Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Batman's actually done a fair amount of detecting in the current issues of Detective Comics. Tamaki's run is far from perfect, but it is the superior Bat-book at the moment (imho).

However, nothing beats some old school Alan Grant or Doug Moench stories.
    Yeah, I was mostly being facetious. Truthfully, he's been solving lots of mysteries of late.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Mighty Member

This is ridiculous, Shall I quit DC right now cause looking at the solicit is pretty much the final nail of coffin for me.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    This is ridiculous, Shall I quit DC right now cause looking at the solicit is pretty much the final nail of coffin for me.
    Would you like your complimentary Batseverance package?
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Batman always produces better content and excell at the things it supposed to comparatively as long He doesn't get dragged into dc and shared universe thing.But dc wants temperory sales boosts.At the end of the day it's a band aid.

No body really cares enough to buy their other properties.They don't produce quality content to reach audiences,even if they found a way to market the characters.That's the root of dc's problem.Blaming batman for dc's incompetence won't bring anything... Although i do believe batman should be kept away.Stop putting band aids on this rotting wound..If superman or ww or whatever sinks.Let it sink.Either reboot after a long time.or/meanwhile create new ips and find ways to market them.Tell new stories .Entertain and engage people with narratives.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-13-2021 at 11:58 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Robin & Batman and Batman/Superman: Authority Special are the only real additional Batman books in November (as in, were not effectively already there in October), but I'll even throw the Gotham City Villains Anniversary Giant in to avoid needless arguing. Although there seems to only be three non-Bat books (and I don't care if Batman is in a ensemble book) new to the lineup.

The inclusion of some December books is strange, and I would be more interested what that is about rather than the low effort, tabloid "oh no batman" headlines. It is also strange to see the November solicits include what would have been a December ship date (Tuesday, November 30th) but that must have happened already by now.
    I'm wondering the same about the December books. Extra promotion is the only reason I can think of. But for that to be effective the layout should be different. A December label would have stopped me from getting a "Is this double shipping?" scare multiple times.

For Lunar/DC the 30th November is a November ship date because their NCBDs are Tuesdays.

Titans Academy
    Wonder Girl
    And maybe Human target because of Ice.

I'm pretty sure that Marvel solicits will have more variety and content than DC's.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Batman always produces better content and excell at the things it supposed to comparatively as long He doesn't get dragged into dc and shared universe thing.But dc wants temperory sales boosts.At the end of the day it's a band aid.

No body really cares enough to buy their other properties.They don't produce quality content to reach audiences,even if they found a way to market the characters.That's the root of dc's problem.Blaming batman for dc's incompetence won't bring anything... Although i do believe batman should be kept away.Stop putting band aids on this rotting wound..If superman or ww or whatever sinks.Let it sink.Either reboot after a long time.or/meanwhile create new ips and find ways to market them.Tell new stories .Entertain and engage people with narratives.

It stings, but it is true.

The average person has no idea about the extended DC universe and the big three is slowly being widdled down to the big ONE.

Superman has lost nearly all cultural cache, and the good will that Wonder Woman had has gone by the wayside because there are no projects with her other than the two films (I mean where are the Wonder Woman tv shows, cartoons, video games).

The only IP that DC is investing in is Batman and this is why we have soo many batbooks

It sucks for us dorks on these message boards and the ATT execs we're no more than a passing cloud.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post

I agree with this and you do have a point.

However, I think people do care and they might care a bit more if they actually invested time and talent into their other properties. Like, we all know Batman sells. But for a business to be successful you need it to be operating sufficiently across the line. You can only get by so long on one thing. DC can't get there and say "but they don't buy our other books!" Well, they would if you actually invested in them.

You have to spend money to make money.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    DC can't get there and say "but they don't buy our other books!" We'll, they would if you actually invested in them. You have to spend money to make money.
    Well, they really don't buy other books. It's not even about some B-Listers, just look at Superman sales.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The thing about superman is that the ip in outside media is geared towards a different demographics and is doing ok with superman and lois.

