• Captain Marvel

22 22.22%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    "A super-powered blonde alien chick in a
    red & blue outfit whose last name is Danvers?"

"Oh, how original."
    Oof, but modern supergirl(I mean before Tom king turned her into a drunk murderer IIRC, don't quote me) has way better personality than Cap Marvel.
    Her anger issues, specially with the red lantern ring is a highlight.

BANNED

Seriously, the water burial with tracy burke, dealing with her loss from cancer, enemy within and her sacrifice of her identity, pursuit of flight? These were great arcs and had some of her best stuff from any era

The poll is a bit weird for me, because Carol in bendis' avengers barely got to do anything. There was nothing for her, no arc, nothing. Any arc she had came from Brian Reed's solo stuff. Warbird in Busieks stuff by comparison had a stronger arc starting in live kree or die and ending in kang dynasty, bendis carol was literally in the back, sidelined by tony for the leadership, never got to do anything in new avengers.

Same with early Ms Marvel, while she was there in arcs like Korvac saga, nights of wundagore and such stories she wasn't there prominently. Her solo by claremont was great, basically set up her character beats, family, origin, personality elements of which were still prominent in 2010s so it was a strong concept. She's never had good stuff in the avengers USUALLY. Compare hickman's avengers where she's got nothing to KSD's tie ins where she's portrayed as an active and capable leader.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 08-15-2021 at 02:47 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Carol as Ms. Marvel was generally portrayed (in Avengers at least and occasionally even in her own series) as having more personality that Carol as Capt Marvel. The Brian Reed series was actually quite good until he (or whomever made the call) completely sidelined Carol for other characters such as Moonstone as the title character. But, while I have enjoyed Thompson's run on the title more than just about anyone's (although KSD's early issues were quite excellent) my ultimate pick will always be for
    cho marvel.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I miss having comics this good. Great art, fantastic stories, awsome characters portraited in a way that made sense.

Peace
    We can still have stories like that, but Marvel isn't interested in that kind of talent and when they do they seem to put them on projects that are located at the edges of the Marvel Universe. Which is sad because the older talent can tell stories with a clear beginning, middle and end without butchering the characterization.

I'm not saying replace everyone. I'm just saying that at this point we all know the young creators that are working....and the one's that need more seasoning. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Marvel doesn't have the talent to sustain the amount of books it puts out. Marvel has the talent to put out twenty-five to thirty books.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday John Romita Jr.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Sharing headspace with Rogue.
    That was the result of the battle between the comicbook characters Rogue and Ms. Marvel...

That wasn't the comicbook character Rogue's intent though.

The transfer of skills, thoughts and memories was supposed to be temporary
    NOT permanently

Art by John Romita Jr. https://happyhappybirthday.net/en/ag...jr-person_yfua and Al Williamson
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 08-19-2021 at 01:50 AM.

BANNED

However, thanks to sharing headspace...

the comicbook character Ms. Marvel took over the comicbook character Rogue's body

and liberated the comicbook characters Rogue and Wolverine from captivity.
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 08-19-2021 at 01:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Carol as Ms. Marvel was generally portrayed (in Avengers at least and occasionally even in her own series) as having more personality that Carol as Capt Marvel. The Brian Reed series was actually quite good until he (or whomever made the call) completely sidelined Carol for other characters such as Moonstone as the title character. But, while I have enjoyed Thompson's run on the title more than just about anyone's (although KSD's early issues were quite excellent) my ultimate pick will always be for
    cho marvel.jpg
    A shame that KSD no longer wants anything to do with Marvel these days. She had a rare opportunity to increase her fan base by bringing in both the Spider-Readers and X-Readers into her run on Captain Marvel. She did neither one as a way of marketing the character by having her as a reoccurring guest in those books. Nor did she used the opportunity to another Spider-Man story in her run on Avengers Assembled working alongside Spider-Woman and Black Widow, that could had been a goldmine for Marvel. Instead, all we got was:

Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Spider-Woman
    Spider-Girl, Black Widow, and Spider-Woman

When KSD decided to allow Carol to lose her memories a second time, I lost interest in Captain Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    Avengers era Ms. Marvel was one of my favorite Marvel characters. Her as CM has been lame.

What we should have had was

Ms. Marvel: Carol Danvers

Captain Marvel: Monica Rambeau

Marvel Girl: Kamala Khan

THAT would have been a helluva "Marvel" family.

Frickin' Alonso....
    Hehe, my fave moment was when Carol was acting as mentor right before Dark Reign to Ultra Girl and some others.

I've only ever cared about the character as Captain Marvel. As Ms. Marvel she was just generic Avenger #12.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    I don't really see any difference between Ms. Marvel and Warbird, so either of those.
    Ditto. Although I voted Warbird because that's the name she was sporting when Busiek made me actually care about her for the first time. I enjoyed most of Reed's Ms. Marvel series as well, but so much of it seemed to follow Bendis' lead over in New Avengers (most of which I didn't enjoy).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Captain Marvel is the best costume she’s had and ergo is the best thing for her to be.

BANNED

Happy Birthday Kurt Busiek!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    The Black and Gold

Warbird

Kurt Busiek rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I miss having comics this good. Great art, fantastic stories, awsome characters portraited in a way that made sense.

Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I really liked the Kurt Busiek reboot of Carol as Warbird. I'm drastically in the minority on that, I'm sure. But it was very cool.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Kurt_Busiek