Page 50 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirls

Love that we will be seeing more Babs as Batgirl, thank you.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Thought today's issue was quite fun - Cass got a lot to do this issue, and got to do it with Maps! The art had some wonkiness due to so many inkers, but was still quite fun looking.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

I thought today's issue was good as well. I can see how some Steph fans might not be happy with her characterization, but I think the book has improved immensely the last few issues.

Well, this Steph fan thinks that though she didn't get a lot of heroing done this issue, it was still quite fun for her, even though I'm not super pumped if she becomes a vegetarian. I quite like that they referenced her piano playing. There's an odd Jon Lewis vibe to this issue for me - not my favorite Robin run, but it had some chill character stuff there that is nice to see again.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Maps is the best. Another cute issue.

Having just read the latest Batgirls issue, the art wasn't the best. Especially in some panels, but the overall story was nice. Cass and Maps were fun. I also don't want Steph to be a vegetarian. She needs the meat to help build muscle, and she deserves to eat a burger after a hard days work of Batgirling. I'll always enjoy her banter with Cass, and being called "The most fun. Always." Can't wait to see them take on the Riddler. I wonder if Steph beating up Riddler when she was trying to get answers out of him about her dad is still in this continuity. Because if so, Riddler doesn't stand a chance. Beating up villains who leave clues and riddles is Stephanie's specialty.

Incredible Member

Noticed for the first time that Steph's ribbing has disappeared from her top - and now I see that Googe took that design simplification from Corona. (Rodriguez drew it in his fill-in issues). Between removing the thigh belt and eliminating the ribbing, Corona was apparently all about oversimplying the look, and maybe the goal was to make this as ready for ultra-cheap cartoon animation as possible.

Javier Fernandez clearly drew upon older designs in Batman One Bad Day: Two Face, where he draws the full costume with complete ribbing and thigh belt (but added a zipper in the front).

It's hard to tell what Mahmoud Asrar drew in Batman vs. Robin #2 - could be ribbing and/or creases.

Daniel Sampere has been including full ribbing in Dark Crisis.

Amancay Nahuelpan included both ribbing and the thigh belt in Flash #786.

I hope the more complex design prevails over the long term! The thing about the ribbing is it conveys the idea that the suit, like her original Batgirl suit, has special protective padding.

As for the story in Batgirls #11, there are multiple areas where it is unnecessarily confusing, like everything Cloonan and Conrad have written for this book. It's too frustrating to get into all the details of what annoys me, and if I did, I'd be putting in more effort than Cloonan and Conrad do.

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Noticed for the first time that Steph's ribbing has disappeared from her top - and now I see that Googe took that design simplification from Corona. (Rodriguez drew it in his fill-in issues). Between removing the thigh belt and eliminating the ribbing, Corona was apparently all about oversimplying the look, and maybe the goal was to make this as ready for ultra-cheap cartoon animation as possible.

Javier Fernandez clearly drew upon older designs in Batman One Bad Day: Two Face, where he draws the full costume with complete ribbing and thigh belt (but added a zipper in the front).

It's hard to tell what Mahmoud Asrar drew in Batman vs. Robin #2 - could be ribbing and/or creases.

I hope the more complex design prevails over the long term! The thing about the ribbing is it conveys the idea that the suit, like her original Batgirl suit, has special protective padding.

As for the story in Batgirls #11, there are multiple areas where it is unnecessarily confusing, like everything Cloonan and Conrad have written for this book. It's too frustrating to get into all the details of what annoys me, and if I did, I'd be putting in more effort than Cloonan and Conrad do.
    Thank you for detailing all the ins and outs of Steph's costume .

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post

While I liked the issue quite a bit, I do completely agree about the ribbing - it's from her original Batgirl suit, and suggests armor or protective layers in the suit that I think are very important!

That just reminds me that you'd think Babs would go back a more armored look like her New 52 design but she keeps going with leather jackets and pants .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That just reminds me that you'd think Babs would go back a more armored look like her New 52 design but she keeps going with leather jackets and pants .
    Burnside continues to have the domination of at least editorial's minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeh she definitely needs to wear her new 52 armoured costume again. It makes total sense to protect her spine!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post
    Yeh she definitely needs to wear her new 52 armoured costume again. It makes total sense to protect her spine!
    The armored suit also just looks better - and I slays thought that it’s more sophisticated nature would fit a “veteran” Batgirl better than not, which was one of the reasons why I was kind of “meh” in the more “rookie-“seeming Burnside outfit.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The armored suit also just looks better - and I slays thought that it’s more sophisticated nature would fit a “veteran” Batgirl better than not, which was one of the reasons why I was kind of “meh” in the more “rookie-“seeming Burnside outfit.
    Totally agree that because Batgirl is older and been Batgirl for years she should have a more armoured and expensive suit.
    I prefer the new suit we have at the moment compared to the Burnside suit tho.
    But the new 52 Gail Simone Batgirl series had the totally perfect suit.

The biggest humor I get out of the new costume is the teenagers get to wear typical skintight Superhero suits while Babs doesn't .

Although that Christmas story in Urban Legends where Dick says she absolutely refuses to put her classic costume back on makes me think she just has a thing against spandex now...