Page 21 of 91 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirls

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    So, I took this to mean: "older young Millenial" - the bottom of the Millenial age bracket, putting Babs around 24-25 - and "younger old Gen Z" (aka Zoomer) - the top of the Zoomer age bracket, putting Steph and Cass around 16-20 (I'm going with 16-17, since those are the ages we've had for Steph and Cass since Batman Eternal and Batman and Robin Eternal, and it fits with Steph being a year older than forever 16 year old Tim. Cass SHOULD be older, but she lost a lot of years with Flashpoint).
    So basically what they said in the interview. Okay. Thanks. So I'm gonna continue to assume they're still fully in New 52 back story instead of post crisis... unless there are other mentions.

No Man's Land have been mentioned to be canon, but only in relation to Gotham disaster and death of Sarah Essen, not Cass Cain. I'm also convinced that the current Bertinelli is the Grayson one and she didn't exist during No Man's Land of this version, until confirmed otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    True, as a Babs fan, it was disappointing. She wasn't Batgirl, she wasn't Oracle, she was a mom of two teenagers.
    It was so unlike how she's portrayed in Nightwing that I have no clue how they are going to make her work in the two books.
    I feel that the point of Babs in this title is

Dc making it clear that Babs IS still a Batgirl. They want to seemingly give Cass and Steph fans what they want [batgirl moniker] while not committing to Babs as Oracle.
    Babs isn't leaving Batgirl. She IS Batgirl. They can have take a back sit in this [she's in Nightgwing as a co star] but she's still batgirl

I don't expect Babs to do much in this book sadly.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    So basically what they said in the interview. Okay. Thanks. So I'm gonna continue to assume they're still fully in New 52 back story instead of post crisis... unless there are other mentions.

No Man's Land have been mentioned to be canon, but only in relation to Gotham disaster and death of Sarah Essen, not Cass Cain. I'm also convinced that the current Bertinelli is the Grayson one and she didn't exist during No Man's Land of this version, until confirmed otherwise.
    I personally just assume that for Steph, Tec 647-649 and Batman Eternal both happened, and for Cass, NML and Batman and Robin Eternal happened. I expect the two Eternal origins to be more referenced, but I don't think it has to be exclusive. Same with Helena, though we'll have to see what happens in Shadows of the Bat - I really liked how Tamaki wrote Huntress before, but she has very little reference to her past so far. Batgirl and the Birds of Prey tried valiantly to meld Grayson and Cry for Blood, not entirely successfully, but they did reference classic Birds of Prey as well. No clue if anyone is paying attention, since Huntress is a supporting/guest character in other books, but that's just how I try to think of it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I don't want Cass to be mute, but I think she should have a very distinct, kind of curt and to the point, speaking style.
    They had a bit of that, but then some full sentences out of her. Not very consistent in execution.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I feel that the point of Babs in this title is

Dc making it clear that Babs IS still a Batgirl. They want to seemingly give Cass and Steph fans what they want [batgirl moniker] while not committing to Babs as Oracle.
    Babs isn't leaving Batgirl. She IS Batgirl. They can have take a back sit in this [she's in Nightgwing as a co star] but she's still batgirl

I don't expect Babs to do much in this book sadly.
    The writers say that babs is gonna be around and already has two story arcs planned. I think dick Babs in Nightwing is only a thing Becuase they needed her somewhere when they cancelled batgirl solo. They cancelled batgirl solo for Batgirls. Babs is possibly gonna be more a mainstay in batgirls as a character with agency vs anywhere else. I think they are gonna try to turn it into a birds of prey situation.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    They had a bit of that, but then some full sentences out of her. Not very consistent in execution.
    Yeah I get that at this point there is no going back. I just thought it was a really cool and original character trait. Having Cass`s weakness be communication and a struggle she has to deal with as she grows made her a more engaging read. I get her growing and learning to communicate better, but at this point it is as if she has been talking her whole life. No real weakness to the character to keep her balanced.

Like what does Stephanie bring to the table that Cass cannot do better. And to be clear, I like Stephanie.

