Page 66 of 91 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirls

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yet a prude would be more likely to just barrel ahead while still wearing their clothing than take it off themselves - and it wouldn’t impact the comedy if one person was actually able to be written both in clothes among a bunch of nudists… and a vigilante isn’t going to mind a dress code.

The comedy Fo a chase through a nudist club because Catwoman’s hiding among them writes itself. You’ve got to strain yourself and make some weird, counterintuitive explicit writing choices (not *that* kind of explicit) to get Batgirl to play along.
    I own that story and don’t mind flashback tales with Babsgirl. She shouldn’t be Babsgirl in the present day, she should be Oracle. She was a far more effective superhero as Oracle than she ever was as Babsgirl.

Plus Cass is the best Batgirl.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It was definitely very excessive on the cheesecake, for better or worse, though I think it helped the story be memorable .
    It is memorable. I just don't enjoy it, and hope that one day, we'll forget it in favor of better stories.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    I’m not here to appease Babsgirl fans.
    But are you here hoping to help more people to enjoy Cass? Or even just not to be abrasive? What's your social goal, as part of the comics community and conversation, with focusing so much on your hatred of Babs?

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yeah, the Batgirls need to have a more simpatico existence like the Robins do.

And also yeah, that’s the first real FabNic story I read set in Gotham that displeased me - mostly because the excuse for he main, already deeply problematic hook of “sexploitation - Gotham style!” was the idea that Batgirl wouldn’t just barge into the nudist club to catch Catwoman anyway. Why should she give a damn what the rules of the house are?
    Er...is that a joke about the Robins having a simpatico existence? Cause it feels to me like Robins AND Batgirls both are too marked by people fighting about who is best and who is most victimized. Neither of which are productive or helpful, sadly.

I never thought about that - since she's trying to find Catwoman, why not just...find her instead of wasting time stripping? Though I think maybe FabNic tried to justify it as "she'll be able to get away if I cause trouble by not stripping"? Still stupid and ridiculously cheesecakey.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    It is memorable. I just don't enjoy it, and hope that one day, we'll forget it in favor of better stories.

But are you here hoping to help more people to enjoy Cass? Or even just not to be abrasive? What's your social goal, as part of the comics community and conversation, with focusing so much on your hatred of Babs?

Er...is that a joke about the Robins having a simpatico existence? Cause it feels to me like Robins AND Batgirls both are too marked by people fighting about who is best and who is most victimized. Neither of which are productive or helpful, sadly.

I never thought about that - since she's trying to find Catwoman, why not just...find her instead of wasting time stripping? Though I think maybe FabNic tried to justify it as "she'll be able to get away if I cause trouble by not stripping"? Still stupid and ridiculously cheesecakey.
    Oracle is one of my favourite characters. It’s Babsgirl I hate. I want everyone to get on my page and hate her too. I want DC to put Babs back in her chair and erase 2011-23 from continuity. I want Batsgirls relaunched and written by Bryan Q Miller and Gail Simone with Babs appearing exclusively as Oracle.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Oracle is one of my favourite characters. It’s Babsgirl I hate. I want everyone to get on my page and hate her too. I want DC to put Babs back in her chair and erase 2011-23 from continuity. I want Batsgirls relaunched and written by Bryan Q Miller and Gail Simone with Babs appearing exclusively as Oracle.
    I just think that an explicit goal of spreading hate is...not really in line with my personal hope of trying to make the world a better place.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

I just think that an explicit goal of spreading hate is...not really in line with my personal hope of trying to make the world a better place.
    *shrugs*

I want the human race to go extinct so….

Astonishing Member

They are already doing that and it doesn’t work. I will not read the current Batgirls book because Barbara is not paralyzed.

And I am someone who was beyond pissed with what happened to Cass in 2006 and Steph in 2011. I’m also a huge fan of Birds of Prey (pre-Flashpoint).
    Returning Barbara to the wheelchair wouldn't help the sales either.

