Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That's the thing, Aaron is a good writer.

His Punisher and even Ghost Rider was good.

His indepedent stuff has been between good and great. I'm not sure what's happening to him on Avengers.
    I dunno. I feel like him getting Avengers was because they needed a big name on it, so they're kind of just giving him free reign even though he doesn't really seem like he actually wants to be writing an Avengers book.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That's the thing, Aaron is a good writer.

His Punisher and even Ghost Rider was good.

His indepedent stuff has been between good and great. I'm not sure what's happening to him on Avengers.
    I haven't read his Avengers (and after this thread... probably won't), but I will certainly stand by this. His Punisher MAX, Thor, and The Goddamned are all excellent as far as I'm concerned.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Unless I've missed something along the way, writers usually leave Marvel after wrapping up a huge event they authored. Why Aaron is still around and mucking up Avengers after having finished War of the Realms is a mystery to me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

I haven't read it. From the very beginning when they killed Starbrand and announced the whole Avengers BC thing I knew that it wasn't my cup of tea. I kind of consider Jason Aaron to be like a "grindhouse" writer. A lot of his stories and plotlines feel very B-movie and often have B-movie logic. That works for several characters, but I just didn't feel like it would work for Avengers. Plus, I STILL have the sour taste of Original Sin in my mouth. Since the start of the run I've heard nothing but poor things about his Avengers. I just think it comes down to a case of the writer being on the wrong project.

BANNED

Here's the thing about Jason Aaron,
    he is good at Anti-Heroes, blood and violence, his other stuff just aren't that great.

His run on Ghost Rider is pretty good, it's like the edgy stuff of Marvel,
    his run on Punisher is also pretty solid,
    his run on wolverine and x-men is pretty solid,
    his run on Doctor Strange and Thor is polarizing, but has its moments.

Then we got his Avengers run,
    which would have worked a lot better as a Midnight Sons book,
    which would feature Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, Blade, Moon Knight, Hellstorm,
    just look at his villains, Mephisto, Dracula, Namor, and all the magical stuff,
    even the Avengers B.C. would work better as magical stuff,
    like there is indeed a history of good and evil on the magical side of things,
    so that could work.
    But this is an Avengers book, and Aaron just don't deliver anything about the existing Avengers roster,
    so it is not really an Avengers book.

I find it really strange, alot of writers have struggled with the main characters in the Avengers title because characters like Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Captain Marvel and Black Panther have their own titles and have been governed by that.
    Sometimes Aarons Avengers doesn't feel like it is in the 616 universe, Aaron should be knocking this title out of the park with virtually having free reign on this title and its big name characters but he would be lucky to make it to 2nd base with any of his recent story arcs.
    This title really lacks character interaction and most of the characters feel like back ground characters.
    Maybe Aaron isn't suited to a team book, some writers are only good with individual spotlight characters.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    I find it really strange, alot of writers have struggled with the main characters in the Avengers title because characters like Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Captain Marvel and Black Panther have their own titles and have been governed by that.
    Sometimes Aarons Avengers doesn't feel like it is in the 616 universe, Aaron should be knocking this title out of the park with virtually having free reign on this title and its big name characters but he would be lucky to make it to 2nd base with any of his recent story arcs.
    This title really lacks character interaction and most of the characters feel like back ground characters.
    Maybe Aaron isn't suited to a team book, some writers are only good with individual spotlight characters.
    I don't think that's the problem. It's not that he can't handle a team title or he is restricted, though that might be it. He just wants his big plots and he wants that first and foremost. The lack of character development is on purpose. This run is about his ideas and plots. It's like a poor man version of Grant Morrison's Justice League. I think that's the closest comparison to this run. Aaron wants this to be a huge Avengers run with minimum character development and big spectacle. It's just not well liked in a lot of circles because it's not done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thecoffeeman View Post
    Why is his run considered so terrible? I was going to read it as my first foray into the team but I've heard such overwhelming negativity... I picked up Avengers: Tech-On #1 today (a manga-inspired spin-off) instead and thought it was pretty fun.
    I read Avengers Tech-on but it felt like it was not in the 616 universe and more aimed at a younger audience similar to how Marvel Adventures Avengers was. Plus etc was that art for the Red Skull ?, I thought it was just another Earth conquering alien.
    Last edited by PhoenixThanos; 08-13-2021 at 05:05 PM.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Aaron's Avengers run has been absolutely terrible. The best thing about it so far is the roster and that so far he has actually resisted his urge to have the Orb show up.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

So in Aaron's latest newsletter he said that issue #750 is leading to his "crescendo" on the title and everything in Marvel.

He may be done at #775 or a 12 issue arc

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I hear that it is outselling Justice League.
    Aaron's avengers put me off all marvel comics

Bendis superman did the same for DC

So this comparison does not surprise me at all

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Aaron's avengers put me off all marvel comics

Bendis superman did the same for DC

So this comparison does not surprise me at all
    Wow they both made you stop reading all Marvel or DC comics? That is just awful to hear.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    So in Aaron's latest newsletter he said that issue #750 is leading to his "crescendo" on the title and everything in Marvel.

That’s not soon enough for me. That’s like an eternity. I was hoping he’d be gone by the Fall!

I read Avengers The Final Host and I thought it was horrible, one of the worst comicbooks I've read in the last few years.

I try to avoid reading stuff I have a feeling I won't like, but since this volume was free in Comixology, I thought "why not". I was surprised as how much I disliked it. I can't even remember what I didn't like, probably everything plotwise, because I liked Ed McGuinness pencils, not enough to save the book though.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post

The FCBD issue sets up issue 50/750.