About the book in general, I feel like they are written as a bit too young for my tastes. Bunk Beds. Really. I guess I was hoping it would feel like the Steph Batgirl from her solo and the Cass Batgirl of her solo teaming up. With Barbara as a leader/teacher, in a Bruce role.

The book is not necessarily bad for what it is trying to be. It just isn`t for me I guess.
    Last edited by Iclifton; 12-16-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Like what does Stephanie bring to the table that Cass cannot do better. And to be clear, I like Stephanie.
    Pretty much anything that’s not karate chops. Theoretically.

But that has always been a problem with Cass. Her communication and education issues only served to make her more sympathetic. As soon as they became too inconvenient they hand waved them. Cass never actually failed anything because she couldn’t read something or communicate properly.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-16-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Pretty much anything that’s not karate chops. Theoretically.

But that has always been a problem. Her communication and education issues only served to make her more sympathetic. As soon as they became too inconvenient they hand waved them. Cass never actually failed anything because she couldn’t read something or communicate properly.
    Maybe but they made the character better conceptually. And they did make her more sympathetic. Barbara will be handling Tech and Detective aspects from the background. Not really seeing how Stephanie contributes.

Stephanie thinks differently than Cass and probably brings a bit more wildness and spunk where Cass is more efficient and direct.

Like think of it this way. Steph is the Robin to Cass's Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Maybe but they made the character better conceptually. And they did make her more sympathetic. Barbara will be handling Tech and Detective aspects from the background. Not really seeing how Stephanie contributes.
    I don’t know whether or not they are actually going to explore it, but anything that can’t be resolved by a karate fight Steph should be better at. They probably won’t do that, as this Cass seems to be pretty heavily shortcutted so she can better function. But in theory Steph should actually be able to do more then Cass. Now will any of that stuff matter, I don’t know. It usually doesn’t when it comes to Cass. It’s important to have Babs use a cane to represent her disability, but the repercussions of extreme child abuse and isolation. Ya, let’s not touch that.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-16-2021 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I don’t know whether or not they are actually going to explore it, but anything that can’t be resolved by a karate fight Steph should be better at. They probably won’t do that, as this Cass seems to be pretty heavily shortcutted so she can better function. But in theory Steph should actually be able to do more then Cass. Now will any of that stuff matter, I don’t know. It usually doesn’t when it comes to Cass. It’s important to have Babs use a cane to represent her disability, but the repercussions of extreme child abuse and isolation. Ya, let’s not touch that.
    I think if the both is doing right then both characters' specialties will be necessary to resolve the plot and eventually they'll address their emotional issues.

Astonishing Member

There's definitely balance to be struck between the stylized nature here and characterization. But as a first issue and minor "set up the series" status shift I liked it.

It certainly looks like Spellbinder ... Or Lady Spellbinder!! ... Is using graffiti or public art to mesmerize Gothamites. That ... Is a very Batgirl of Burnside premise. And a d-list rogue ripe for plucking. A great choice for "The Hill" district.

We'll see how the balance of Steph/Cass/Babs is executed.

And without anything else, I simply say, give Lee Garbett a guest artist issue.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member

BATGIRLS #4
    Written by BECKY CLOONAN and MICHAEL W. CONRAD
    Art and cover by JORGE CORONA
    Variant cover by MICHAEL CHO
    1:25 variant cover by RIAN GONZALES
    THE BATMAN variant cover by JONBOY MEYERS
    Int'l Women’s Day variant cover by PAULINA GANUCHEAU
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | $4.99 US Variant (card stock)
    ON SALE 3/8/22

The Batgirls have enough evidence to expose Tutor for his crimes: his underground art gallery of stolen goods. But will Steph be pulled into a hypnotic trance again like last time? Meanwhile, getready for magical bookstores, a kick-butt fight scene, and to top it all off, Babsgets asked on…a date…with anex? Also: first appearance of new villain SPELLBINDER!

I wonder what Steph gets hypnotized with...

Babs gets asked out? Even though she's seeing someone? I think? Huh.

Spellbinder is an unexpected pull, but cool.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder what Steph gets hypnotized with...

Babs gets asked out? Even though she's seeing someone? I think? Huh.

Spellbinder is an unexpected pull, but cool.
    Proably a special blend of fear toxin