Page 6 of 91 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirls

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I'm sure the thread will be back on track now.
    Golly-gee, why would you think that?

I know, I'm just kidding because I think I understand exactly what you mean.

Anyways, i hope this book is announced soon, everybody knows this is coming and it should be a great one.
    Well, "everybody knows this is coming" may be going a bit too far.
    DC could just keep them in a back-up feature limbo if they don't at least get a mini-series or one-shot. Hard to tell if/how exactly the "minds" of DC's "decision makers" =koff! koff! = "work" these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Golly-gee, why would you think that?

I know, I'm just kidding because I think I understand exactly what you mean.

Well, "everybody knows this is coming" may be going a bit too far.
    DC could just keep them in a back-up feature limbo if they don't at least get a mini-series or one-shot. Hard to tell if/how exactly the "minds" of DC's "decision makers" =koff! koff! = "work" these days.
    They already hinted, a bunch of times, that this book is coming. Two or Three weeks ago we had a promotion in the books asking "Why Oracle is forming this team?". Now we have the Batgirls back-up stories in the Batman book.

Like, we get it, just announce already. I think this book can be good and if Conrad is really doing, it has the potential to be great. And i take all the Babs content i can get!
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Incredible Member

They already hinted, a bunch of times, that this book is coming. Two or Three weeks ago we had a promotion in the books asking "Why Oracle is forming this team?". Now we have the Batgirls back-up stories in the Batman book.

Like, we get it, just announce already. I think this book can be good and if Conrad is really doing, it has the potential to be great. And i take all the Babs content i can get!
    Exactly. Tynion all but confirmed it was coming a little while back:

"So, she is up front and center in all of this, and through all of those appearances we see that she's building this new direction for herself in a new way to evolve the Batgirl mythos with Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown," the writer explains.

"That's going to culminate just a little bit later in the year in a way that I think fans can probably predict, but it's something that I'm very, very excited for and we've got some incredible, incredible creators, who are going to pick up the baton and carry the next steps forward for Barbara."
    https://www.gamesradar.com/new-batgi...-year-from-dc/

Then we have him also saying they were using Infinite frontier to rebuild the bat-family, including the Batgirls, before the ‘events of the fall’ would springboard them into more. We now know that is Fear State, and it has been said that multiple books would be launching out of the events of Fear State.

This can’t-miss event is also the launching point for several new series and plotlines across all Batman-family titles, setting a new status quo for 2022!
    https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/0...recrow-and-the

And now the artist hinted at it on Twitter.

While Tynion may be leaving, I doubt they’d chuck out all the work and plans for launching the Batgirls and what’s to come. I think it’s all but a lock for end of this year/start of next year, preferably this year.
    Last edited by Zorkel567; 08-16-2021 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    . . . While Tynion may be leaving, I doubt they’d chuck out all the work and plans for launching the Batgirls and what’s to come. I think it’s all but a lock for end of this year/start of next year, preferably this year.
    And yet, in the Stargirl special that came out towards the end of May, it was said that a Stargirl #1 would be coming.
    Still waiting to see when that's going to happen.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

And yet, in the Stargirl special that came out towards the end of May, it was said that a Stargirl #1 would be coming.
    To be fair, that is likely Johns. Tynion and the Bat office haven't been known for the delays that have plagued all of Johns's projects for the past 5 years.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    To be fair, that is likely Johns. Tynion and the Bat office haven't been known for the delays that have plagued all of Johns's projects for the past 5 years.
    You're being kind there.
    I think you could have safely made that at least 10 years!

Incredible Member

Yeah, but I'd say that getting books out is the least of the Bat office's problems, especially if comments everytime solicits come out are considered. Haha.

It seems like they could be taking a similar approach as they did with both Robin and Task Force Z, introducing them in back-ups to establish the characters and grow the audience, before spinning them off into their own series.

Yeah, say what you want, but Batman's office knows how to sell things.

