Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirls

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    If this book is going to be about Batgirls then we should be celebrating all three, because different generations grew up with different Batgirls, and in the future there maybe another batgirl at some point too. So why all the fighting about this?

I mean by the logic of some readers it should really just be Dick and Bruce and that's it, no extended family because it's too much for some readers.
    Because judging by the ultra specific solicitations, we’re not getting all three. We’re getting the Cass and Steph show with Babs shunted off into the background. Babs won’t be Batgirl: she’ll just be the exposition, the one who doles out the missions and who doesn’t get her due to suit up on the field, regularly (not this bullshit “once in a while”) as it should be.

Meanwhile, Tim gets specifically mentioned as Robin while Damian also gets to be Robin, neither one of them has to sit out being on the comms—and then Frontier complained on another thread that Jace being Batman at the same time and in the same city as Bruce was “redundant.” Which is ****, because if we have to put up with shared mantles, then Bruce better just be sitting in a corner for years on end while Jace runs the show.

If all three Batgirls got to star together, sure. But Babs is getting excluded from her own mantle. And all this bullshit reasoning that’s just filled with double standards about how Babs deserves to get shunted off because because something important.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    If this book is going to be about Batgirls then we should be celebrating all three, because different generations grew up with different Batgirls, and in the future there maybe another batgirl at some point too. So why all the fighting about this?

I mean by the logic of some readers it should really just be Dick and Bruce and that's it, no extended family because it's too much for some readers.
    I don't know, maybe DC shouldn't create another Green Lantern situation. It hasn't worked with Robin brand, why would it work with Batgirls?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't know, maybe DC shouldn't create another Green Lantern situation. It hasn't worked with Robin brand, why would it work with Batgirls?
    DC has yet to learn that splitting your fan base isn't a good thing.
    The Batgirls book might placate cass and Steph fans but for how long? Baba has a movie in the works and is the Batgirl in all their outside media making it very clear who the official Batgirl is as far as WB/DC are concerned.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    DC has yet to learn that splitting your fan base isn't a good thing.
    The Batgirls book might placate cass and Steph fans but for how long? Baba has a movie in the works and is the Batgirl in all their outside media making it very clear who the official Batgirl is as far as WB/DC are concerned.
    They don’t deserve it. Cass and Steph are the same side-kicks no matter the name. Babs is the one who suffers: she goes back to tech support. Apparently, Babs is only at her best when she’s propping those two up. Except, they aren’t as versatile as Babs, and all they’ll be is someone to be ordered around. In need of perpetual guidance, unlike Barbara, who has enough versatility to carry her own stories all on her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Ideally the whole thing will crash and burn. They shouldn’t either let the three be Batgirl at the same time, or Babs should get to be Batgirl working with Spoiler and Orphan.
    Or Babs could return to primarily being Oracle / Cass could find a decent new identity / Steph could still be Spoiler / and then DC can introduce a NEW Batgirl!

Problem solved! Everybody can be equally pissed-off at DC!

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    It doesn’t matter, he’s Batman now. He’s still going to be Batman, because anything else is a demotion, unless you’re Cass or Tim who were ‘designed’ to be Batgirl and Robin—oh wait. Jace was designed to be Batman, just like Barbara.
    I'm sorry, but I don't buy into the idea that Barbara was designed to be Batman!

Extraordinary Member

Of all of them, Cass is the one who needs to be Batgirl the most, as it's the only decent super-hero identity she's had. Oracle is an iconic identity for Barbara, and Steph is versatile enough to work as Batgirl, Spoiler, or Robin. Heck, now that they've made her yet another genius and tech wizard she could probably be the guy in the chair like Babs often is. I get what they were going for given where the story of Batman Eternal went, but in the long run it would have been better to leave Steph with the same skills she had pre-reboot instead of having her compete with Tim over who's the better hacker.

Genuine question, but why are you so opposed to three Batgirls? Barbara doesn't lose anything by sharing the mantle, since it works just fine for the Flash Family and the Green Lantern Corps.
    And before you say what I know you're going to: yes, Barbara's book was cancelled. But it was cancelled due to low sales and poor quality, not because they hate Barbara (in fact it's the complete opposite) - the same thing happened to Red Hood.

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    Genuine question, but why are you so opposed to three Batgirls? Barbara doesn't lose anything by sharing the mantle, since it works just fine for the Flash Family and the Green Lantern Corps.
    And before you say what I know you're going to: yes, Barbara's book was cancelled. But it was cancelled due to low sales and poor quality, not because they hate Barbara (in fact it's the complete opposite) - the same thing happened to Red Hood.
    By the way, while it's the Green Lantern Corps that, from day one when they introduced Hal, is part of a larger organization, I'm not quite sure that saying "it works just fine for the Flash Family" is legitimate when it comes to Barry and Wally.

Astonishing Member

Or a desperate book dealing with that: and the only reason Batgirl was cancelled was because of Tynion’s mandate.
    Can you provide evidence?
    Because we can easily prove that it was done due to poor sales, and the frankly low reception of the last run. But there was nothing about it being Tynion's mandate, he doesn't decide, which book should be cancelled.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Can you provide evidence?
    Because we can easily prove that it was done due to poor sales, and the frankly low reception of the last run. But there was nothing about it being Tynion's mandate, he doesn't decide, which book should be cancelled.
    Go see his earlier interviews. He himself stated that he wanted a cohesive Bat-line, he got to approve what stories came out of his run. So we got thousands of Urban Legends and a Robin but no Batgirl. But nobody was allowed to use her anyway. Despite Taylor promising that she would be Batgirl just as much as Oracle, no, convenient excuse for her not to suit up. That came in the same week as Infinite Frontier, where Tynion had Babs refer to Batgirl as “The Costume,” and start downplaying what she accomplished in the role, additionally adding “It’s not like Gotham will go wanting for a Batgirl.” Tynion had a mandate for how he wanted characters to be in the run, so if someone wanted Babs as Batgirl? Tough.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    Not opposed to three Batgirls. I AM opposed to only two Batgirls with Babs being shunted off into the background as the coordinator; if they were all the field together at the same time for an equal amount of time? Fine. But that’s not what we’re getting and it’s’ bullshit. How is it “Batgirls” when The Batgirl is relegated to support? That is Barbara losing out: suiting up “once in a while” is just not good enough and the hypocrisy shows for A LOT of you when it is. Batgirl is important…so long as YOUR faves, who can do ANYTHING under any name, get to claw it away for reasons but Babs has to play second fiddle. Yeah, no double standard there.

Additionally: Red Hood got another chance coming up soon, not that he was cancelled as quickly as Batgirl because Tynion didn’t want Jason as much or as quick.

Spectacular Member

When I saw this thread start, I was hoping for good news, but I see it's fallen into the usual split fandom fights. Disappointing to say the least.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowedeyes View Post
    When I saw this thread start, I was hoping for good news, but I see it's fallen into the usual split fandom fights. Disappointing to say the least.
    Completely. Really dispiriting.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Completely. Really dispiriting.
    Agreed.

The book literally features all three Batgirls. A fair compromise. Seems like everyone should be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Agreed.

The book literally features all three Batgirls. A fair compromise. Seems like everyone should be satisfied.
    I'm sure the thread will be back on track now.

Anyways, i hope this book is announced soon, everybody knows this is coming and it should be a great one.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.