It didn't start today either.It started with donner movie having heavy influence of romance.the character going in that direction of this romantic hero who give moral lessons to children/people(silverage after comics code...they gave a savior figure twist to that so older demographics feel the thing has depth).That isn't bad persay.But,those demographics don't clearly read comics.Even if they do they are far less to sustain the comics.i would argue that superman is dumbed down and talks down to children(from my nephew and his friends).Children that's older don't care for him.Younger children might.The female/teen demographics have taken a liking to the characters , relationship and cast.Especially,the clois ship.but,they aren't comicbook crowd nor even graphic novel.It's like mcu not giving that much of a huge boost to their comics.

We could argue the size of that demographic in general.We could even argue if it could reach beyond that demographics.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-14-2021 at 07:04 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Good Grief DC is really baiting me with all this Dick Grayson content. Robin & Batman is a must-buy.

Strange Adventures is still good too.

Icon & Rocket

Justice League Infinity

Maybe I should check out Mister Miracle
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

Yes, there are way too many Bat books but a lot of them are projects, probably meant to get some more material on book store shelves and give some work to creators who probably want to see decent royalties.

But, people act like there is not at least 40 books coming out in November that do not star Batman or at least are a big enough cast that it does not matter or are really giving other characters a story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Superman has lost nearly all cultural cache, and the good will that Wonder Woman had has gone by the wayside because there are no projects with her other than the two films (I mean where are the Wonder Woman tv shows, cartoons, video games).

The only IP that DC is investing in is Batman and this is why we have soo many batbooks
    From the publication side, it's less DC investing in Batman and more because all the other properties including WW/Superman/GL were mismanaged.

1) Superman had 4 different books even in the early 2000s. The loss of Superbooks is absolutely a result of bad editors. From post-Infinite Crisis to the end of New 52, we had close to 16 writers on just TWO books. The entire line was mismanaged by editors constantly shuffling off creative teams. Superman might have had a stronger hand if Loeb had't been driven into the arms of Marvel or if Johns/Busiek had a longer run.
    2) GL had four books in its heyday with Johns. But editorial put in mediocre talent afterwards to better control the books and failed to solidify these gains, which were lost.
    3) Wonder Woman was mismanaged. Getting rid of Rucka, Amazons Attacks by the same Superman editor, micromanaging and interfering in Simone's run, the Finch run, not getting an a-list team following the success of the movie, etc.

Batman in contrast continually had strong teams leading the way and minimal editorial interference. We had Morrison as the lead post-Infinite Crisis all the way up to New 52. Then in New 52, we had Snyder. And regardless of individual opinion, King/Tynion were still competent writers and you still had decent quality on the peripheral books Tony Daniel not withstanding.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 08-14-2021 at 07:24 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    From the publication side, it's less DC investing in Batman and more because all the other properties including WW/Superman/GL were mismanaged.

1) Superman had 4 different books even in the early 2000s. The loss of Superbooks is absolutely a result of bad editors. From post-Infinite Crisis to the end of New 52, we had close to 16 writers on just TWO books. The entire line was mismanaged by editors constantly shuffling off creative teams. Superman might have had a stronger hand if Loeb had't been driven into the arms of Marvel or if Johns/Busiek had a longer run.
    2) GL had four books in its heyday with Johns. But editorial put in mediocre talent afterwards to better control the books and failed to solidify these gains, which were lost.
    3) Wonder Woman was mismanaged. Getting rid of Rucka, Amazons Attacks by the same Superman editor, micromanaging and interfering in Simone's run, the Finch run, not getting an a-list team following the success of the movie, etc.

Batman in contrast continually had strong teams leading the way and minimal editorial interference. We had Morrison as the lead post-Infinite Crisis all the way up to New 52. Then in New 52, we had Snyder. And regardless of individual opinion, King/Tynion were still competent writers and you still had decent quality on the peripheral books Tony Daniel not withstanding.
    This. Thank you for putting into words exactly what I was thinking.

Their other characters do sell. But they've allowed them to fall by the wayside. I wouldn't necessarily say mismanagement, more like no management. They simply stopped caring.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    . . . But, people act like there is not at least 40 books coming out in November that do not star Batman or at least are a big enough cast that it does not matter or are really giving other characters a story.
    They may have lost interest in reading through the rest of the solicitations because of how Bat-heavy they seemed for the first +/-half or so . . .
    DC really seemed to have buried a lot of the non-Bat solicitations.