Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

So only a week before this is released. Still not holding my breath since i already saw red flags based on the writer's comments. But i hope i'm wrong.

Extraordinary Member

Wonder Woman: Evolution #1 Preview
    Writer: Stephanie Phillips
    Artist: Mike Hawthorne

Surprisingly decent start imo but even though it’s mostly prologue.

Didn’t do a lot of the stuff I was suspecting based on interviews (Superman and Wonder Woman actually have nice friendship moment). I’d check it out, folks.

Good start.

spoilers:
    It does have Superman giving a one-sided speech to Diana about human behavior.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    And I did not like Venessa's "upgrade look" at all.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 11-16-2021 at 06:10 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I didn't like it much. The art with Diana was just too Aeon Flux for my tastes.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Good start.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Good thing Superman, the alien, is there to help Diana being more human. It's as if we couldn't have thought that one up ourselves.

Do the editors know that this story trope with Wonder Woman is pretty much worn out? Either that, or get new writers.

And based on the art I have seen, we are not getting the 'beauty of Aphrodite' aspect out of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Good start.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Maybe spoilers:
    my expectations were low but I can’t say it particularly bothered me while reading it.
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

I liked it. I know a lot of people here have issues about Vanessa's Silver Swan, but I actually like how Robinson reinterpreted her. I also liked her inclusion here. She's a great opening villain for a story about evolution, survival, and failure for Diana. I also liked how the writer incorporated the nanites into Silver Swan's abilities, so she can literally upgrade herself. It reminded me a little of Bloodlines Silver Swan. Lastly, I like that Swan goes after innocent people because she feels she herself was innocent once and wasn't saved. I think it gives her a purpose and longevity as a villain.

I know people are always concerned about Superman showing up in stories, but I didn't see the issue here. Diana is upset about Silver Swan and the fact that she can't save her. Superman didn't seem like he was preaching but being a friend. She also had a good and observant one-liner about his sometimes annoying optimism. They came off like equals in every way. I do think the evolution - ha! - of their conversation was kinda awkward considering how the conversation began.

The only thing I did not like was the very, very beginning when we see Diana fighting aliens - or whatever they are. The dialogue was too abstract, and without context, it was difficulty to understand what message I am supposed to learn from it. I hope the actual story provides a lot more guidance to the reader.

Nyssane, you're right. It does have a very Aeon Flux style to it. I kinda like it though.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I liked it. I know a lot of people here have issues about Vanessa's Silver Swan, but I actually like how Robinson reinterpreted her. I also liked her inclusion here. She's a great opening villain for a story about evolution, survival, and failure for Diana. I also liked how the writer incorporated the nanites into Silver Swan's abilities, so she can literally upgrade herself. It reminded me a little of Bloodlines Silver Swan. Lastly, I like that Swan goes after innocent people because she feels she herself was innocent once and wasn't saved. I think it gives her a purpose and longevity as a villain.

I know people are always concerned about Superman showing up in stories, but I didn't see the issue here. Diana is upset about Silver Swan and the fact that she can't save her. Superman didn't seem like he was preaching but being a friend. She also had a good and observant one-liner about his sometimes annoying optimism. They came off like equals in every way. I do think the evolution - ha! - of their conversation was kinda awkward considering how the conversation began.

The only thing I did not like was the very, very beginning when we see Diana fighting aliens - or whatever they are. The dialogue was too abstract, and without context, it was difficulty to understand what message I am supposed to learn from it. I hope the actual story provides a lot more guidance to the reader.

Nyssane, you're right. It does have a very Aeon Flux style to it. I kinda like it though.
    My issue with the conversation is more-so that he takes to Diana about passion and why humans do dumb stuff. But Diana as a kid was always pushing herself in the same way he describes humans as doing, (at least most versions of Diana as a kid). So it just felt off to me.

I liked the rest of their interaction though.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It was decent, I am just not a fan of Dianas look. She is drawn very....harsh?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It was decent, I am just not a fan of Dianas look. She is drawn very....harsh?
    Well, the writer is an MMA fighter. So I'm assuming Diana's aggressive, more physical look is a conscious choice.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Reception elsewhere seems pretty positive albeit cautiously so, think I’ll check out the first issue after all.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Reception elsewhere seems pretty positive albeit cautiously so, think I’ll check out the first issue after all.
    It’s strange, I’ve felt I was one of the bigger skeptics of this but now it feels I’ve liked it the most.

I like this issue, the fight and discussion with Vanessa is strong and well executed.
    The evolution of Silver Swan bears a resemblance to the green aliens on the first page.
    The conversation with Sup does not seem to me to add much, but it does not negative either.
    Nor do I think it generates a hook but it invites you to know what will happen in the next issue.
    The art sometimes is good and sometimes is awful (Diana's face specially)