Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

Sups was for sure coughing up sand for the next week.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

This is the only return offense Superman gets at all.

Her overpowers her when he starts fighting back, and she admits she can't beat him. So he did outshine her there.

Honestly League Of One had a lot of potential. But in my opinion they took a very simplistic approach. We didn't really see Diana using her brain much. I would have loved to see her use her wise as athena intelect, and come up with a clever plan. There was no need to have her fight the JL in a conventional way. It was a perfect oportunity to explore her intelect and her side as a strategist. But whatwe got wasn't that great in my opinion. And the part where SM overpowers her and she ssays she couldn't beat him is like the final nail on the coffin.

Mighty Member

Because the book gave them both a moment to sock one another so even with that line it comes off as even to me.
    How, that makes absolutely no sense to me?

If 2 fighters hit each other for a bit, and after that the 1 fighter who initiated the fight with a surprise-attack, literally says to the other: I knew i couldn't actually beat you in combat.
    That makes them look the opposite of even, and in Wonder Woman's case comes the other context i mentioned on top of that, to make it even worse.

It's more in-character and impressive to me that she out-smarted him there than if she could kick his ass.
    Even her plan looks worse than it needed to be, because she seemingly needed to weaken him first for it to work, the entire encounter is a lose-lose situation for Wonder Woman. To kick a Superman around were it don't looks like he even defends himself because she couldn't come up with a better plan, then he starts to defend himself and it looks more like a fight and like he gets the upperhand, and then the worst part she immediately stops fighting and tells him she knew she couldn't actually beat him in combat. What she says about her plan seems even unreasonable in that context, because Superman don't looks weakened at all, and he would have had no trouble to fight back while so much weakened that it seemingly even slows him down to a notable degree if it would be true.

And no, Superman does not outshine in her in that book.
    He kind of does in that scene, because the book tells me that Superman is greater than anyone else in the Justice League and that includes Wonder Woman, unlike Wonder Woman who had an excuse for why she could get rid of anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Personlly I always read that line as "I can't beat you because we're evenly matched", not "I can't beat you because you're stronger".
    I would like to be able to read it that way, but nothing in that scene even indicated that, and what i wrote above is why i think that the scene absolutely sucks. If she would have at least said something like we are equals, or a fight would take too long or anything like that, the scene would have been more tolerable.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 09-07-2021 at 10:26 AM.

I don't think most people came away from that book thinking that Wonder Woman is weak. Not after everything she does there.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't think most people came away from that book thinking that Wonder Woman is weak. Not after everything she does there.
    Is there a poll out there that tells you that, or is that just a feeling? I know you aren't speaking for me when you say this.

Mighty Member

Weak is subjective, but i highly doubt most people did not think Wonder Woman is weaker than Superman after reading that scene.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Is there a poll out there that tells you that, or is that just a feeling? I know you aren't speaking for me when you say this.
    JLA A League of One is on plenty of recommendation lists for WW stories and specially graphic novels. So it seems like people walk out of it liking Diana more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Weak is subjective, but i highly doubt most people did not think Wonder Woman is weaker than Superman after reading that scene.
    That's because it's important to you that she beats Superman or is at least demonstrably on the same level. As others pointed out, Diana doesn't even claim that Superman can beat her, just that she can't beat him. Clearly this is an issue for you, but not for everyone.

All I'm saying is that not all WW fans have an issue with WW not necessarily being able to beat Superman, and I think most of us agree that it's one of the minor JL stories where Diana is treated like a compelling and loving character

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

JLA A League of One is on plenty of recommendation lists for WW stories and specially graphic novels. So it seems like people walk out of it liking Diana more often than not.
    Because it is on list of recommended Wonder Woman stories means that people wouldn't think she is weak? I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn if you are interested.

That's because it's important to you that she beats Superman or is at least demonstrably on the same level. As others pointed out, Diana doesn't even claim that Superman can beat her, just that she can't beat him. Clearly this is an issue for you, but not for everyone.

All I'm saying is that not all WW fans have an issue with WW not necessarily being able to beat Superman, and I think most of us agree that it's one of the minor JL stories where Diana is treated like a compelling and loving character
    I think it is a problem because she is said to be on his level. So it is annoying to see what we saw inj league of one. It makes it look like she is not even close to him. DC is the one to blame for that. They say she is on superman's ballpark. But they never put their money where their mouth is. So that leads to all these conversations of power level.

