Astonishing Member

Default What Superman Comics Should Influence Gunn’s Reboot?

For me, I’d like for Gunn to draw upon the original Siegel Shuster Golden versions of the character along with Morrison’s run(which borrows from Morrison).
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

Definitely NOT JMS' Earth One or Johns' Secret Origins.
    The other ones will be fine.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Has it been confirmed there will be an origin story? I mean, it seems like most reboots do one, but was just curious.

I'd like to look for good storylines with villains that aren't Lex or Zod.

Morrison and Pak's action comic runs.

American Alien by Max Landis.

New Krypton as a way to revamp Zod. He's the leader of a group of Kryptonian survivors that colonized a planet.

Conduit's appearances from Man of Steel. He could lead Intergang.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-04-2023 at 08:59 AM.

Superman: Birthright

Waid's World's Finest arc where Superman tries to be a mentor to Boy Thunder.

They want him on the suit right away folks,so throw out any ideas where he starts any other way.the suit ,and not a cavill.type suit will be pushed to the moon.

I wouldn't take inspiration from anything,besides how characters work and keeping them thst way,let it be new and fresh
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

I'm not the biggest King fan, but Up in the Sky would be a great Superman movie, but maybe it would work better as a second or third movie, if they had kept Cavill it would be perfect for his return, imo.

Anyway, here is a list:
    - Superman Kryptonite
    - Superman For All Seasons
    - Superman Smashes the Klan
    - Morrison's Action Comics
    - Pak and Kuder's Action Comics
    - Superman American Alien

Siegel.

Morrison.

Maggin.

That's your holy gospel. That is the Word, and the Way (if that's something a real religion says, sorry for the blasphemy). Follow their example and you'll rarely be led astray.

Past that?

Waid almost makes the holy gospel for Birthright but it stumbles in the third Act. First 2/3 are 100% a must-read, and the final 1/3 is still worth reading for Jimmy and a few other elements worth cherry picking. The way it handles the evolution of the "Superman" role (why no mask, why the secret identity, etc) is especially excellent.

The 40's Fleschier cartoons. The entire aesthetic and flow of those stories is superb.

Smashes the Klan. All of it, but especially the idea of using a kid as a PoV and quasi-companion, Dr. Who style. Make the audience see Superman through the eyes of a child and you'll win them over easily.

Pak's Zero Year tie-in issue, his subterra arc, his Kent Town arc, and his Horrorville arc.

American Alien. But only as it relates to the "Clark" side of the character's duality and certain "human" connections, like Clark wearing glasses....because he's far sighted.

Bendis had an excellent voice for Clark. Ignore everything else, just look at the scene where Clark stops Toyman and Hal shows up. That's a damn near perfect voice and approach for the character's interactions.

The Triangle Era, but mostly just for Lois, Lex, and the other citizens of Metropolis. Narrowing it down, I'd say the Fall of Metropolis arc from the DNAlien Wars and clone disease up to Action 700.

That one issue of Hitman by Ennis. You know the one.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-05-2023 at 03:56 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Siegel & Shuster

Fleischer

Morrison (particularly the New 52 Action Comics run)

Birthright

Superman Smashes the Klan

American Alien

Superman: Secret Identity

Superman For All Seasons

Superman:Kryptonite

Superman Earth One

and Tom De Haven It's Superman

and the Bronze Age/Triangle Era writing (Kurt Busiek/Geoff Johns, Pak/Kudder elements as well)

I would love a modern take of the Golden Age Superman in his twenties as a rougher around the edge as he learns to be a better hero. I think Spider-Man Homecoming and The Batman did fantastically with a younger hero but not delving into the origin again.

Disney's Hercules.

Again Morrison’s first AC arc.

Astonishing Member

Morrison's Action Comics

Superman Smashes the Klan

American Alien

These should be the Holy Trinity that inspire Gunn's 'Year Two' Superman movie.

As far as non-comics sources go, STAS, the Fleischer cartoons and maybe the early seasons of the George Reeves show.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I want a hard sci fi, cosmic Superman that is also the first Luke Cage type of hero, or Slam Bradley with a cape, but it’s time to see where the Superman idea can go and grow.

1. Superman #1, 64 pages of hands on street level Superman Justice.
    2. Superman 400, everything Superman could ever be, I’m reading the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda right now and it’s a Superman story by another name. It reminds me of the Steranko Superman story.
    3. The original Superman Red/Superman Blue, all those Superman gone wrong stories where Superman is unleashed, this is a Superman unleashed story where the character’s unlimited goodness is unrelenting.
    4. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Alan Moore takes all that goofy old Superman stuff and shows why it’s terrifying the way Superman’s world twists and warps reality.
    5. The original Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes. I love the idea that time is more like a place that Superman and his peers can walk across.

I think we’ve established the Superman in just like us idea. I want to see why he was once called “The Man of Tomorrow.”

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Siegel.

Morrison.

Maggin.

That's your holy gospel. That is the Word, and the Way (if that's something a real religion says, sorry for the blasphemy). Follow their example and you'll rarely be led astray.

Past that?

Waid almost makes the holy gospel for Birthright but it stumbles in the third Act. First 2/3 are 100% a must-read, and the final 1/3 is still worth reading for Jimmy and a few other elements worth cherry picking. The way it handles the evolution of the "Superman" role (why no mask, why the secret identity, etc) is especially excellent.

The 40's Fleschier cartoons. The entire aesthetic and flow of those stories is superb.

Smashes the Klan. All of it, but especially the idea of using a kid as a PoV and quasi-companion, Dr. Who style. Make the audience see Superman through the eyes of a child and you'll win them over easily.

Pak's Zero Year tie-in issue, his subterra arc, his Kent Town arc, and his Horrorville arc.

American Alien. But only as it relates to the "Clark" side of the character's duality and certain "human" connections, like Clark wearing glasses....because he's far sighted.

Bendis had an excellent voice for Clark. Ignore everything else, just look at the scene where Clark stops Toyman and Hal shows up. That's a damn near perfect voice and approach for the character's interactions.

The Triangle Era, but mostly just for Lois, Lex, and the other citizens of Metropolis. Narrowing it down, I'd say the Fall of Metropolis arc from the DNAlien Wars and clone disease up to Action 700.

That one issue of Hitman by Ennis. You know the one.
    I totally agree with these first three names, especially when you read Siegel in the 60s. He really was a great sci fi, Superman writer.