Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It’s strange, I’ve felt I was one of the bigger skeptics of this but now it feels I’ve liked it the most.
    I was super excited to see Seeley write Superman in Superman vs. Lobo and I bailed after one issue because of how mediocre it was. Sometimes people surprise you or disappoint you.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yyyea I wasn't impressed with this. Very stiff art, bringing back the awful Robinson Vanessa instead of just letting that incarnation fade away as it deserves, and finally page after page of patronizing navel-gazing with Superman. The only good part was Diana going "lol how does Lois put up with this"

Extraordinary Member

Gonna echo Gaius and say I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Is anyone else thinking this was created as a fill-in for the regular Wonder Woman comic?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Is anyone else thinking this was created as a fill-in for the regular Wonder Woman comic?
    I was honestly surprised by how much this could fit into the ongoing. usually when writers get this kind of freedom they want to go 100% into their own thing, but it actually feels like some level of consistency was implemented.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 11-16-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Not particularly but I wouldn't be surprised if DC maybe considered Philips for the Wonder Woman book when planning Infinite Frontier.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I didn't like it much. The art with Diana was just too Aeon Flux for my tastes.
    OMG that art was terrible! I couldn't get past it, Diana didn't look or sound like herself. That tiara is hideous and the whole time I kept wondering who the the squared off eagle reminded me of. I finally figured out it was a combination of Thunderbird and Ultra Boy, it was very distracting. Yuck.

To be fair, I did like a lot of the art that wasn't Diana. But any time Diana turned to the side I was... No. Please. God no. I showed my partner a few scans and he replied, "Did she run into a window?"

The coloring was great though!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    To be fair, I did like a lot of the art that wasn't Diana. But any time Diana turned to the side I was... No. Please. God no. I showed my partner a few scans and he replied, "Did she run into a window?"

The coloring was great though!
    Yeah, Bellaire's probably the first colorist who I've been paying particular attention to since Romulo Fajardo Jr.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

This is the proof of what happens, when you let writers that don't know Diana be the ones writing a book about her.

''It was really interesting to listen to how Mike created this visual kind of juxtaposition between the two characters. I think having them in conversation in that moment, offers more of that juxtaposition. Like, this is how Clark sees humanity. And Diana has this ruthlessness, like like Mike said, this kind of like made to be a warrior. Whereas Clark has this really embedded sense of humanity. Even though he isn’t one of us. He’s the best of us. And that’s really fascinating to me. And just one of the things that I love so much about Superman. But it makes Diana so much more interesting in contrast, because the journey that she’s about to take, well, there might be some more Superman along the way, it’s not going to be in the way that we just saw.
    I think, on a very personal level for Diana, that question becomes what is her place in this? I think Clark has defined his place a little bit more, and he’s more comfortable with that role. Whereas Diana exists in so many different realms. Like, she’s in the Justice League with human and hangs with gods at times. Look at her amazing New 52 run, where she’s literally with all of these mythical gods. And I think that’s something about her character that is really fascinating. But it’s often at war with all those different factions. So trying to have her at the center of this and say, ‘Where do I fit into those pieces?’ While this giant cosmic entity is also asking this not just of her but of humanity at large. Where does humanity fit into the larger scheme of what’s happening in the universe? And then where is Diana centered within all of that? So it’s kind of asking that question twofold, and forcing Diana to think about that in a very personal way.

What made this writer think that Diana doesn't have a clear idea about her place on earth among humans, or that her world is just about her being a warrior fighting Gods? Funny because they love to talk about how WW is not that relatable. But they have no problem to once again, talk about Superman acting almost like this Jesus Christ figure, that helps our lost confused girl to find her way. Since he is not human but still is the best of us. So he is more than happy to help the not ''relatable'' warrior Goddess to find answers. Sigh.

Art isn't very exciting and will take some time to get used to.

I was a bit optimistic after I read that short story in anniversary issue by Phillips and I think this issue met my expectations. Main issue, asides of art, for me were those three opening pages. I feel like instead of them they could have done more pages for ending sequence where we could have a bit better idea of whats coming up. I think I'll try 2 more issues and make up my mind.

It is amazing how much every word out of these creators' mouths has killed any enthusiasm I might've had for this book. It makes me want to bury my face in a pillow and scream.

I'll follow the spoilers and maybe look at the trade if it turns around, but based on literally everything Stephanie Phillips and Mike Hawthorne have said: hard pass.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    This is the proof of what happens, when you let writers that don't know Diana be the ones writing a book about her.

''It was really interesting to listen to how Mike created this visual kind of juxtaposition between the two characters. I think having them in conversation in that moment, offers more of that juxtaposition. Like, this is how Clark sees humanity. And Diana has this ruthlessness, like like Mike said, this kind of like made to be a warrior. Whereas Clark has this really embedded sense of humanity. Even though he isn’t one of us. He’s the best of us. And that’s really fascinating to me.
    And this is why I appreciate the first Wonder Woman film so much. Nope, it was not perfect, but Heinberg and Jenkins did indeed capture the essence of Diana: compassion, love, humanity, and a profound desire to protect the people of this new world she came to, despite those people's flaws. WTF is this thing about Superman and Diana being juxtaposed because of her ruthlessness and his humanity?? I mean, come on. There is nothing wrong with two members of the Trinity sharing a trait, and this trait (humanity) is what Clark and Diana share: a deep sense of humanity despite neither one being technically human.

I couldn't go past the moment in Wonder Woman: Evolution where Superman (who else?) asked "Diana": "Would you really have even considered letting [the little girl that Silver Swan dropped] fall just to stop Vanessa?" and then "Diana" (yes, in quotes, because this is not Diana) responded "Not to stop her...to help her." What??? Clearly, this writer does not get Diana at all. Vanessa could be helped any other time. Letting an innocent girl drop to her death should not EVER be an option/possibility for Diana, period. She will always choose saving innocent lives above anything else.

When I read that I had enough (plus the art was kind of an eyesore).
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 11-17-2021 at 09:24 PM.