Page 30 of 91 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirls

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Yes, I meant the 62 place on the bestsellers of the month table by icv2.
    Attachment 118568
    Yeah. I've heard about this. Batgirls #1 was in 18 place, but Batgirls #2 is in 62 place. It's a strong fall.

We don't know the numbers, but it's already under Robin (which has more issues). So, this isn't good.

My only hope is that sales could increase, but this is pretty uncommon.
    Last edited by Konja7; 02-21-2022 at 05:36 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, I meant the 62 place on the bestsellers of the month table by icv2.
    Attachment 118568
    These are very hard to read. Do they have actual sales figures or is it just rankings?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    These are very hard to read. Do they have actual sales figures or is it just rankings?
    Just the rankings.
    I attach it here again in better resolution, I hope.
    dc jan sales 60.jpg

It's ranked similar to Robins, which is a digital-first series released for free in the DC app one month before the issues are hitting the stores, so overall these rankings don't look very promising for a second issue. Usually, sales drop even further by the 3rd and 4th issues until they stabilize.

Extraordinary Member

Ok. That is disappointing. I'd hate for DC to conclude that Didio was right about Steph and Cass because sales of Batgirls are low.

I beleive Corona's art style may drive some readers away, and it could be problematic for a book already starring the lesser known Batgirls.
    The book stars Cass, Steph, and Barbara (though she hasn't been operating as Batgirl in costume so far).

Who are the "better known Batgirls"?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The book stars Cass, Steph, and Barbara (though she hasn't been operating as Batgirl in costume so far).

Who are the "better known Batgirls"?
    Babs is the most known Batgirl (I don't think it's even debatable) and she's not operating as a Batgirl in the Batgirls book. She is, interestingly enough, operating as Batgirl in Nightwing.
    So while in Batgirls she's rotating between a wheelchair / using a cane / sometimes walking but not doing any physical activity, in Nightwing she's an active Batgirl.

Babs is the most known Batgirl (I don't think it's even debatable) and she's not operating as a Batgirl in the Batgirls book. She is, interestingly enough, operating as Batgirl in Nightwing.
    So while in Batgirls she's rotating between a wheelchair / using a cane / sometimes walking but not doing any physical activity, in Nightwing she's an active Batgirl.
    Idk what’s going on with DC, but it’s a shame that Babs doesn’t have a solo and is not leading the Batgirls book. She has a movie and they should def have capitalized off that synergy. Nobody is gonna read Nightwing for batgirl, it sets up a really bad precedence. I hope the movie gives her some agency and autonomy like it did for Harley Quinn Becuase deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Ok. That is disappointing. I'd hate for DC to conclude that Didio was right about Steph and Cass because sales of Batgirls are low.
    It sucks Becuase most of the legacy titles are not selling outside of Nightwing. Batgirl was foolishly cancelled. Batgirls dropped because the quality of the book is my opinion. Son of Kal El also had a massive drop. I truely wonder how long infinite frontier is gonna last. I would hate to say Didio was 100% right about legacy characters, but I think the problem is more the writing and them not promo’ing the right legacy characters.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    No, if that's a joke it doesn't make sense to me either. Maybe he meant some other element in those scenes was a joke. For instance, and I actually don't like this sort of "Easter egg," "Marv & George's Pizza" is probably a "joke" inserted by Taylor.

Maybe there's a personal joke in the little post-it note "Dani: You are fired!!!" Maybe he drew friends or colleagues in the outdoor scene, like the woman with the distinctive socks.

Or maybe he didn't understand the question or express the answer he meant. Twitter doesn't always lend itself to complex answers, nor is English Redondo's first language.
    Quite reasonable thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Does it really matter either way. Maybe if it was a comic about holding pizza, but it’s relatively a small instance and not really indicative of his over all merits or talent.
    It matters to me in a book that I already dislike. And yes, I'm fully aware that my reaction is not typical.

