Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    And this is why I appreciate the first Wonder Woman film so much. Nope, it was not perfect, but Heinberg and Jenkins did indeed capture the essence of Diana: compassion, love, humanity, and a profound desire to protect the people of this new world she came to, despite those people's flaws. WTF is this thing about Superman and Diana being juxtaposed because of her ruthlessness and his humanity?? I mean, come on. There is nothing wrong with two members of the Trinity sharing a trait, and this trait (humanity) is what Clark and Diana share: a deep sense of humanity despite neither one being technically human.

I couldn't go past the moment where Superman (who else?) asked Diana: [SPOILER]"Would you really have even considered letting [the little girl that Silver Swan dropped] fall just to stop Vanessa?" and then "Diana" (yes, in quotes, because this is not Diana) responded "Not to stop her...to help her." Clearly, this writer does not get Diana. Vanessa could be helped any other time. Letting an innocent girl drop to her death should not EVER be an option for Diana[/SPOILER] , period. She would simply save innocent lives above anything else.

When I read that I had enough.
    Feels to me that these writers should be writing superman and not ww. Since they think diana is more of a symbol than a character, a ruthlessness of being a warrior that does not "connect" with humanity(which proves they don't know a thing about diana). While superman is according to them the best human and so fascinating. Why are they writing ww? It is clear they relate to sm more and find him fascinating. They should be writing him instead.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I couldn't go past the moment in Wonder Woman: Evolution where Superman (who else?) asked "Diana": "Would you really have even considered letting [the little girl that Silver Swan dropped] fall just to stop Vanessa?" and then "Diana" (yes, in quotes, because this is not Diana) responded "Not to stop her...to help her." What???

Wow. Screw this comic.

I'm sorry, but this is abysmal writing. Wonder Woman...Wonder Woman...absolutely does not need Superman--or anyone--to explain the notion of passion or seeking challenges to her.
    What do they think Diana's backstory and motivation is? Suffering Sappho!!!

It's nonsense like this that inspires such dread when Diana and Clark share a scene together. I've said it before, but they don't complement each other. They don't contrast, they don't juxtapose, and when writers try to force it, we end up with scenes like this. Or scenes like that Superman/Wonder Woman comic where Diana needed to be told to protect civilians.

Stephanie Phillips says we might see Superman appear again later in the series. That is a f*****g threat!

When they first announced this story, the premise sounded fun. Aliens want to wipe out humanity, so Diana has to convince them not to. Sounds perfect for her--who better to defend humanity than someone who sees the best in people?
    But no. Turns out, the conflict of this story is going to be: "How can Wonder Woman of all people defend humanity?! She doesn't understand people! She doesn't understand humanity! She's not even human herself!"

Yet another wrong-headed approach to the character and more wasted potential. Maybe Phillips will turn it around and salvage, but this is not a good first impression.
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 11-18-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

I'm sorry, but this is abysmal writing. Wonder Woman...Wonder Woman...absolutely does not need Superman--or anyone--to explain the notion of passion or seeking challenges to her.

It's nonsense like this that inspires such dread when Diana and Clark share a scene together. I've said it before, but they don't complement each other. They don't contrast, they don't juxtapose, and when writers try to force it, we end up with scenes like this. Or scenes like that Superman/Wonder Woman comic where Diana needed to be told to protect civilians.

Stephanie Phillips says we might see Superman appear again later in the series. That is a f*****g threat!

When they first announced this story, the premise sounded fun. Aliens want to wipe out humanity, so Diana has to convince them not to. Sounds perfect for her--who better to defend humanity than someone who sees the best in people?
    But no. Turns out, the conflict of this story is going to be: "How can Wonder Woman of all people defend humanity?! She doesn't understand people! She doesn't understand humanity! She's not even human herself!"

Yet another wrong-headed approach to the character and more wasted potential. Maybe Phillips will turn it around and salvage, but this is not a good first impression.
    I just can't get over that art. If they were trying to sell me the story based on the artwork, it would be a quick no-sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

It was weird too because Superman said the story of that guy who was determined to climb Mount Everest reminded him of Diana, and I’m like “yeah, it should…”.

It feels like this story, with this concept of evolution, is leaning into “Diana is freaking old and is loosing her passion” but makes it sound like it was something she never had instead of something she’s been loosing over time.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Does every Wonder Woman: Evolution interviewer have to ask Philips about her work on Halrey Quinn?
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Does every Wonder Woman: Evolution interviewer have to ask Philips about her work on Halrey Quinn?
    Biting my fist every time I see that name.

It's her current other DC ongoing, so I'm not surprised and it's not like a DC interviewer will ask about her indy work.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Wonder Woman vs. the Justice League? Is she getting her own Tower of Babel - I never read League of One, so I don't know if that's comparable. It's interesting that Batman doesn't seem like he's against her but John. Not certain if that's just to make sure we see his face on the cover or not.

I'm so excited! I'm also so terrified! Regardless of what happens in the issue, I foresee at least 5 threads dedicated to this fight, power levels, depowering, Wonder Woman vs. Superman, Wonder Woman vs. Batman, and of course how this portrays Wonder Woman's humanity or lack thereof.

Oh well, this is close to my birthday, so I look forward to the issue and the discussions.

Last edited by Gaius; 11-19-2021 at 10:54 AM.

lol

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Win lose or draw, regardless of the quality of the story that variant is fire.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.