Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    You know they would have done something with Supergirl around the time that Flash came out, be it her own mini/series or having a prominent story with her in another book. Most likely with her look similar to the movie version. Neither DC or Marvel are shy at having movie synergy.
    DC's a little less consistent about it compared to Marvel (I remember how long it took Kara to get a book again when the show first came out), although if DC needs to do something with Kara, they'll probably just make her evil again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    DC's a little less consistent about it compared to Marvel (I remember how long it took Kara to get a book again when the show first came out), although if DC needs to do something with Kara, they'll probably just make her evil again.
    Hush your tongue! Don't you dare give them any ideas!
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Hush your tongue! Don't you dare give them any ideas!
    At this point it's less me giving them ideas and more just expecting the worst .

Batman #116 / 117
    detective comics #1045
    batman: Fear state: Omega #1
    robin & batman #1 / 2
    batman 2021 annual #1
    the joker 2021 annual #1
    detective comics 2021 annual #1
    batman '89 #4
    batman/catwoman #9
    the joker #9
    green lantern #8
    justice league: Last ride #7
    the swamp thing #9

Quote Originally Posted by Vathlonian View Post
    the MCU may not bring millions of readers

they almost certainly incentivize the comics to preserve radical ideas

sam wilson is still captain america after 5 YEARS
    It's seven years since he first became Cap - but he actually gave up the mantle after three. He only just took it back, probably as MCU synergy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I doubt it’s that. Wally returning to the mantle is something the fans have been begging for for a long time, and it’s good! Jeremy Adam’s has done a great job, even totally cleansed Wally of HiC. The book is selling terribly regardless. Across the line DC as a whole is pretty damn solid, but because they didn’t do a linewide relaunch to get peoples attention, they simply aren’t getting people to check out their books.

I’m expecting a linewide relaunch after Williamson’s 2022 event book.

I am. Falcon doesn’t sell and Sam has the mantle going forward in the MCU. Steve will probably share the mantle with Sam, same as Miles and Peter. That seems to be the norm, the white OGs sharing their mantles with their legacies who are usually not white or not straight. Aquaman is doing it, Batman, GL, etc.
    Yeah, Sam sold better as Cap than he did as Falcon - his Falcon book didn't last long. I agree about Flash, good book, apparently not selling well. Not having a new #1 was a mistake.

I wonder what the relaunch is going to look like...they have been slowly but surely leading into a status quo very similar to 5G with Batman leaving, Superman leaving, with Wonder Woman ready to pass her mantle as well as Kaldur becoming the new Aquaman.

They are also leading to aquababy

They are devoted to this basic direction
    I can honestly see Andy being aged up fast, so she can be a preteen Aqualass.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Carol Danvers and initial Coates' Black Panther are one of the few heroes to get an MCU bump.

Best-case scenario he gets to be Cap in another team book or co-starring with Steve in the next full Cap book.
    Carol definitely did, yeah, Kelly Thompson's run sells better than her predecessors and therefore has lasted longer. The last Carol book to last that long was Brian Reed's Ms Marvel over a decade ago.

Aquaman has a movie coming up, and Supergirl has a TV show as well as being in the upcoming Flash movie. They would have got, at the minimum, a mini-series regardless of any Batman sales.
    The Supergirl series is ending this year.

You know they would have done something with Supergirl around the time that Flash came out, be it her own mini/series or having a prominent story with her in another book. Most likely with her look similar to the movie version. Neither DC or Marvel are shy at having movie synergy.
    That Supergirl apparently isn't Kara. Though maybe that's why Tom King's book is called Woman of Tomorrow - she becomes Superwoman at the end, leaving the Supergirl name free for a legacy character?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Supergirl series is ending this year.
    That wasn't the argument. The argument was that she only had a comic right now because of Batman sales. That's incorrect. She's consistently had both an ongoing or mini-series (sometimes both at the same time) for the majority of the time her show was on TV. Batman had nothing to do with it.

Having the Tom King mini out now both puts a monthly on the shelves while the final season is on TV, but also puts a graphic novel on book shelves with the "Supergirl" logo around the time Flash comes out with a version of the character in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That Supergirl apparently isn't Kara. Though maybe that's why Tom King's book is called Woman of Tomorrow - she becomes Superwoman at the end, leaving the Supergirl name free for a legacy character?
    We won't know until the movie comes out, but it still keeps the "Supergirl" branding active and in the spotlight for when she shows up on the big screen.

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

. . She's consistently had both an ongoing or mini-series (sometimes both at the same time) for the majority of the time her show was on TV...
    But for some reason, she didn't have one when the TV show first started.
    According to wikipedia, the first episode aired on CBS television here in the U.S. on October 26, 2015.

DC threw together a "Supergirl Special Edition #1" (reprinting the first issue of her New 52 series) around then, followed by a six-issue "Adventures of Supergirl" series by Sterling Gates that first came out in May of 2016.

Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But for some reason, she didn't have one when the TV show first started.
    According to wikipedia, the first episode aired on CBS television here in the U.S. on October 26, 2015.

DC threw together a "Supergirl Special Edition #1" (reprinting the first issue of her New 52 series) around then, followed by a six-issue "Adventures of Supergirl" series by Sterling Gates that first came out in May of 2016.

Go figure.
    That's why I said "majority of the time" and not "the entire time."

That's why I said "majority of the time" and not "the entire time."
    Oh, I understand.

I was just pointing it out for the benefit of people who didn't realize it.

Mighty Member

the MCU may not bring millions of readers

they almost certainly incentivize the comics to preserve radical ideas

sam wilson is still captain america after 5 YEARS
    When "WandaVision" hits on Disney+, all the trade and graphic novels that featuring "Scarlet Witch and Vision" are completely sold out everywhere. So, it totally impacts the comic divisions.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    When "WandaVision" hits on Disney+, all the trade and graphic novels that featuring "Scarlet Witch and Vision" are completely sold out everywhere. So, it totally impacts the comic divisions.
    Um...I checked the sales numbers for the time frame in which WandaVision landed on Disney+ and not only was no book or trade featuring Scarlet Witch or the Vision in the top 100, I couldn't find a book or trade featuring them at all. Maybe Avengers? But that features, well, the whole Avengers team...

The books that were in the top 20 were the books that are always in the top 20: Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men, Justice League, Avengers. Infinite Frontier and Teen Titans Academy were in the top 20, which was cool to see.

But, yeah, as for the general point, the TV/Film side of things rarely if ever impacts comic book sales.

Extraordinary Member

For those disappointed that there are too many Bat-books, I totally get it. Trust me, I've done my fair share of relenting that DC doesn't give other characters a fair shot, buuuuuut I do think we have at least a few little known characters on display here today and a fair amount of representation for non-Batman franchises. I mean, I never thought we'd actually even see Human Target again since his last series was like 20 years ago (right?) let alone see him in a new solo maxiseries by one of DC's current top-writers. So, that's a good thing. Also, four Wonder Woman books! Wahoo!!

Also, I can't really be mad at the Robins miniseries, since that was the product of a fan-vote. I wish I'd known about the DC Round Robin sooner as, now that I'm hearing about the story ideas that were up for contention, I'm realizing I would have LOVED to see a lot of those. The Green Lantern: Underworld on Fire and Jesse Quick: Control arcs sounded particularly interesting to me. It's been a loooooooong time since I saw Jesse Quick.