb ideas made worse with bad writing which need harmful retcons to be viable in the first place

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    That's being written by Bendis.
    Anything after Death of Spider-man in 1610 by him wasn't good and it progressively got worse.
    I'm still debating if I want to drop JL or not. It's Bendis... but it's so bland.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I'm still debating if I want to drop JL or not. It's Bendis... but it's so bland.
    "Bland" is a good word to describe JL under Bendis, and that shouldn't be the case.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    "Bland" is a good word to describe JL under Bendis, and that shouldn't be the case.
    It hurts because I loved his New Avengers and was hoping he would just do that again.
    But instead, the first arc was largely just a lot of nothing happened. I've not even started the second arc. I'm still waiting for the first part to be delivered.

Thank you for the responses. I will continue pulling Zub's Tech-On #1 for now and wait until Aaron is off the title, I guess, before considering pulling another ongoing.

Fantastic Member

It's weird because while it'll never top Ennis' run, Aaron did manage to write a fairly decent Punisher MAX book. But his Avengers stuff is just garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by thecoffeeman View Post
    Thank you for the responses. I will continue pulling Zub's Tech-On #1 for now and wait until Aaron is off the title, I guess, before considering pulling another ongoing.
    Is the Tech-On mini set in its own universe, or is it 616?

Spot on! Aaron lost me with the BC Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    Is the Tech-On mini set in its own universe, or is it 616?
    I read somewhere it was 616.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    It's weird because while it'll never top Ennis' run, Aaron did manage to write a fairly decent Punisher MAX book. But his Avengers stuff is just garbage.
    That's the thing, Aaron is a good writer.

His Punisher and even Ghost Rider was good.

His indepedent stuff has been between good and great. I'm not sure what's happening to him on Avengers.