I beleive Corona's art style may drive some readers away, and it could be problematic for a book already starring the lesser known Batgirls.
    We know the book dropped in sales to the 62 by the 2nd issue. It's possible DC are satisfied with the sales, but If they aren't, I wonder if we'll get a different creative team or a different direction.
    Very depressing thoughts to me. But I see where you're coming from, even though I don't agree since I'm enjoying the book. I know for a fact that Corona's art is driving people away from the book, since it's one of the most consistent comments I have in all conversations. I love his art, and I love it here, but it's not a question - it's not appealing to a wider audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I kinda wish the batgirls book had a more interesting mystery, it’s fun, and cute like the novels but not really epic
    I really like the Tutor, Saints, serial killer, and "clear their names" mystery plots - I just find the Seer plot really annoying, and sadly, it looks like that is going to be the "big bad" of the first several arcs.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MakeNightwingGreatAgain View Post
    Idk what’s going on with DC, but it’s a shame that Babs doesn’t have a solo and is not leading the Batgirls book. She has a movie and they should def have capitalized off that synergy. Nobody is gonna read Nightwing for batgirl, it sets up a really bad precedence. I hope the movie gives her some agency and autonomy like it did for Harley Quinn Becuase deserves it.
    Honestly, I'm not sure comics could really capitalize popularity in movies. I mean, Avengers comics sales doesn't really benefit from Avengers movies.

It doesn't help that the stories and characters in movies could be pretty different from the stories and characters in comics.
    Last edited by Konja7; 02-21-2022 at 09:31 AM.

Incredible Member

It sucks Becuase most of the legacy titles are not selling outside of Nightwing. Batgirl was foolishly cancelled. Batgirls dropped because the quality of the book is my opinion. Son of Kal El also had a massive drop. I truely wonder how long infinite frontier is gonna last. I would hate to say Didio was 100% right about legacy characters, but I think the problem is more the writing and them not promo’ing the right legacy characters.
    Robin is also doing great.
    We don't know the numbers of Task force Z featuring Jason, but I think Urban legends was an okay seller during Jason's arc.

Edit - We'll also probably get a Gotham knights tie-in comics with Babs as Batgirl, as well as Dick, Jason and Tim. We already saw some art that is almost for sure for this comics (based on the characters designs)
    Last edited by Lal; 02-21-2022 at 09:30 AM.

I can see why the book is not selling well. The art is horrendous, and first looks play a big part of a book catching readers attention. The art is not the only reason, but it's a big part. The story is so so, but certainly could be better.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Idk what’s going on with DC, but it’s a shame that Babs doesn’t have a solo
    She had a solo-title that ended with issue #50 towards the end of 2020.

Not sure what sales numbers for that book were like by then.

. . . and is not leading the Batgirls book.
    Barbara has been in EVERY ISSUE so far, though not as Batgirl.
    And she is overseeing much of what Cass and Steph are doing when those two are out in the field.

She has a movie and they should def have capitalized off that synergy.
    She has a movie that hasn't been released yet as far as I know. How many people outside of comic book geeks might even be aware of that?

Nobody is gonna read Nightwing for batgirl, it sets up a really bad precedence.
    What "bad precedence" does it set? Nightwing is a popular character, and it's extra exposure for Barbara / Batgirl. How is that a bad thing?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    She had a solo-title that ended with issue #50 towards the end of 2020.

Not sure what sales numbers for that book were like by then.
    The sales of Barbara as Batgirl weren't good at the end. So, DC likely canceled her Batgirl comic, because they want the Batgirl brand in another direction (in Batgirls, they try to appeal a younger audience).
    Last edited by Konja7; 02-21-2022 at 10:08 AM.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I can see why the book is not selling well. The art is horrendous, and first looks play a big part of a book catching readers attention. The art is not the only reason, but it's a big part. The story is so so, but certainly could be better.
    I really would like to read this title but I don’t like the art at all.
    Same problem I have for Robins sadly.