Page 45 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirls

Extraordinary Member

Batgirls #10 Preview
    Writers: Becky Cloonan and Michael W. Conrad
    Artist: Neil Googe

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Interesting that Killer Moth seems to have a boss. Very cute meeting of Steph and Kyle! And Babs calling Commissioner Montoya directly - an interesting step! I continue to like Googe's art quite a bit!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

0AF35947-7830-4F29-BB8F-D51269D097DA.jpg

They need to do something to make this book pop more
    I don’t know what but something

Batman guest star or crossover event are all I can think of. Given how badly the Tim Drake Pride Special sold, I'm not sure that putting Steph and Cass in a relationship with each other would change anything at all saleswise.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Batman guest star or crossover event are all I can think of. Given how badly the Tim Drake Pride Special sold, I'm not sure that putting Steph and Cass in a relationship with each other would change anything at all saleswise.
    I wouldn’t call their relationship sisterly but I also don’t like that. I’d rather Steph started dating some dude tho. Cass needs opponent who can challenge her. I’d also like Babs to moove out but they kinda needs her and if so, then mention why the girls are not in school.

We shall see. I'm still hoping that we'll get two years of the book - we're coming up on a year. The problem is unlike other low-selling titles, there's a very loud hatedom for this book in addition to people who are enjoying it. Much as I am enjoying it and try to be positive about it, I do think that DC hasn't got a hit on their hands. And I hate that. Because I think it's a perfectly fine title that I enjoy reading almost every issue I buy. (I almost said "every issue", but I gotta admit, I didn't enjoy issues 7-8 very much.)

Can't get more Batgirl than Killer Moth .

Batgirls doing detective work!

Library meet cute!

It looks like Babs still has an in with the GCPD. Or does Montoya know she's Batgirl? I wonder.

Incredible Member

Here's a thought: Maybe put out a book with two 10-page or 12-page stories: Batgirls, and Gotham Academy. There are more fans of those two combined, than either alone. Cloonan has worked on both.

But, please, do NOT make it a $4.99 book with a Gotham Academy backup.

It's odd, but Batgirls is drawn as more of a cartoon than Gotham Academy. That should be reversed.

I don't know if Cloonan and Conrad can do anything decent with 10-page Batgirls installments, though.

Another idea: Definitely a new writing team, and put Doc Shaner on the art. He's terrific, and The New Champion of Shazam, featuring Marvel Marvel, looks great. In this book, Mary is just entering college, so it's a good example of what can be done with leads of this gender and age.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Here's a thought: Maybe put out a book with two 10-page or 12-page stories: Batgirls, and Gotham Academy. There are more fans of those two combined, than either alone. Cloonan has worked on both.

Would 100% drop the book if they do either. I'm not spending money on something I have no interest in, period.

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post

It's odd, but Batgirls is drawn as more of a cartoon than Gotham Academy. That should be reversed.

I don't know if Cloonan and Conrad can do anything decent with 10-page Batgirls installments, though.

Another idea: Definitely a new writing team, and put Doc Shaner on the art. He's terrific, and The New Champion of Shazam, featuring Marvel Marvel, looks great. In this book, Mary is just entering college, so it's a good example of what can be done with leads of this gender and age.
    Gotham Academy is awesome. Unfortunately, it sold pretty low, as far as I can tell. DC held onto it because they wanted to develop Fletcher and Cloonan as talents in their stable, and because they hoped it would give them space in the children's book market when they released trades. So I think a Gotham Academy co-feature or backup for Batgirls would not really be a draw. Much as I would personally love it.

Shaner would be great, but I don't think he's within the budget of the Batgirls team. They've picked well known but midlist and often very indie-appeal artists for the book, which to me indicates they don't really have a huge budget to spend on artists. My biggest fear is that when Googe is done with his four issues, we'll get Rodriguez again. That's my worst case scenario.

Given how badly the Tim Drake Pride Special sold, I'm not sure that putting Steph and Cass in a relationship with each other would change anything at all saleswise.
    Some fans would like that (I would), but I guess I see that more as a narrative choice than for sales, if that makes any sense. (Wasn't the Tim story kinda a weak comic in and of itself, though?)

Not even sure having Steph and Cass get together is even going to be a thing in the first place. While the author if their Future State story did indicate the intent was that they were a couple who'd broken up, were still in love, and rekindled their relationship in the end, we haven't exactly had any groundwork for that in the series as is. Would also think it would be news if DC was going to add more LTBTQ characters to the franchise. (I guess the upcoming story with Steph going out with a boy could be used to that effect; it doesn't work out, giving Steph reason to reassess things and start to realize that what she's been looking for has been right beside her all along.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yeah, I'm...really not expecting Cass and Steph to become a thing (romantically that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I'm...really not expecting Cass and Steph to become a thing (romantically that is).
    I'm curious why not?

Extraordinary Member

I'm curious why not?
    Is there any chemistry their? or is this a their standing next each other and steph is single now

Honestly its probably too late to save sales. I thought it was going to struggle sales wise, and well what can you do. Thought this was a delightful series though nonetheless. I certainly wasn't expecting to like it as much as i do.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-11-2022 at 05:34 AM.