Honestly, I really like Barbara as Oracle (a lot more than New52 Batgirl), but I don't think she could work that way anymore. The characters have worked without Oracle abilities for a lot of time, so the writers will need to suddenly create issues that only Oracle could solve.

Also, I'm still a Barbara fan and I don't think it would be the best for the character to be Oracle in the wheelchair again. She couldn't have a solo in thar role.
    Last edited by Konja7; 01-15-2023 at 05:34 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Returning Barbara to the wheelchair wouldn't help the sales either.

Honestly, I really like Barbara as Oracle (a lot more than New52 Batgirl), but I don't think she could work that way anymore. The characters have worked without Oracle abilities for a lot of time, so the writers will need to suddenly create issues that only Oracle could solve.

Also, I'm still a Barbara fan, I don't think it would be the best for the character to be Oracle in the wheelchair again. She couldn't have a solo in thar role.
    Oracle needs the wheelchair. She was the best version of herself while paralyzed.

Oracle could easily have a solo but she doesn’t need one. She needs a new Gail Simone-penned Birds of Prey series.

Sometimes you need a mix of fun, stupid, stories mixed in with the great ones, although that might be in the eye of the beholder .
    My first introduction to Barbara Gordon was as Batgirl so personally I could never hate her in that identity and I think they can find a way to make all the girls work. But your mileage may vary.
    Oracle needs the wheelchair. She was the best version of herself while paralyzed.

Oracle could easily have a solo but she doesn’t need one. She needs a new Gail Simone-penned Birds of Prey series.
    As much as I like Barbara as Oracle I don't see her holding a solo unless it's a new BoP book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sometimes you need a mix of fun, stupid, stories mixed in with the great ones, although that might be in the eye of the beholder .

My first introduction to Barbara Gordon was as Batgirl so personally I could never hate her in that identity and I think they can find a way to make all the girls work. But your mileage may vary.

As much as I like Barbara as Oracle I don't see her holding a solo unless it's a new BoP book.
    She doesn’t need a solo, she needs BoP written by Gail Simone

I don't know if modern Simone can deliver like she used to, but I'm down for a good BoP book .

She's had BoP written by Gail Simone. A remake isn't going to do anything for Oracle. Oracle needs to to progress forward into the new generation to attract a new generation of audiences.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-16-2023 at 02:17 AM.

Incredible Member

Babs as Batgirl is still very popular, and it's literally impossible to explain why she remains paralyzed in a world where every male character can bounce back from any physical injury.
    Add to that how part of Oracle's work is completely redundant with today's technology and how Babs herself commented on how her violating other people's privacy as Oracle could backfire, and I don't see her reverting back to Oracle full time.
    It seems that DC are trying to balance embracing her previous injury but still allowing her to suit up. She's no longer actively Batgirl in the Batgirls book so she doesn't outshine the other Batgirls, but she still get to fight in Nightwing.
    That being said, as the Batgirls sales seem to be pretty poor, I don't know how long this series will carry on.

There is heaps of Babsgirl hate in here which is really disappointing. Babsgirl will always be my favourite Batgirl and I am happy she isn't in the chair all the time anymore. Everyone should be happy with the Batgirls book because we see Babs in the chair and as Batgirl. I just wish this book was more serious and with better art.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    That being said, as the Batgirls sales seem to be pretty poor, I don't know how long this series will carry on.
    True, Batgirls sales don't seem to be good, so this book won't last long. I wonder what will happen after this is over.

I'm not sure Batgirls ending would mean that Barbara will have a Batgirl solo again, since the previous Batgirl solo sales weren't exactly good either. Also, I'm sure her presence in the Nightwing book helps sales on some level too.

The Batgirls not having good sales hurts. This was my primary source to get my daily dose of Stephanie Brown content without having to hunt for her occasional appearances in other Batman books. Keeping up with all the Bat titles is hard!