Page 65 of 91 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirls

I don't think "subservient" is fair to anybody, really.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think "subservient" is fair to anybody, really.
    Well I just want Babs back in her wheelchair with the New 52 Babsgirl stuff erased from continuity, with Babs back to playing the role she played in Cass and Steph’s solo series.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    Well I just want Babs back in her wheelchair with the New 52 Babsgirl stuff erased from continuity, with Babs back to playing the role she played in Cass and Steph’s solo series.
    Well, I wasn't a massive fan of the New 52 Batgirl stuff but it seems like they're trying to have her play a similar role in the current Batgirls while doing different stuff.

Your mileage may vary.

BANNED

Well, I wasn't a massive fan of the New 52 Batgirl stuff but it seems like they're trying to have her play a similar role in the current Batgirls while doing different stuff.

Your mileage may vary.
    I won’t read it because I won’t read a comic where Barbara is not in her wheelchair. That stuff should have been left in the pre-Crisis era.

I don’t think you or anyone realizes how important Barbara is to me in her wheelchair as Oracle.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I won’t read it because I won’t read a comic where Barbara is not in her wheelchair. That stuff should have been left in the pre-Crisis era.

I don’t think you or anyone realizes how important Barbara is to me in her wheelchair as Oracle.
    This really reminds me of the person who reviewed the Batgirl vs Catwoman issue of Batman: Confidential where Batgirl has to go through a nudist club, and they reviewed only the art because they promised never to read a book with Barbara until she was OUT of the chair.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    This really reminds me of the person who reviewed the Batgirl vs Catwoman issue of Batman: Confidential where Batgirl has to go through a nudist club, and they reviewed only the art because they promised never to read a book with Barbara until she was OUT of the chair.
    I despise Babsgirl and I won’t apologize for it. Cass proved way back in 1999 that she is the superior Batgirl.

I despise Babsgirl and I won’t apologize for it. Cass proved way back in 1999 that she is the superior Batgirl.
    While you have every right to feel that way, I think you're going to turn off more fans than you will win over with that approach.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I realize how important Oracle is as a character and identity for Babs and for certain fans, but I'm a fan of her in various forms so I guess I'm more accepting.
    That's definitely an issue that's stayed with me for one reason or another .

I realize how important Oracle is as a character and identity for Babs and for certain fans, but I'm a fan of her in various forms so I guess I'm more accepting.

That's definitely an issue that's stayed with me for one reason or another .
    I much, much prefer Babs as Oracle, but I also am so frustrated and saddened by the fighting between Babs, Cass, and Steph fans, and I think the only way forward is to have all three as Batgirls. Just the way I think it has to be.

I personally don't really enjoy the Maguire art OR the concept. It was definitely during FabNic's "I am horny and I must write comics" phase. Just made me feel a bit bleh reading it.

I much, much prefer Babs as Oracle, but I also am so frustrated and saddened by the fighting between Babs, Cass, and Steph fans, and I think the only way forward is to have all three as Batgirls. Just the way I think it has to be.
    That's the way I look at it, though I'm perfectly fine with Babs as Batgirl provided she get good stories.
    I personally don't really enjoy the Maguire art OR the concept. It was definitely during FabNic's "I am horny and I must write comics" phase. Just made me feel a bit bleh reading it.
    It was definitely very excessive on the cheesecake, for better or worse, though I think it helped the story be memorable .

BANNED

While you have every right to feel that way, I think you're going to turn off more fans than you will win over with that approach.
    I’m not here to appease Babsgirl fans.

BANNED

They are already doing that and it doesn’t work. I will not read the current Batgirls book because Barbara is not paralyzed.

And I am someone who was beyond pissed with what happened to Cass in 2006 and Steph in 2011. I’m also a huge fan of Birds of Prey (pre-Flashpoint).

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, the Batgirls need to have a more simpatico existence like the Robins do.

And also yeah, that’s the first real FabNic story I read set in Gotham that displeased me - mostly because the excuse for he main, already deeply problematic hook of “sexploitation - Gotham style!” was the idea that Batgirl wouldn’t just barge into the nudist club to catch Catwoman anyway. Why should she give a damn what the rules of the house are?
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yeah, the Batgirls need to have a more simpatico existence like the Robins do.

And also yeah, that’s the first real FabNic story I read set in Gotham that displeased me - mostly because the excuse for he main, already deeply problematic hook of “sexploitation - Gotham style!” was the idea that Batgirl wouldn’t just barge into the nudist club to catch Catwoman anyway. Why should she give a damn what the rules of the house are?
    She was young, she was a prude, the comedy wrote itself I guess .

Extraordinary Member

She was young, she was a prude, the comedy wrote itself I guess .
    Yet a prude would be more likely to just barrel ahead while still wearing their clothing than take it off themselves - and it wouldn’t impact the comedy if one person was actually able to be written both in clothes among a bunch of nudists… and a vigilante isn’t going to mind a dress code.

The comedy Fo a chase through a nudist club because Catwoman’s hiding among them writes itself. You’ve got to strain yourself and make some weird, counterintuitive explicit writing choices (not *that* kind of explicit) to get Batgirl to play along.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP