Default When did Clark and Jimmy become friends in the comics?

I've listened to old radio show episodes - Jimmy has a much bigger presence there than in golden age comics. He started as a kid and grew up along the way, being close to Clark the entire time, as I recall. And, of course, he had his own title as Superman's Pal in the silver age (and beyond). But I'm curious as to when we started seeing him as a friend to Clark Kent, spending time with him (especially outside of work), etc. I'd think part of that is the shift to longer stories and more panels, allowing us to see some downtime (scenes not directly relevant to plot), but I'm just not sure.

I'm also curious as to how his age shifted around in the comics, and how that might have affected the dynamic.

I know the comics in the 50s started using Jimmy again after he was featured in the tv series.
    I read a bunch of Silver Age comics in the last couple of years. Jimmy at one point was 16 and had birthdays where he turned 17 and 18 explicitly the following two years. I'm sorry I can't say what year beyond Silver Age, but I did think it was interesting that he was aging in real time for awhile.

Retired

In the 1940s, Jimmy seems to be a minor character in the comics--and it's debatable if the early kid is actually Jimmy Olsen. Once the radio show establishes him as Olsen, he's that character. 1948 is the last date for Olsen in the comics, until after he's made a regular character on T.V.'s ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN. Then in 1954, Jimmy returns to the comics and he's now the classic character and pal of Superman. Not sure about the comic strips, however.

I'd say his relationship with Superman is imported directly from radio and T.V. and depends upon the reader knowing him from those sources. Whitney Ellsworth and Mort Weisinger were involved as story producers for the T.V. show and by 1954 many of the plots were adapted from the series to the comics. Early issues of SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN have a fair number of these adaptations.

Most 1950s Superman titles had three stories per issue--once they were 32 pages for 10 cents. In his own comic, Jimmy has lots of down time. So we see him outside of work all the time and hanging out with Lois and Clark.

On the radio, when Jimmy first appears he's instantly friends with Clark (the Superman is not yet a public figure at this time). That continues over to the T.V. series where Clark is often helping out Jimmy. So readers would be aware that Clark and Jimmy are good friends.

Just what age Jimmy was supposed to be was never consistent. I assumed he was in his early twenties--because what teen would wear a bow-tie, full suit and have a narc haircut--he looked like a twenty-something who was behind the times. But I guess he was supposed to be a teen. Jack Larson looks like he could be a teen when the T.V. series starts, but he loses his youthful appearance as the series goes on.

Incredible Member

Keep in mind that it wasn't that exceptional for people to start working in their late teens.
    Going to university was not something that everyone did in the 1940s and 1950s.
    That was especially true for the newspaper business, where people (largely men)
    graduated from being a cub reporter to a reporter. One of my favorite movies
    is where Clark Gable fires a cub reporter, so he can go to university. For a 1950s
    audience it was intending to be a shocking scene. A reminder that things can change
    in how people perceive working your way in American society.

Interesting thread!

According to Google, the book Superman: The Ultimate Guide to the Man of Steel cites Action Comics 6 as Jimmy’s first appearance. In it, an unnamed "office boy" with a bow tie makes a brief appearance.
    The book goes on to say the character was first introduced as Jimmy Olsen in the radio show The Adventures of Superman (on April 15, 1940).

According to Google, the book Superman: The Ultimate Guide to the Man of Steel cites Action Comics 6 as Jimmy’s first appearance. In it, an unnamed "office boy" with a bow tie makes a brief appearance.
    The book goes on to say the character was first introduced as Jimmy Olsen in the radio show The Adventures of Superman (on April 15, 1940).
    I know that. And don't consider it Jimmy, personally. I was really trying to figure out when they started socializing and being friends and such in the comics.

Also interested in how the dynamic has changed over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I know that. And don't consider it Jimmy, personally. I was really trying to figure out when they started socializing and being friends and such in the comics.

Also interested in how the dynamic has changed over time.
    Youre welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Youre welcome.
    I'm just saying the opening question specifically asked about them socializing and spending time together, particularly outside of work, and your answer didn't address that question at all. It's Jimmy-related trivia, but nothing at all about what I asked.

Retired

In "The Boy Millionaire," SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN 3 (January-February 1955), when Jimmy comes into a fortune, Clark and Lois go over to his swank new apartment. I think this is one of the earliest examples of Jimmy and Clark socializing in a non-work related situation.