Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Eh, it doesn't feel like a story from the late 90's early 2000's at all...I wish it did though. If it was like those stories it wouldn't have needed 12 issues to tell a story that only had plot enough for three or four issues. I think that's my biggest problem with the story to be honest, it just doesn't feel big enough to be worth this much time and money. If it had been a three part story the pacing would have been tighter and even if the conclusion didn't land perfectly no biggie it was only a few issues so no big investment...but when you go on for twelve issues it has to feel worth the investment and be near perfect, and this wasn't anywhere near that.
    Very true.
    Tamaki dragged a 3-4-issues story for 12 issues and then completely nerfed characters to justify why so many batfamily members were needed in this event.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Very true.
    Tamaki dragged a 3-4-issues story for 12 issues and then completely nerfed characters to justify why so many batfamily members were needed in this event.
    I feel like it wasn't her choosing, she's previously had pretty tight plotting.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Detective Comics #1058 Preview
    Writer: Mariko Tamaki
    Artist: Amancay Nahuelpan
    Backup Writer: Matthew Rosenberg
    Backup Artist: Fernando Blanco

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Very true.

I was enjoying this weekly story quite a bit. Until Nightwing got taken out by Scarecrow. You would think that Nightwing would have been able to fight back against Scarecrow with all his experience. That he would have been ready for anything. That he would not need Batman to just suddenly show up and save him from certain death. And now he's out of the picture completely.
    Very disappointing.
    I would like to see a story where Nightwing has to save Batman .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I was enjoying this weekly story quite a bit. Until Nightwing got taken out by Scarecrow. You would think that Nightwing would have been able to fight back against Scarecrow with all his experience. That he would have been ready for anything. That he would not need Batman to just suddenly show up and save him from certain death. And now he's out of the picture completely.
    Very disappointing.
    I would like to see a story where Nightwing has to save Batman .
    Has that ever happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Detective Comics #1058 Preview
    Writer: Mariko Tamaki
    Artist: Amancay Nahuelpan
    Backup Writer: Matthew Rosenberg
    Backup Artist: Fernando Blanco

How many more screwups will the people of Gotham abide by before Nakano's out of office?

Extraordinary Member

DC will be collecting the main story and the backups in two different trades:

http://prhinternationalsales.com/boo...=9781779517005
    http://prhinternationalsales.com/boo...=9781779517012

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    DC will be collecting the main story and the backups in two different trades:

http://prhinternationalsales.com/boo...=9781779517005
    http://prhinternationalsales.com/boo...=9781779517012
    That's good. I originally thought (hoped, really) that House of Gotham would actually matter to the main story. When it didn't, I was quite irritated. At least they won't try to sell me on it in the trades!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

This event is well past over and not a word from everyone?
    I'll go first then.

Main story, well... I still have a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm not yet sure if iI liked it or not.
    Batman saving the world and Dick treated as an idiot was not necessary and ruined my expectations.
    And the finale happened for the most part off-panel leaving me confused.
    Overall this kind of story should be the among the ones I love, batfamily, base grounded, no superpowers and focus on characters.
    I loved the work done on Huntress and loved the pace till last 3 issues. The landing was meh.

House of Gotham has been better. A nice excursion on old Batman eras, and a well done work on the main character. I liked the finale too.

I'm the opposite. Despite a few stumbles in the finale (mostly in the transition between issue 11 and 12), the art, action, and cast of The Tower was really exciting and enjoyable to me. Was it a deep, character focused story? No - but it wasn't sold to me as one. It was like Batman Eternal, 12 weeks with my favorite characters in my favorite city in DC. And it wasn't a city-destroying threat - so the stakes felt quite nice, and the action was great.

House of Gotham was kinda whatever for me in the beginning, got really exciting for me with the Knightfall and NML tie-ins, but then the ending was a complete disappointment and I'm really mad they had the backups being 12 issues too, which I think built expectations that the two stories would be connected.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    This event is well past over . . .
    It is?

Good. Maybe I'll look into picking up a future issue of Detective Comics at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It is?

Good. Maybe I'll look into picking up a future issue of Detective Comics at some point.
    Well, the next story is by the same creative team, but with an added co-writer, about the Riddler. Maybe interesting to you? Dunno.