Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Aaron's Avengers

Why is his run considered so terrible? I was going to read it as my first foray into the team but I've heard such overwhelming negativity... I picked up Avengers: Tech-On #1 today (a manga-inspired spin-off) instead and thought it was pretty fun.

Incredible Member

You ever heard the phrase, smashing action figures together? That is Aaron's run. It's mindless action. Character development is almost non-existent. He has retconned so many things to get this story to work. Retcons designed to overwrite better written stories than this one. Tony's dad is in league with Mephisto! She-Hulk hated being who she was and wants to be a dumb brute! Etc, etc. There were humans a million years ago! Gaea wasn't Thor's mom! It was the Phoenix! Killing off Kenneth for starbaby! A tournament of the phoenix where the characters get new costumes and fight in nonsensical and random battles. It's so random and trying to be zany and dumb.

Half of the characters could be removed and nothing would change. She-Hulk is just there to be a dumb brute. Her classic, beloved personality gone because really he wanted Bruce but got stuck with Jen. Carol is there. Cap does things. Black Panther is the one who does the most along with Blade. Who shouldn't be an Avenger IMO. Plots just happen and end just as suddenly. It's less of a grand narrative and more him jamming everything he wants in one plot.

It really does feel like a child came up with a lot of these ideas. But it so badly done that it feels stupid. I have no problem with a writer coming up with a thousand ideas a page but it has to be good. And nothing about this reads as good.

Quote Originally Posted by thecoffeeman View Post
    Why is his run considered so terrible? I was going to read it as my first foray into the team but I've heard such overwhelming negativity... I picked up Avengers: Tech-On #1 today (a manga-inspired spin-off) instead and thought it was pretty fun.
    It’s written by Zub, not Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    It’s written by Zub, not Aaron.
    Yep. I don’t know why I mentioned both, I guess because both involve the Avengers and the latter was fresh on my mind after reading.

I hear that it is outselling Justice League.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetaryDevastation View Post
    You ever heard the phrase, smashing action figures together? That is Aaron's run. It's mindless action. Character development is almost non-existent. He has retconned so many things to get this story to work. Retcons designed to overwrite better written stories than this one. Tony's dad is in league with Mephisto! She-Hulk hated being who she was and wants to be a dumb brute! Etc, etc. There were humans a million years ago! Gaea wasn't Thor's mom! It was the Phoenix! Killing off Kenneth for starbaby! A tournament of the phoenix where the characters get new costumes and fight in nonsensical and random battles. It's so random and trying to be zany and dumb.

Half of the characters could be removed and nothing would change. She-Hulk is just there to be a dumb brute. Her classic, beloved personality gone because really he wanted Bruce but got stuck with Jen. Carol is there. Cap does things. Black Panther is the one who does the most along with Blade. Who shouldn't be an Avenger IMO. Plots just happen and end just as suddenly. It's less of a grand narrative and more him jamming everything he wants in one plot.

It really does feel like a child came up with a lot of these ideas. But it so badly done that it feels stupid. I have no problem with a writer coming up with a thousand ideas a page but it has to be good. And nothing about this reads as good.
    This is honestly pretty accurate.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I hear that it is outselling Justice League.
    For real?!
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

Thor boned Jen though, that is new.

Honestly, Jason's run isn't very good. He could do better. Early on there was some interesting stuff with Winter Guard, Namor, Dracula. But that was like 30 issues ago...

Honestly, I expect this this run to end soon. I hope someone better takes over.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I'm impressed that's it's more dumb than some of the pre-Heroes Return crap.
    "Cable was right!"

Aaron is a writer who frustrates me, because a lot of what he does *sounds* great on a conceptual level and then he just ... doesn't ... quite ... make it.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    For real?!
    For real. Although I'm not sure if it's because of the post-Synder stuff.
    "Cable was right!"

Aaron has a string affinity towards vampire, supernatural and obscure stuff. He did it during his X run, he does it here.

I have read and collected EVERY Avengers book since #47 of the initial run (and gone back and picked up everything else except #4!), so I’ve been with the team a while. Some of the reasons I consider Aaron’s run to be one of the worst in the book’s history include, but are not limited to:

1) His almost complete lack of characterization...everything is just one big slugfest. And when he does try his hand at it, it’s SO surface!
    2) His stories go on and on and ON and ON! Aside from the single issue 1 million BC issues (which I consider the best of his run!), every story arc could have been pared down by an issue or two.
    3) His line-up has gotten stale. One thing that has always made the Avengers both fun AND interesting was their revolving roster. I miss that.
    4) There haven’t been enough stories spotlighting each member....both the Moon Knight and Phoenix stories were fun enough, but they were peripheral characters, while the current World War She-Hulk storyline is too little too late (Though, in all fairness, I have liked some of the other choices he’s made with Jen).
    5) At times it seems as if he’s writing the book for himself, and no one else.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again....I would LOVE to see Jim Zub take over the book....no one “gets” the Avengers the way Jim does, other than maybe Christos Gage. But my gut tells me Aaron wants to beat both Hickman’s and Bendis’ runs, so we’ll have him for at least another year.
    And if he makes it to #65, he’ll probably stick around to #75. And if he hits #75, well, #100 isn’t that far off.
    Nope, I doubt Aaron is going anywhere any time soon.
    Last edited by SilverScarlet; 08-12-2021 at 02:03 AM.

Mighty Member

I only read the first arc so I clocked out pretty early.
    For me, the first couple of issues where actually good, but as the arc continued, the less I cared. From what I can gather, there's no room to breath. Rather than having an overall theme or overarching plot, it seems to be a series where a bunch of stuff happens. I saw an advert for "World War She-Hulk" and even seeing it advertised has worn me out. From Moon Knight to Phoenix Tournaments to Heroes Reborn to this, it seems like there isn't room to breath.
    Even Hickman and Bendis, both of whom wrote massive epics with a large cast of characters, knew when to stop and breath. You'd get an issue or two where you'll get a single character story or a few issues where they deal with a smaller threat. It just adds breathing space.
    If you're going from massive epic to massive epic however, it feels exhausting to read.

I mean the first arc was the Avengers taking down a celestial. That is overkill for a first arc, that's the sort of thing you build up to for a few arcs, make it the third arc you do at least.
    The whole thing feels like it would be best if they were a series of Graphic Novels or minis released every few months as opposed to a serial comic.

I gotta say. 2 issues in and I’m digging WWSH. Now I’m not going to start patting Aaron on the back, but I will give this arc a chance.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark