Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

Hmmm...I've liked a decent amount of what Phillips has written do far so I'm hoping this isn't just going to be a Warrior Woman book but the art so far ain't promising in that regard.
    Portion from this interview here she gave seems to suggest not all the trials will be physical ones. Though yeah, it all remains to be seen.

Newsarama: This has shades of classic Greek mythology, but also the various cosmic superhero trials. What are you aiming for here?

Phillips: Personally, I am aiming for an exploration of Wonder Woman via her relationships, specifically to the Justice League, the Amazons, and even to humanity as a whole. I really like this foil as a chance to ask questions about Diana’s priorities, her moral compass, and even her understanding of her own identity and sense of belonging.

I would also say there’s a bit of a Platonic dialogue happening in this book. As Diana is left to think about how she defines failure and success, as well as how she interacts with the many different worlds she’s a part of, she will have different 'guides' for these discussions. I think the people Diana converses with will, at points, be a little surprising to Diana (and readers!), and I’m really excited to see that unfold
    Newsarama: What are this challenges that Diana is up against?

Phillips: This is tough to answer without giving too much away, but I will say that the trials are not what Diana expects. She is ready with a sword to face oncoming alien enemies, but there is a lot more to this challenge than Diana was anticipating, and the struggles will take a pretty drastic psychological toll on our hero.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

This project has a really interesting premise. Looking forward to it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm in for two issues and I'll decide afterwards if I'm in for the haul. Interesting premise, glad it's Diana doing something sci-fi.

I'm here for Diana with some muscle, however.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    How about Otto Schmidt?

Lol, just realized she's using the lasso to bind her hair.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Lol, just realized she's using the lasso to bind her hair.
    I know it's just a cover and might not lead to anything, but of all the villains to show her wielding a sword against, Vanessa really is the worst possible option.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I know it's just a cover and might not lead to anything, but of all the villains to show her wielding a sword against, Vanessa really is the worst possible option.
    I wanted the Kapatelis women back but definitely not like this.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

The art....not a big fan of....sadly not that excited about this title

Portion from this interview here she gave seems to suggest not all the trials will be physical ones. Though yeah, it all remains to be seen.
    Going back and reading this interview in full, something didn't sit all that right with me. It feels as if Phillips starts off saying "I got the mythology of the character, but not the humanity" so then they thought about it, and now they've written a story where Diana is "ready with her sword" to face the challenges but it ends up testing her in psychological ways. And all of that seems tied into the theme of "Evolution". And, to me, it just reads like Phillips is saying they didn't really understand Diana as a human before, so instead of going and discovering that part of Diana that already exists, they've written a story where Diana has to evolve beyond being Warrior Woman to something more.

I don't know, sometimes it feels like writers use their time with Diana to "figure out" how they feel about her, or figure out things that are already there, and decide to tell us it like its new. I am ready to throw caution to the wind and just enjoy the cosmic wildness of this story, but this interview didn't do a lot to support me in that.

I am, of course, making huge assumptions about Phillips' take without having the story to go on, but my antenna is easily pinged for perspectives like this when it comes to Diana. Instead of a writer essentially saying "I didn't understand her, so I wrote a story to figure out my take", I long for a writer to come to her being like "I get her, she's not that complicated, there are heaps of great stories defining who she is, I'm going to tell an amazing story building on the great foundations set by other writers, let's go!"

Yeah I'm worried about that too. It might turn out to be a non issue, but we'll see.

Mighty Member

I am cautiously optimistic about Wonder Woman Evolution, a strong Sci Fi theme is a welcome change of the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    As far as power levels, I'm generally against any character being able to move planets, unless it's an abstract universal entity like Eternity from the Marvel Universe.
    That sounds incredible odd for an abstract universal entity, don't you know how insignificant most planets even in comparison to the size of a solar system are, and how indignificant a solar system in comparison to a galaxy is, a planet in comparison to the universe is far less than a sand grain in the desert to such a degree that it is more like a molecule or less in comparison to the entire planet. An abstract universal entity should move more than entire solar systems with the blink of an eye.

And where is even the difference between moving a planet, or just a moon, or even just an island for this discussion, anything on mountain scale or above is far out of the capabilities of humaniniy so far, and that is what this kind of comic superheroes Wonder Woman is as 1 of the oldest part of should be, for anything else there is the street level with Batman, Captain America, higher the Spider-family and their villains, and the Hawks, Vixen's, Thing's, Iron Man's, and so on. Nukes as example are treated as far too powerful in many comics, they are crazy powerful from a human perspective, but their explosive energy should not even threaten superheroes and supervillains far below Wonder Woman's ballpark.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 08-17-2021 at 05:58 AM.

Philips has a SubStack now ('cause I guess all the cool kids are doing it now) where she talks a bit more about her creative approach to the book.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLyo View Post
    Going back and reading this interview in full, something didn't sit all that right with me. It feels as if Phillips starts off saying "I got the mythology of the character, but not the humanity" so then they thought about it, and now they've written a story where Diana is "ready with her sword" to face the challenges but it ends up testing her in psychological ways. And all of that seems tied into the theme of "Evolution". And, to me, it just reads like Phillips is saying they didn't really understand Diana as a human before, so instead of going and discovering that part of Diana that already exists, they've written a story where Diana has to evolve beyond being Warrior Woman to something more.

I don't know, sometimes it feels like writers use their time with Diana to "figure out" how they feel about her, or figure out things that are already there, and decide to tell us it like its new. I am ready to throw caution to the wind and just enjoy the cosmic wildness of this story, but this interview didn't do a lot to support me in that.

I am, of course, making huge assumptions about Phillips' take without having the story to go on, but my antenna is easily pinged for perspectives like this when it comes to Diana. Instead of a writer essentially saying "I didn't understand her, so I wrote a story to figure out my take", I long for a writer to come to her being like "I get her, she's not that complicated, there are heaps of great stories defining who she is, I'm going to tell an amazing story building on the great foundations set by other writers, let's go!"
    You're not entirely far off. Phillips goes a bit more into it in the aforementioned stuff about seeing Diana more as a symbol than a character, at least when she broached the character.

We can always dream the big dreams…
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Philips has a SubStack now ('cause I guess all the cool kids are doing it now) where she talks a bit more about her creative approach to the book.

You're not entirely far off. Phillips goes a bit more into it in the aforementioned stuff about seeing Diana more as a symbol than a character, at least when she broached the character.
    That's the vibe I've gotten as well, but frankly that's been what nearly every writer has said coming onto Diana's book and I've given worse writers a shot for less money. I'm giving this one a try, but we'll see.

I don't get what's so alienating about Wonder Woman that isn't about Harley Quinn, Superman or the like. They're deep, but not complex, and the only way I can ostensibly see someone saying they don't see humanity in Diana is if they never bother to really read her own book since every writer seems to complain the same thing and make their run about humanizing her.

How can this keep happening and nobody succeed? spoilers:
    Because they're trying to insert something into a space that's already filled.
    end of spoilers

But it's possible this will be a cool sci-fi story anyway and that's what I'm hoping for.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-19-2021 at 09:45 PM.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.