Page 43 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirls

It'll be nice to see Kyle and Maps again .
    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Sounds pretty cool! Love that cover with Maps and Kyle! I wonder who that guy is. Firefly or Killer Moth?
    Maybe it's a fusion...Fire Moth .

All the tigers make me think Velvet Tiger though.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Velvet Tiger has wings?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Velvet Tiger has wings?
    She doesn't, I was just talking about the tigers .

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Maybe it's Velvet Tiger Moth! LOL

In any case I'm in!

Brilliant! Whatever is going on, I hope that it has a strong focus on Steph and Cass!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    BATGIRLS #11
    Written by BECKY CLOONAN and MICHAEL W. CONRAD
    Art by NEIL GOOGE
    Cover by JORGE CORONA
    Variant cover by AUDREY MOK
    1:25 variant cover by RIAN GONZALES
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 10/11/22
    The Batgirls get help from none other than Gotham Academy’s very own Maps Mizoguchi and her brother Kyle to help decipher a clue they found that could help reveal who the killer behind all the Hill murders is, which leads them straight into…the city zoo…
    Even with Maps and Kyle, I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with this issue.

Now, if Karl Kerschl was also involved in the writing, then I'd be more interested.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

So is this a confirmation that Kyle is gonna be new love interest?

Extraordinary Member

Batgirls #9 Preview
    Writer: Becky Cloonan and Michael W. Conrad
    Artist: Neil Googe

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Batgirls #9 Preview

I really like this cover, and I'm excited to see what Neil Googe has for us art-wise!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Batgirls #9 Preview

I like this art .

Oh hey, Alysia! And she knows about Cass?

They keep talking about Babs' implant. Like, are they ever going to commit one way or another...?

Cass has gone punk rock, complete with fishnets, and Steph in a purple bikini because of course .

I think issue #9 was a big step up from issues #7-8 - Steph and Cass have individual interests and skills, and each get some solid moments of character development. I also really, really liked Neil Googe's art. So glad he's on for at least four issues - wish he could stay for a year!

Incredible Member

I think issue #9 was a big step up from issues #7-8 - Steph and Cass have individual interests and skills, and each get some solid moments of character development. I also really, really liked Neil Googe's art. So glad he's on for at least four issues - wish he could stay for a year!
    Definitely an improvement, but I don't know if it is different enough to sway anyone's opinion on the book.

I can see he Googe has his own style, but it looks like he is also trying to stay somewhat consistent with what Corona did. So, we still see the crazy-shaped capes, the super-skinny legs, and the very square jaws.

I'm hoping over the course his arc, Googe has plans to slowly move the art to his own style.

But that may be difficult as long as Corona continues to draw the main cover. His style may continue to have an outsized influence on the interior artist. It's like he's maintaining a stranglehold over the look of the property, so Rodriguez and now Googe have been trying to respect the style (within the boundaries of their own styles).

Jorge, it's time to let your book go.

His stylized work belongs on a variant at this point. Just like they aren't going to give Rian Gonzales the main covers, it's time for Corona to get off the main cover.

As for the writing, this is not going to get any Eisner Award nominations.

Plot question: So, just a few months ago, in Nightwing #91, Barbara was abducted by KGBeast and his cronies, and then in #92, Nightwing and Flash rescued her, tied up KGBeast, and handed him over to the GCPD. Did I miss something subsequent to that? What is he doing back out on the street taking assassination contracts? (Nightwing was edited by Jessica Chen, with assistant editor Jessica Berbey, group editor Ben Abernathy - the same editorial team as Batgirls.)

Referring back to the Ric Grayson story again is odd given Barbara's very recent interaction with KGBeast. Things have advanced, and at this point the story should be footnoting the recent encounter in Nightwing, not the older Ric Grayson thing.

Also, I guess it's the writers' private joke that in every issue Steph either uses the bathroom, or announces she's going to take a shower, or is drying her hair with a towel (as she does in this issue). I guess that also explains sticking her head underwater in the kiddie pool. The kid likes water! I think this is more of a sight gag than revealing anything about character, but I'm not sure. Does anyone else even notice?

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Plot question: So, just a few months ago, in Nightwing #91, Barbara was abducted by KGBeast and his cronies, and then in #92, Nightwing and Flash rescued her, tied up KGBeast, and handed him over to the GCPD. Did I miss something subsequent to that? What is he doing back out on the street taking assassination contracts? (Nightwing was edited by Jessica Chen, with assistant editor Jessica Berbey, group editor Ben Abernathy - the same editorial team as Batgirls.)

Referring back to the Ric Grayson story again is odd given Barbara's very recent interaction with KGBeast. Things have advanced, and at this point the story should be footnoting the recent encounter in Nightwing, not the older Ric Grayson thing.
    He escaped the GCPD, just simple as that. It's pretty common and all the villains do that more times than not.

And about referring to Ric Grayson, she was just pointing that is satisfying to kick the butt of the guy who made Dick suffer.

KGBeast became the Batfamilly punching bag ever since that story.
    Bruce, Damian, Dick and Wally kicked his ass and now the Batgirls. His stock is in a all time low.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Definitely an improvement, but I don't know if it is different enough to sway anyone's opinion on the book.

I can see he Googe has his own style, but it looks like he is also trying to stay somewhat consistent with what Corona did. So, we still see the crazy-shaped capes, the super-skinny legs, and the very square jaws.

I'm hoping over the course his arc, Googe has plans to slowly move the art to his own style.

But that may be difficult as long as Corona continues to draw the main cover. His style may continue to have an outsized influence on the interior artist. It's like he's maintaining a stranglehold over the look of the property, so Rodriguez and now Googe have been trying to respect the style (within the boundaries of their own styles).

Jorge, it's time to let your book go.

His stylized work belongs on a variant at this point. Just like they aren't going to give Rian Gonzales the main covers, it's time for Corona to get off the main cover.

As for the writing, this is not going to get any Eisner Award nominations.

Also, I guess it's the writers' private joke that in every issue Steph either uses the bathroom, or announces she's going to take a shower, or is drying her hair with a towel (as she does in this issue). I guess that also explains sticking her head underwater in the kiddie pool. The kid likes water! I think this is more of a sight gag than revealing anything about character, but I'm not sure. Does anyone else even notice?
    I did think it was a bit odd for them to reference events of several years ago instead of a month or two ago, but as Drako said, KGBeast just escaped. It happens a lot, especially in Bludhaven and Gotham.

As for Googe imitating Corona, I've been talking to Googe and the new colorist (who took over in issue #7), and both of them said they are deliberately trying to match their styles to the original artist and colorist. I'm a fan of Corona, so I think it's a good thing. It's definitely not Jorge making anyone do anything - it's similar to how Roger Cruz on Robin is trying to do a pastiche of Gleb Melnikov's style. I think it's good, though obviously with an artist as polarizing as Corona, it's not quite mainstream enough for many fans still.

Also, the cover with Steph and Cass ready for swimming this month is awesome! The next two covers aren't quite as good, but I think it's nice to have a sense of artistic continuity, like Joelle Jones continuing to do covers for Catwoman long after Ram V took over writing the book and Fernando Blanco drawing.

I dunno what Cloonan and Conrad are saying about Steph, other than maybe she likes to swim and be clean? I hadn't noticed.

The writing, to me, was a big step up - two major character moments for Steph (swimming - yes, I know it's not super serious, but it's a very fun moment), and grief over her wrongful suspicion. Plus she recognizes a cipher immediately and plans to break it - Cluemaster Spoiler showing! It's still not exactly what I'd hoped for when the series was announced, but I think it's quite enjoyable. Certainly way, way more than the last two issues.