Page 19 of 91 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirls

Thought this was a decent first issue. Don't have any attachment to any particular Batgirl beyond Barbara due to pop culture but Cass and Steph came off cool here.

Digging the art.

Extraordinary Member

Is it true the writer thinks Steph and Cass are 13 and 14?

So I was a little iffy on the tone at first but the more I think about it, the more I really liked this issue. It was fun. Everyone felt in character. And it just...felt so good to see Steph and Cass being given this kind of love for the first time in SO long.

Plus it really reminded me of Super Sons, and anyone who knows me knows that I really needed that lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Apparently
    https://twitter.com/TheBat_Family/st...096461/photo/1

Kind of a red flag. But, at this point, I'm used to people not knowing how old Tim's generation should be.

Yeah, this is crazy, makes no sense for them to be 13 and 14. Or Babs to be early 20s.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

In the same interview just a bit later Corona says that he thinks they're 16-17, so I'm not worried.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Honestly, they should be a bit older than that too. It's weird seeing the generation after them age while these characters aren't even allowed to go to college. At this point, Tim,, Steph, Cass, and everyone in their orbit should be in their late teens-early 20s.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post

Apparently
    https://twitter.com/TheBat_Family/st...096461/photo/1

Kind of a red flag. But, at this point, I'm used to people not knowing how old Tim's generation should be.
    In this twitter, you can see more from the interview:

https://twitter.com/FrozenN0rth/stat...21568805134340

It's true that Becky Cloonan thought Stephanie and Cass were 13-14, but Michael Conrad was sure they were a little bit older. And Jorge Corona said they were 16-17.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    In the same interview just a bit later Corona says that he thinks they're 16-17, so I'm not worried.
    Isn't 19-20 more appropriate, esp with them living on thier own. Their is no more wayne manor and no more alfred. It was starting to feel like everyone was having to take their next steps in life.

Fantastic Member

In other words, people are taking stuff out of context when there's just a bit of confusion between the writers due to not really thinking about their actual ages. Makes sense. They even made clear that the story is trying to be vague about their ages, meaning that we're just worrying when nothing so far has indicated that they're that young.
    Last edited by ChangingStation; 12-14-2021 at 06:32 PM.

Well, they're trying to reconcile their New 52/Rebirth selves with their Post-Crisis selves which is probably where the age discrepancy comes in.

The series is meant to appeal to younger fans. So they are probably just writing them like they are that age over then actually being that age. It isn't a big deal.

But do Cass fans like how she was written? She comes across as a completely different character in terms of not being this emotionally stunted person from her old characterization. I don't really read much Cass, but this was very different to what I've read before. She just reads like a normal teenager I guess.

Astonishing Member

Isn't 19-20 more appropriate, esp with them living on thier own. Their is no more wayne manor and no more alfred. It was starting to feel like everyone was having to take their next steps in life.
    As usual, DC don't want the characters to age so much.

In Batgirl's case, they've also want to appeal to a younger audience, so they will mantain Stephanie and Cassandra as teens.

13-14 seems an exageration, but I think 16-17 is the age range they would mantain.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

for the sake of my sanity, I'm taking 17 for both of them as them still using the New 52 backstory and that they have late birthdays, while Damian and Dick had their birthday in spring.

Babs is a bit more difficult, but if we're using New 52 age, she'd be 25 at most.

This is gonna alter Dick's age too since they like to make them the same age, but I'm not doing another timeline... yet.

Actually, you know what, I lied. Here goes. Keep in mind since the authors are deliberately vague, this timeline is just Beta. For all we know the next year they're gonna get a new author who will define their ages better.

But for now, just for shits and giggles:

Infinite Frontier - Dick Babs 25 Tim 18 Cass Steph Jon 17 Damian 14
    Rebirth - Dick Babs 24 Tim Duke Harper 17 Cass Steph16 Jon 10 Damian 13
    New 52 Year 3 - Dick Babs 23 Tim Duke Harper 16 Cass Steph 15 Jon 9 Damian 12
    New 52 Year 2 - Dick Babs 22 Tim Duke Harper 15 Cass Steph 14 Jon 8 Damian 11

Batman and Robin Reborn - New 52 Year 1
    Dick Babs 21 Tim Duke Harper 14 Cass Steph 13 Jon 7 Damian 10

Under The Red Hood - Infinite Crisis - Dick Grayson quits the BPD
    Dick Babs 20 Jason 18 Tim Duke Harper 13 Cass Steph 12 Jon 6 Damian 9

The New Teen Titans - No Man's Land - A Lonely Place of Dying
    Dick Babs 19 Jason 17 Tim Duke Harper 12 Cass Steph 11 Jon 5 Damian 8

The Killing Joke - Nightwing Year One - Zero Year Savage City - Knight of Bludhaven - Dick attended BPD Academy
    Dick Babs 18 Jason 16 Tim Duke Harper 11 Cass Steph 10 Jon 4 Damian 7

Second Chances - A Death in The Family - Knightfall
    Dick Babs 17 Jason 15 Tim Duke Harper 10 Cass Steph 9 Jon 3 Damian 6

Batgirl Year One - Dick Babs 16 Jason 14 Tim Duke Harper 9 Cass Steph 8 Jon 2 Damian 5

The first meeting of Dick and Babs according to Tom Taylor
    Dick Babs 15 Jason 13 Tim Duke Harper 8 Cass Steph 7 Jon 1 Damian 4

Supermarriage - Teen Titans Year One
    Dick Babs 14 Jason 12 Tim Duke Harper 7 Cass Steph 6 Damian 3

Death and Return of Superman - Dick Babs 13 Jason 11 Tim Duke Harper 6 Cass Steph 5 Damian 2

Justice League Year One - Dick Babs 12 Jason 10 Tim Duke Harper 5 Cass Steph 4 Damian 1

Robin Year One - Daughter of The Demon - Son of The Demon
    Dick Babs 11 Jason 9 Tim Duke Harper 4 Cass Steph 3

As an aside, even though this is for giggles, it's possible that they're making Dick older than Babs, but his age matters the least out of all of them
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-14-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    But do Cass fans like how she was written? She comes across as a completely different character in terms of not being this emotionally stunted person from her old characterization. I don't really read much Cass, but this was very different to what I've read before. She just reads like a normal teenager I guess.
    I feel like it's hard for modern writers to write Cass.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    As usual, DC don't want the characters to age so much.

In Batgirl's case, they've also want to appeal to a younger audience, so they will mantain Stephanie and Cassandra as teens.

13-14 seems an exageration, but I think 16-17 is the age range they would mantain.
    Update: Cloonan misspoke, Conrad clarified:

https://twitter.com/michaelwconrad/s...66721225924610

I debated on if I should respond to this, but I feel like if I just say it, maybe it’ll set your mind at ease a bit—

I’ve seen folks focus on a misspoken line from one of many interviews… I get it— but, they aren’t that young in our story… Sorry for the confusion!
    #batgirls
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord