Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hi Morsoth!

There was a mutant character called Tarot who used cards. She seemed to be mutant and magical. I think she died a while ago but not sure if she is now resurrected.
    Cool, never heard of that character! I'll look into it for sure! Any TPB or collected edition worth buying that could have a good storyline with that character?

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    I read Tarot too. Been thinking of drawing my own deck of cards, and printing up a deck.

Your post makes me wonder if Marvel ever put out a Marvel Deck. I can easily see Spider-Man being the Fool, Dr. Strange being the Magician, the King of wands being Black Panther, Namor the King of Swords, Scarlet Witch being the High Priestess, etc, etc.
    I already checked, and they never released a Marvel-themed tarot deck. Let's hope they do someday, now that tarot is trendy! They could easily commission new art from their artists, and hopefully they do a 78-card deck fully illustrated, and not a pip-deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I too am a reader, since the early '70s. I have a paper in the Folklore Archives at WSU where I went to college. Blah blah blah, I could go on for ever.

But I'm very fascinated with Marvel and their use over time. You've given us a great catalog of relevant stories.

Some I'm going to need to read or reread. I also do a livestream and read Tarot.
    Very interesting! Is your paper available online? Also, do you have a YouTube account for these Live streams? I'm subscribed to many tarotists online, but I might not have found you yet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Avengers Vol. 3 issues #57-60:

The Scarlet Witch using tarot before being possessed by and then confronting the In-Betweener:
    OMG! Those are great! I'll order these issues right away! Thanks!
    Last edited by Morsoth; 08-12-2021 at 12:23 PM.

The fun thing about Tarot is there could be more than one choice for most things.

What would you use for 3 of Cups? Not every card is one figure or symbol. So to me, the 3 of cups would be about 3 people who have very close bonds or are celebrating their/someone's wedding. A lot of times this card comes up in that context.

But other things could apply.

Is the Hierophant someone like Thanos

or Kang?
    The Empress is the ultimate 'mother' symbol, so is that maybe Sue Storm,
    since she is the most known or best represented image of a mother in Marvel?
    and so on.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

The fun thing about Tarot is there could be more than one choice for most things.

What would you use for 3 of Cups? Not every card is one figure or symbol. So to me, the 3 of cups would be about 3 people who have very close bonds or are celebrating their/someone's wedding. A lot of times this card comes up in that context.

But other things could apply.

Is the Hierophant someone like Thanos

or Kang?
    The Empress is the ultimate 'mother' symbol, so is that maybe Sue Storm,
    since she is the most known or best represented image of a mother in Marvel?
    and so on.
    This is definitely an awesome project! I guess it's fair to assume that Doctor Strange would be The Magician. Now, my favorite card is The Hermit, not sure which solitary in introspective character could fill the role...

The Watcher or the Silver Surfer are the two immediate thoughts for Hermit.

btw, that is my wife's favorite card and she thought of Watcher.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Incredible Member

Death as…. Death would be a given as the Death Card, lol. I’d imagine. I’d go for the design they used of her in the Deadpool video game ftom some years ago.

The Watcher is a good choice, I like it a lot!

Spider-Man could be The Fool (for the associations), but it could also be The Hanged Man (visually), with him suspended.

One day I will finally give in and draw a bunch of Marvel characters as Tarot cards.

Thor as King of Wands, Namor as King of Cups, T'challa as King of Pentacles and Black Bolt as King of Swords?

The Fool is an Everyman,

so Spider man is a great choice.

The World, XXI Major Arcana, and sometimes seen as "the Universe" could be the Living Tribunal or similar very cosmic beings.

So, if we thought of "great moments" in Marvel stories, we could also find or suggest a Tarot card (Pip most likely, suit cards from the Minor ARcana)

to be those.

10 of Swords - An ending that still left a chance for light to return? The card literally shows a man stabbed in the back.
    What Marvel great moment could be that?

Or 2 of Cups, Harmony, balance, in a relationship

this could be Vision and Wanda's wedding, but certainly other ones or things.
    ~ Oberon ~

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Doom 2099 #1 (the 1993 series). The Romani known as Fortune uses tarot cards.

Edit: Found panels (courtesy of A Look Into 2099 Tumblr).

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I forgot about that one, Doom 2099.

Fort Nerd, those are interesting choices.

Thor and Panther would seem a traditional choice or way of thinking but I'm not sure of your reason for Black Bolt?

Care to say?

Of course I see Odin as the Hanged Man.
    Maybe Hercules as Strength, tempting with the Lion of course.

My wife thinks Moondragon would be a more fitting High Priestess and I can see that.

Wanda might make a good case for the Empress. She has been a mother and being a Nexus Being could align with the Mother Nature/Nurture aspects of the Empress.

Two of Swords - Daredevil, because the implication of blindness?

Six of Swords - okay, maybe a stretch. Frozen Captain America drifting before found by the Avengers? (usual: boat carrying someone away from sadness)

* On the other hand the Four of Swords would fit Frozen Cap better. The usual is a knight laying in state or as if dead.

More later, I'm sure.
    ~ Oberon ~

Fort Nerd, those are interesting choices.

Thor and Panther would seem a traditional choice or way of thinking but I'm not sure of your reason for Black Bolt?

Care to say?
    Wands = Fire = Thor uses lightning so it's a bit of a stretch, also uses a blunt weapon.
    Cups = Water = Namor, duh
    Pentacles = Earth = Black Panther and Wakanda in general are powered by a metal mined from the ground. They're also hidden in and disguised as jungle, literally surrounded by Earth's riches.
    Swords = Air = the kingdom of Attilan is usually suspended in the air, or high in the mountains, and Black Bolt's strongest and most iconic weapon is sound. (edit: and let's not forget the Inhumans get their superpowers from a gas)

All four characters are kings, and their kingdom is close to a particular element. Their personalities kinda fit the theme. It would be also relatively easy to match their respective Queens, Knights and Pages.