The story could have done better. It was the perfect opportunity to showcase her intellect. It would have been great to see Diana the strategist coming up with clever ways to stop the JL. It didn't need to be a physical confrontation. But they took the easy way out in my opinion, and did not take the time to make the most of the oportunity they had with that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    How, that makes absolutely no sense to me?

If 2 fighters hit each other for a bit, and after that the 1 fighter who initated the fight with a surprise-attack, literally says to the other: I knew i couldn't actually beat you in combat.
    That makes them look the opposite of even, and in Wonder Woman's case comes the other context i mentioned on top of that, to make it even worse.

Even her plan looks worse than it needed to be, because she seemingly needed to weaken him first for it to work, the entire encounter is a lose-lose situation for Wonder Woman. To kick a Superman around were it don't looks like he even defends himself because she couldn't come up with a better plan, then he starts to defend himself and it looks more like a fight and like he gets the upperhand, and then the worst part she immediately stops fighting and tells him she knew she couldn't actually beat him in combat. What she says about her plan seems even unreasonable in that context, because Superman don't looks weakened at all, and he would have had no trouble to fight back while so much weakened that it seemingly even slows him down to a notable degree if it would be true.

He kind of does in that scene, because the book tells me that Superman is greater than anyone else in the Justice League and that includes Wonder Woman, uniike Wonder Woman who had an excuse for why she could get rid of anyone else.

I would like to be able to read it that way, but nothing in that scene even indicated that, and what i wrote above is why i think that the scene absolutely sucks. If she would have at least said something like we are equals, or a fight would take too long or anything like that, the scene would have been more tolerable.
    The entire point of that scene was to get him off planet to go rescue the other Leaguers she shot off into space with her kicking him around enough that it would make him weaker/slower.

Frankly, at this point this is coming off like the Superman fans who try to argue Superman stomping the League in the JL film was somehow more disrespectful him than it was to the other characters.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-07-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Mighty Member

I like how you pretend that your own opinion would be somehow more relevant than my opinion, and it don't even makes sense to say that most Wonder Woman fans would like that silly scene, because nothing about Wonder Woman making an odd plan that involves attacking a seemingly himself not even defending Superman and stating for no good reason that she knew she couldn't actually beat him in combat makes her any more compelling or loving.

I am not surprised that you have no issue with that, you found it even strong enough if Wonder Woman could merely flip buses, and the idea of a weak Wonder Woman goes even more against her entire concept than being so notable inferior to Superman after all. I find A League of One fine by the way, but that silly scene was unnecessary, and i know from a different discussion that i am certainly not the only fan of other Justice League heavy hitters than Superman on CBR who is annoyed with Superman upstaging the rest,

The entire point of that scene was to get him off planet to go rescue the other Leaguers she shot off into space with her kicking him around enough that it would make him weaker/slower.
    And it did not even look like as if that worked, and him easily being able to fight back also didn't let it look like he was noteworthy weakened and slowed down.

Frankly, at this point this is coming off like the Superman fans who try to argue Superman stomping the League in the JL film was somehow more disrespectful him than it was to the other characters.
    Wonder Woman has tricked each member individually, and that scene is even with the most and in my opinion extreme generous interpretation towards Wonder Woman at most telling us that her and Superman are equals like they should be, that is so extreme far away from Wonder Woman stomping the Justice League like Superman did in the Justice League movie i have no idea how you could even think of such a crazy comparison?
    Last edited by Rightoya; 09-07-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Why did she have to say she could never beat him in combat? She only needed to weaken him. Why they had to go out of their way to say that WW could never beat Superman? This is the same label that keeps saying WW is on his level. But they never put their money where their mouth is. League Of One should have avoided a physical battle between them. Diana should have come up with more clever ideas to take on her team mates. Just attacking them by surprise is not that much of a plan. It was the perfect oportunity to show her as being wise as Athena. But the results came out short.

I really like that story how it begins and how it ends, it is true that the resolution of how she gets rid of the rest of her team mates is not the best that has been seen and read.
    As for the story is iconic, well yes, here it was published, together with Action Comics 761, in an anthology to celebrate Diana's 75 anniversay, so ...

Doesn't sound very reassuring.