Page 29 of 91 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirls

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I quite like Corona. I agree he doesn't go for "beautiful", but I definitely like how he draws the girls a lot.

Redondo is fine. I get why he's so popular, but partly because he's been paired with Taylor for the last two years, I really don't dig his stuff. He does weird "jokes" like "how do you hold pizza, fellow human", and his stuff is just "fine" for me.

But I am aware that I'm in the minority opinion here.
    I like Cass's bathrobe! I can find fun in some of it.

I know what you mean about Redondo's little jokey inserts. They are fun at the same time that they take you out of the story.

But I liked his work before I warmed to Taylor. But I do agree he and Taylor kind of came up together. Daniel Sampere too - he would spell Redondo or tag team with him, and he's just grown into a stellar artist. (I got the idea that they share a studio but not sure how I got that impression.)

I do like how Redondo shifts his style from time to time and tries different things.

Are we now pretending Corona’s work on Batgirls isn’t full of weird jokes? The art on Batgirls is highly comical and cartoonish. Which I personally dig, but it’s an odd point of contention in comparison when it’s something both artist share.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Are we now pretending Corona’s work on Batgirls isn’t full of weird jokes? The art on Batgirls is highly comical and cartoonish. Which I personally dig, but it’s an odd point of contention in comparison when it’s something both artist share.
    True, Corona does do a LOT more of it. It fits the overall art and matches the super casual tone of the narrator who addresses readers directly.

Redondo's work is mostly serious and then he'll throw in a little incongruous joke.

I laugh when Redondo does it.

It is more out of place by Redondo. It's just another panel, though, in Batgirls.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    I like Cass's bathrobe! I can find fun in some of it.

I know what you mean about Redondo's little jokey inserts. They are fun at the same time that they take you out of the story.

But I liked his work before I warmed to Taylor. But I do agree he and Taylor kind of came up together. Daniel Sampere too - he would spell Redondo or tag team with him, and he's just grown into a stellar artist. (I got the idea that they share a studio but not sure how I got that impression.)

I do like how Redondo shifts his style from time to time and tries different things.
    I...don't see why "no one holds pizza correctly" is a "joke" - I'm pretty sure Redondo did it on purpose, but it's not funny to me. Whereas stuff like Cass wearing a bag on her head, or Steph hiding behind a bush is supposed to be funny and makes sense in the universe.

As for Taylor...I just don't like his writing. So Redondo being attached at the hip to Taylor makes it unlikely that I'm actually going to like his stuff until he gets a new creative partner.

There's a difference between what Redondo does - out of universe, bizarre things about the pizza - and Corona having little chibi heads next to dialogue boxes.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

I...don't see why "no one holds pizza correctly" is a "joke" - I'm pretty sure Redondo did it on purpose, but it's not funny to me. Whereas stuff like Cass wearing a bag on her head, or Steph hiding behind a bush is supposed to be funny and makes sense in the universe.

As for Taylor...I just don't like his writing. So Redondo being attached at the hip to Taylor makes it unlikely that I'm actually going to like his stuff until he gets a new creative partner.

There's a difference between what Redondo does - out of universe, bizarre things about the pizza - and Corona having little chibi heads next to dialogue boxes.
    I've been curious and tried to find the specific pizza bit you've been mentioning ... remind me, where is that? I went all the way back to an early scene where Dick and Babs are eating pizza, but I didn't spot anything there.

I've been curious and tried to find the specific pizza bit you've been mentioning ... remind me, where is that? I went all the way back to an early scene where Dick and Babs are eating pizza, but I didn't spot anything there.
    Issue 79.

Nightwing 79 Pizza 1.jpg

Nightwing 79 Pizza 2.jpg

The guys holding it like a waiter holds a tray are odd, but Nightwing, Babs, and the blonde girl holding the pizza like a hot dog are just bizzare. Absolutely no one is holding any pizza in anything resembling something like what I do when I eat pizza, or anyone else I've ever met.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Incredible Member

Issue 79.

Nightwing 79 Pizza 1.jpg

Nightwing 79 Pizza 2.jpg

The guys holding it like a waiter holds a tray are odd, but Nightwing, Babs, and the blonde girl holding the pizza like a hot dog are just bizzare. Absolutely no one is holding any pizza in anything resembling something like what I do when I eat pizza, or anyone else I've ever met.
    Interesting. Looking closely at most of those pages, I think I see what happened there. Bruno drew red wedge-shaped "trays" for each slice of pizza, and people are holding those trays. Maybe that's how a slice is served in Spain, or perhaps Australia if Tom forwarded him some ideas - or maybe that's how Bruno thought slices are served and eaten in America.

There are a couple of panels where it does look like people are handling the tops of the pizza, like Barbara in the panel you attached. But even in that sequence, it's just that one panel. Moments later on the bench, they are both holding the tray bottoms and the crust.

So I would say his reference material is wrong. But I don't think he was trying to make a joke in this particular case. Maybe I'm wrong. If it was a joke, then I don't get it.

Most of his jokes and flourishes are unmistakable, love 'em or hate 'em. In that same issue, there's tons to poke at: the panel where Dick is drawn with two heads (as he is looking around), or when a lightbulb appears behind his left ear, or where a yellow starburst appears behind his head. Or when Bruno shows with a dotted green line how a kid spots a wallet, and then a closeup of the kid holding the wallet after grabbing it. Some do look like jokes, but I think mostly they are just highly stylized.

Coronas entire style in general is cartoonish, or out of universe and bizarre. A world where cars more or less fly and sunglasses magically appear when you reach max cool. But characters holding pizza breaks your suspension of disbelief in comparison. I think your reaching a bit here, but alright. With Corona it might be more consistent with his general style, but humor is an signature with both artists on their respective titles.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-20-2022 at 11:10 AM.

Interesting. Looking closely at most of those pages, I think I see what happened there. Bruno drew red wedge-shaped "trays" for each slice of pizza, and people are holding those trays. Maybe that's how a slice is served in Spain, or perhaps Australia if Tom forwarded him some ideas - or maybe that's how Bruno thought slices are served and eaten in America.

There are a couple of panels where it does look like people are handling the tops of the pizza, like Barbara in the panel you attached. But even in that sequence, it's just that one panel. Moments later on the bench, they are both holding the tray bottoms and the crust.

So I would say his reference material is wrong. But I don't think he was trying to make a joke in this particular case. Maybe I'm wrong. If it was a joke, then I don't get it.

Most of his jokes and flourishes are unmistakable, love 'em or hate 'em. In that same issue, there's tons to poke at: the panel where Dick is drawn with two heads (as he is looking around), or when a lightbulb appears behind his left ear, or where a yellow starburst appears behind his head. Or when Bruno shows with a dotted green line how a kid spots a wallet, and then a closeup of the kid holding the wallet after grabbing it. Some do look like jokes, but I think mostly they are just highly stylized.
    I could be wrong, but when it came out, I believe there was conversation including Redondo on twitter, and he seemed to imply it was an intentional joke. And that really rubbed me the wrong way. The two-heads - that's standard, elegant action drawing, as are the stars or sightlines.

I could be completely wrong, but that's my memory of how the discourse around that issue of Nightwing happened, and it just felt really wrong to me.

Coronas entire style in general is cartoonish, or out of universe and bizarre. A world where cars more or less fly and sunglasses magically appear when you reach max cool. But characters holding pizza breaks your suspension of disbelief in comparison. I think your reaching a bit here, but alright. With Corona it might be more consistent with his general style, but humor is an signature with both artists on their respective titles.
    As I've mentioned, I've liked Corona's style a lot since We Are Robin in 2015 - the particular elements of bizzare, dreamlike, zany, madcap, etc - all are present there too. The pizza, as I explained above, bothers me because it apparently (according to my memory of the conversation) was intentionally a joke, and it doesn't make sense at all.

Incredible Member

I could be wrong, but when it came out, I believe there was conversation including Redondo on twitter, and he seemed to imply it was an intentional joke. And that really rubbed me the wrong way. The two-heads - that's standard, elegant action drawing, as are the stars or sightlines.

I could be completely wrong, but that's my memory of how the discourse around that issue of Nightwing happened, and it just felt really wrong to me.

As I've mentioned, I've liked Corona's style a lot since We Are Robin in 2015 - the particular elements of bizzare, dreamlike, zany, madcap, etc - all are present there too. The pizza, as I explained above, bothers me because it apparently (according to my memory of the conversation) was intentionally a joke, and it doesn't make sense at all.
    No, if that's a joke it doesn't make sense to me either. Maybe he meant some other element in those scenes was a joke. For instance, and I actually don't like this sort of "Easter egg," "Marv & George's Pizza" is probably a "joke" inserted by Taylor.

Maybe there's a personal joke in the little post-it note "Dani: You are fired!!!" Maybe he drew friends or colleagues in the outdoor scene, like the woman with the distinctive socks.

Or maybe he didn't understand the question or express the answer he meant. Twitter doesn't always lend itself to complex answers, nor is English Redondo's first language.

Does it really matter either way. Maybe if it was a comic about holding pizza, but it’s relatively a small instance and not really indicative of his over all merits or talent.

Incredible Member

I beleive Corona's art style may drive some readers away, and it could be problematic for a book already starring the lesser known Batgirls.
    We know the book dropped in sales to the 62 by the 2nd issue. It's possible DC are satisfied with the sales, but If they aren't, I wonder if we'll get a different creative team or a different direction.
    Last edited by Lal; 02-21-2022 at 04:38 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    I beleive Corona's art style may drive some readers away, and it could be problematic for a book already starring the lesser known Batgirls.
    We know the book dropped in sales to the 62 by the 2nd issue. It's possible DC are satisfied with the sales, but If they aren't, I wonder if we'll get a different creative team or a different direction.
    By "the 62" do you mean 62nd in sales rank?

Anyway, what info do you have on Batgirls sales numbers? I haven't seen any yet.

Incredible Member

By "the 62" do you mean 62nd in sales rank?

Anyway, what info do you have on Batgirls sales numbers? I haven't seen any yet.
    Yes, I meant the 62 place on the bestsellers of the month table by icv2.
    dc jan sales 60.jpg

Extraordinary Member

I kinda wish the batgirls book had a more interesting mystery, it’s fun, and cute like the novels but not really epic