Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

For The Chariot I guess you could go with Reed Richards in the 'flying bathtub' if you wanted to push the chariot visual; Thor, of course, has an actual chariot, though again that's for the visual rather than anything else..

Somewhere in Wands should be Firelord, since he carries that fiery staff that would work well for Wands.

The Chariot is pulled by two Egyptian Sphinxes, so maybe Moon Knight? edit: Someone suggested Ghost Rider, and I dig it.

The Lovers represent a decision with permanent consequences (like a marriage) Who made an irreversible decision in the comics? One More Day?

Where would you guys put characters like Galactus and Silver Surfer? They kinda deserve to be in the deck.

I like Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel as Star, but can't really explain why. The Moon could also be Moon Knight, and the two dogs barking up at him would be Lockjaw and Cosmo.
    Last edited by Fort Nerd; 08-13-2021 at 12:07 PM.

I thought Ghost Rider was pretty good, but I see JG fitting too.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

this will be a big ongoing task.

Baxter Building has been destroy a number of times, lol. Classically it could be Battle of Baxter Building in the original volume around #39 or so?

It seems the Ancient One, from way back in Strangle Tales would also be a candidate for the Hanged Man, considering his sacrifice.

I think some cards might be stand ins for teams, whether present in comics or not.

Like a card to be The Invaders of WW2, or a card to be the original/best grouping of Defenders.

What, if any, stories like Korvac, or Skrull Invasion be like in the cards.

let's face it, with so many decades of stories there are more than enough example possibly.

Could 7 of Swords be the Skrull - INvasion?
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Sure, why not. And the X-Men in general on the Wheel of Fortune?

Carol Danvers story fits The Star, the hopey thing?

And I like Moon Knight for Moon too. Dogs mentioned are a plus!

Silver Surfer. Well he could be the Hermit in some respects.

He could be the Knight of Swords - Air?

He could be the 8 of Wands - speed. (btw, yes Firelord should be in the wands - so as a Herald, maybe he should be the 8 of Wands, for speed and fiery energy)

3 of Pentacles - achievements, recognition, skill - could be Tony or Reed, prefer Tony/Iron Man

10 of Pentacles should be the latter Secret Wars; the idea of Doom creating his own family from the FF variants and being the ruler, etc. That would fit that well.

How about 'places' or eras/realms in the Marvel universe?

I like 10 of Cups as Bifrost/ with Asgard in the background.

4 of Wands, could be Wakanda, as it is an expression of vast joy and some nature/seasonal things, perhaps?

4 of Pentacles could be Inhumans/Attilan as it shows a clinging on to material things, in the way they cling to their hidden existence perhaps.

6 of Cups could be Atlantis; it speaks to cherished memories, childhood so I extrapolate that to Atlantis as the pre existing civiliaztion half remembered in dreams, stories or legends.

So the Moon, could also be the Inhumans on the Moon, and that makes Lockjaw work even better.

Maybe we could have both Moon Knight *and* Daredevil as Justice since they both have strong aspects that way.

10 of Swords might be best as jean Grey, as the idea of death, but with some light still to be seen, is a call to her Phoenix roles.

Krakoa the mutant island could be 7 of Cups, the idea of multitude of visions (or the lives of Moira as Way of X stuff) of the future for mutants.

The classic battle between the Sphinx and Galactus in the old Byrne FF story would make a great Wheel of Fortune, given the timey, whimey nature, and of course most decks have a 'sphinx' in the images.
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Carol Danvers story fits The Star, the hopey thing?

And I like Moon Knight for Moon too. Dogs mentioned are a plus!

Silver Surfer. Well he could be the Hermit in some respects.

He could be the Knight of Swords - Air?

He could be the 8 of Wands - speed. (btw, yes Firelord should be in the wands - so as a Herald, maybe he should be the 8 of Wands, for speed and fiery energy)

3 of Pentacles - achievements, recognition, skill - could be Tony or Reed, prefer Tony/Iron Man

10 of Pentacles should be the latter Secret Wars; the idea of Doom creating his own family from the FF variants and being the ruler, etc. That would fit that well.

How about 'places' or eras/realms in the Marvel universe?

I like 10 of Cups as Bifrost/ with Asgard in the background.

4 of Wands, could be Wakanda, as it is an expression of vast joy and some nature/seasonal things, perhaps?

4 of Pentacles could be Inhumans/Attilan as it shows a clinging on to material things, in the way they cling to their hidden existence perhaps.

6 of Cups could be Atlantis; it speaks to cherished memories, childhood so I extrapolate that to Atlantis as the pre existing civiliaztion half remembered in dreams, stories or legends.

So the Moon, could also be the Inhumans on the Moon, and that makes Lockjaw work even better.

Maybe we could have both Moon Knight *and* Daredevil as Justice since they both have strong aspects that way.

10 of Swords might be best as jean Grey, as the idea of death, but with some light still to be seen, is a call to her Phoenix roles.

Krakoa the mutant island could be 7 of Cups, the idea of multitude of visions (or the lives of Moira as Way of X stuff) of the future for mutants.

The classic battle between the Sphinx and Galactus in the old Byrne FF story would make a great Wheel of Fortune, given the timey, whimey nature, and of course most decks have a 'sphinx' in the images.

Those are some great ideas for hard-to-match cards. However, I would preferably see Attilan and Inhumans in the Swords suit, as they are very strongly connected to air and we already made Black Bolt the King of Swords. One possibility is taking the image of Attilan, Wakanda, Atlantis and Asgard and slapping it on the Ace of their respective element, and moving the Fantastic Four to Knights. Another possibility for the Inhumans is whichever card represents unlocking hidden potential.

I was also thinking we should avoid using the same character twice (unless they're part of an event or group or something). We have Daredevil on Justice, so for 2 of Swords, if you really need a blind person, there's also Alicia. Arguably she'd fit even better as 8 of pentacles, a craftsman at work. Which also fits Forge, Iron Man, and a whole bunch of characters, probably, but I feel like maybe A-listers such as Iron Man should be saved for Major Arcana.

I dig the idea about Alicia. Works for me. The 2 of Swords seems 'removed' from life, and in a way Alicia is the eyes we don't have but need:

She reached the Surfer on his mission to find Earth for Galactus. She reached Him, during the Beehive story way back.. Good idea.

I think I do like your idea about Inhumans, as it puts the idea for the FF somewhere else.

In a way, they may deserve to be an iconic group in card. The Wheel of Fortune could apply to them, but also some of the 10s in suits, primarily Cups or Pentacles, as they indicate family connections.

It would be tempting but hard to align characters in suits/Major per their main designation:

All Inhumans in Swords

All Mutants in Wands

All Atlantean/similar as Cups

But it wouldn't work as the balance would not match.

But you could leave all non-above characters as the Major Arcana. Iron Man probably does have to be there.
    ~ Oberon ~

Yeah, that would be impossible. I mean, how many Atlanteans can you name, even? We can stick to the theme with Queens, but that's pretty much it.

PS. I like that you substituted Mutants for Asgardians in the Wands suit. It would make a lot more sense for, say, Cyclops and Jean to be the King and Queen, especially since they were both Phoenix hosts at some point. My only issue is that it would break with the theme of having the actual 4 Kings of Marvel as the 4 Kings of Tarot.
    PS2. I just realized that, due to a recent retcon, Phoenix is actually Thor's mom.
    Last edited by Fort Nerd; 08-14-2021 at 10:20 AM.

Are we still doing these? It's fun. I might try to draw some.

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Nerd View Post
    Are we still doing these? It's fun. I might try to draw some.
    I forgot about this thread, lol.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!