After that, things get a bit loose thematically.

6 of Pentacles = The Infinity Gauntlet and Thanos.
    10 of Cups = the Bifrost.
    6 of Swords could be Wolverine because of his claws? (He could also be the 3, if you draw only one hand with the 3 claws piercing through a heart.)
    10 of Pentacles = Yggdrasil, the Tree of Life, with 10 realms (9+ Heven).
    5 of Wands could be the Civil War?

What about the Major Arcana? There are some obvious choices, like Mephisto for the Devil card or Daredevil for Justice, but some would be really challenging. Who could be the Chariot, for instance?

edit:
    On the other hand the Four of Swords would fit Frozen Cap better. The usual is a knight laying in state or as if dead.
    I love this!
    Last edited by Fort Nerd; 08-13-2021 at 06:10 AM.

I see your reasoning better.

But I thought/assumed that Thor = Wands because of fairness, the older traditional way of looking at court cards in suits and going with the now considered arbitrary "physical type". Wands used to indicate Blonde or red heads. These days, we look more at the attributes you put in. so good.

Of course Namor is Cups, duh, that's why I didn't mention him!

In the "olden" days, Pentacles could/would be considered darker peoples: Arabs, dark ethnics types and Blacks whether African American or African, but again, these days we're looking at more of the attributes that you mention. so very good!
    Black Panther would make a good King of Pents!

And I see your overall reasoning and as it applies to Black Bolt, so good.

I like your other ideas. I think Wolverine, as regretful warrior

would make the 5 of Swords, as best choice, over yours.
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Nerd View Post
    What about the Major Arcana? There are some obvious choices, like Mephisto for the Devil card or Daredevil for Justice, but some would be really challenging. Who could be the Chariot, for instance?
    The chariot is mostly (from my own notes) "Control, victory, success, triumph over adversity, mastery, developed ego, overcoming obstacles, fame, journeys, ambition, perseverance, focus, drive, leadership abilities, tap into your personal power to see your will manifest, overcome adversity in your path." That could be a stretch, to get the character on a vehicle, but it could be Ghost Rider. I only read some issues with Ghost Rider, but maybe a more knowledgeable reader could confirm or refute the comparison.

We should start a list that could be updated! I really like that Marvel Tarot idea!

0 Fool = Spider-Man
    I. The Magician = Doctor Strange
    II. The High Priestess = Scarlet Witch or Moondragon
    III. The Empress = Sue Storm or Scarlet Witch
    IV. The Emperor
    V. The Hierophant = Thanos or Kang
    VI. The Lovers
    VII. The Chariot = Iron Man or Ghost Rider
    VIII. Strength = Hercules
    IX. The Hermit = The Watcher
    X. Wheel of Fortune
    XI. Justice = Daredevil
    XII. The Hanged Man = Odin
    XIII. Death = Death
    XIV. Temperance
    XV. The Devil = Mephisto
    XVI. The Tower = Baxter Building destroyed
    XVII. The Star
    XVIII. The Moon
    XIX. The Sun
    XX. Judgement = Jean Grey/Phoenix
    XXI. The World = Living Tribunal

Ace of Pentacles = Thing
    2 of Pentacles
    3 of Pentacles
    4 of Pentacles
    5 of Pentacles
    6 of Pentacles = The Infinity Gauntlet and Thanos
    7 of Pentacles
    8 of Pentacles
    9 of Pentacles
    10 of Pentacles = Yggdrasil, the Tree of Life
    Page of Pentacles
    Knight of Pentacles = Captain America
    Queen of Pentacles
    King of Pentacles = T'challa/Black Panther

Ace of Wands = Torch
    2 of Wands
    3 of Wands
    4 of Wands
    5 of Wands = Civil War
    6 of Wands
    7 of Wands
    8 of Wands
    9 of Wands
    10 of Wands
    Page of Wands
    Knight of Wands
    Queen of Wands
    King of Wands = Thor or T'challa/Black Panther

Ace of Cups = Reed
    2 of Cups
    3 of Cups
    4 of Cups
    5 of Cups
    6 of Cups
    7 of Cups
    8 of Cups
    9 of Cups
    10 of Cups = The Bifrost
    Page of Cups
    Knight of Cups
    Queen of Cups
    King of Cups = Namor

Ace of Swords = Sue
    2 of Swords = Daredevil
    3 of Swords = Wolverine (3 claws piercing through a heart)
    4 of Swords
    5 of Swords
    6 of Swords = Wolverine or Frozen Captain America drifting
    7 of Swords
    8 of Swords
    9 of Swords
    10 of Swords
    Page of Swords
    Knight of Swords
    Queen of Swords
    King of Swords = Black Bolt
    Last edited by Morsoth; 08-13-2021 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    The chariot is mostly (from my own notes) "Control, victory, success, triumph over adversity, mastery, developed ego, overcoming obstacles, fame, journeys, ambition, perseverance, focus, drive, leadership abilities, tap into your personal power to see your will manifest, overcome adversity in your path." That could be a stretch, to get the character on a vehicle, but it could be Ghost Rider. I only read some issues with Ghost Rider, but maybe a more knowledgeable reader could confirm or refute the comparison.

We should start a list that could be updated! I really like that Marvel Tarot idea!
    The Chariot from your definition sounds like Jean Grey would also be a good fit.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Just as a clarification:

The Marvel Tarot snapshot was part & parcel of the MYSTIC ARCANA event.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Mysti...na_Comic_Books