You're being kind there.
    I think you could have safely made that at least 10 years!
    I thought his stuff in JL, Aquaman, etc came out on time? I wasn't reading then - left in 2012 and didn't come back until 2014, so I've only read them in trade or the Walmart books.

Yeah, but I'd say that getting books out is the least of the Bat office's problems, especially if comments everytime solicits come out are considered. Haha.

It seems like they could be taking a similar approach as they did with both Robin and Task Force Z, introducing them in back-ups to establish the characters and grow the audience, before spinning them off into their own series.
    I do wonder how they think giving just a month or less to a backup and then spinning something into an ongoing or miniseries is actually good for gauging fan interest. You can't really tell how much someone wants something if you never actually give time to see sales, unless you're going completely by presales to stores, which seems like a very bad idea. But you'd have to wait for 3 months if you actually wanted real sales data from stores.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post

I do wonder how they think giving just a month or less to a backup and then spinning something into an ongoing or miniseries is actually good for gauging fan interest. You can't really tell how much someone wants something if you never actually give time to see sales, unless you're going completely by presales to stores, which seems like a very bad idea. But you'd have to wait for 3 months if you actually wanted real sales data from stores.
    My assumption- and admittedly I know almost nothing about the actual set-up of the comic book industry- is that whether Robin, Task Force Z, or the likely Batgirls, they're not bothering to actually gauge fan interest beyond maybe market research. I think at the point we get back-ups, they're full steam ahead on the books. Instead of using the back-ups to see if fans are interested, they're stick the back-ups in top selling books, ie. Batman, DC's #1 selling book or 'Tec, which is also a high seller AFAIK- to increase eyes on the books.

I assume they already have an idea of how the book could sell, but they're using the back-ups to try and get people on the fence or who aren't likely to be interested to sample the set-up for the series, in the hope that they will then start buying the actual book when it comes out, because they liked what they saw.

But I could be totally wrong.

My assumption- and admittedly I know almost nothing about the actual set-up of the comic book industry- is that whether Robin, Task Force Z, or the likely Batgirls, they're not bothering to actually gauge fan interest beyond maybe market research. I think at the point we get back-ups, they're full steam ahead on the books. Instead of using the back-ups to see if fans are interested, they're stick the back-ups in top selling books, ie. Batman, DC's #1 selling book or 'Tec, which is also a high seller AFAIK- to increase eyes on the books.

I assume they already have an idea of how the book could sell, but they're using the back-ups to try and get people on the fence or who aren't likely to be interested to sample the set-up for the series, in the hope that they will then start buying the actual book when it comes out, because they liked what they saw.

But I could be totally wrong.
    That makes sense - backups as more extensive advertisements, instead of being a gauge. But they always advertise things as "You asked for it, you got it" - the only time that's been true recently is the forthcoming Robins miniseries. And that's gonna have at least as much negative backlash as positively, sadly (sadly for me, because I'm very excited about it).

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Exactly. Tynion all but confirmed it was coming a little while back:

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-batgi...-year-from-dc/

Then we have him also saying they were using Infinite frontier to rebuild the bat-family, including the Batgirls, before the ‘events of the fall’ would springboard them into more. We now know that is Fear State, and it has been said that multiple books would be launching out of the events of Fear State.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/0...recrow-and-the

And now the artist hinted at it on Twitter.

While Tynion may be leaving, I doubt they’d chuck out all the work and plans for launching the Batgirls and what’s to come. I think it’s all but a lock for end of this year/start of next year, preferably this year.
    What artist hinted at it?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    What artist hinted at it?
    Sorry, I meant writer, not artist. And I was referring to the tweets in the first couple posts of this thread, where he's hinting at a big DC announcement coming- after the Batgirls back-up had been solicited for October already- and saying he can't say anymore right now RE: Batgirls, while using the winky face.

Incredible Member

Really hope Steph gets her cowl back

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Really hope Steph gets her cowl back
    I love what they are doing with Steph these days but I miss her with the name Spoiler.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime