Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Yeah, no, you’re just being hypocritical. “It’s only ok until—“ that’s not how mantle sharing works.

Jace took up Batman, ergo, he’s entitled to it now. Bruce needs to back off and go do something equally as ‘important.’ Go be the extra exposition and support that Babs has been.
    I don't think it's hypocritical in the slightest. It's like a job. You have Company A and Company B. Company A's CEO just stepped down (Babs), and now two leading candidates to take over (Steph and Cass) both are executives (superheroes) in the company, have years of experience with the team (working with the Bat-fam) and the corporation, and have a long history in the field (20+ years in comics). They both make since as successors.

Then you have Company B, whose CEO is well-established (Bruce). You're not going to put random, dude from the street (Jace) who has no executive experience in the company (no superhero experience), have no experience working with the established team (only Luke from the Bat-family has had any interaction with Jace), and no history in the field (hasn't appeared in 20+ years.)

Nobody's going to say, "It totally makes sense for Company B to hire random dude with no experience just because Company A may be promoting those two, highly-qualified and experienced candidates. Random dude says he wants the job, so I guess it's totally comparable to having the history and experience."

And once more, I say this as someone who is totally fine with Jace Fox- and has been reading his appearances. I do think the argument that someone has to accept it makes sense for every potential for mantel-sharing to be okay, or absolutely none of it, it nonsensical and frankly ridiculous.

It's like the scene in The Dark Knight where Bruce stops the three randos that have all dressed up like him. None of them had the experience or skills that he did, and they would get hurt if they continued trying to take up his idea without any training or experience. One of them even gets killed by the Joker later, proving the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    I'm totally fine with mantel sharing. Bruce and Jace? Great. Steph, Cass, Barbara? Definitely. Peter and Miles? No problem. All the various Green Lanterns? Sure thing. And I like Jace a lot already, and have been following Second Son and I Am Batman.
    I guess it's all in the execution.
    But I also think that is part of Jace's story, a young upstart taking on the mantel of Batman as opposition to the privileged Bruce Wayne, whose interest Jace feels align more with the rich and powerful rather than the people of Gotham.
    Sounds like they need a team-up for Jace to realize what Batman is actually about.

Terry McGinnis already proved that Batman doesn't need a previous identity to work as a hero. He can earn his stripes on the job. A new Batman, fresh off the chopping block, having to build new connections with the already existing Bat-Family in their prime is unique and interesting. Jace has a lot to work with. Frankly, I just don't think using an existing Bat-Family character has anywhere near as much potential. *Cough* Grant Morrison already gave us that take and it was just decent. *Cough*

Anyways, kill Jace off. Jace as in Jason Todd.
    Last edited by Superboy-Prime; 08-16-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Terry McGinnis already proved that Batman doesn't need a previous identity to work as a hero. He can earn his stripes on the job. A new Batman, fresh off the chopping block, having to build new connections with the already existing Bat-Family in their prime is unique and interesting. Jace has a lot to work with. Frankly, I just don't think using an existing Bat-Family character has anywhere near as much potential. *Cough* Grant Morrison already gave us that take and it was just decent. *Cough*

Anyways, kill Jace off. Jace as in Jason Todd.
    Terry was explicitly being mentored by Bruce and ultimately, it was revealed he was always meant to be Bruce's successor. So no, his situation is nothing alike to what they're pushing with Tim Fox.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    https://www.gamesradar.com/batman-qu...ws-of-the-bat/

Here's the correct link

Personally, I'm sick of the stories where Bruce stops being Batman/is otherwise absent from Gotham and other has to fill up his place. Seems like we have stories like that every other year.

One of the main reasons I gave up on Captain America is Steve Rogers is a guest star in his own solo title. Disappointing

Terry was explicitly being mentored by Bruce and ultimately, it was revealed he was always meant to be Bruce's successor. So no, his situation is nothing alike to what they're pushing with Tim Fox.
    You think Terry being Bruce's son is a good thing? Jeez. Also, Jace* Fox not being mentored by Bruce doesn't make a difference. I mean, that's actually cool, he's his own Batman. Bruce isn't waiting in the wings to give him his opinion.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    You think Terry being Bruce's son is a good thing? Jeez. Also, Jace* Fox not being mentored by Bruce doesn't make a difference. I mean, that's actually cool, he's his own Batman. Bruce isn't waiting in the wings to give him his opinion.
    Tim Fox is an imitator stepping into a role he isn't ready for and hasn't earned. And ultimately, the last thing Gotham needs is a Batman given the anti-vigilante sentiment they've been pushing as the city's status quo over the past months.

Tim Fox is an imitator stepping into a role he isn't ready for and hasn't earned. And ultimately, the last thing Gotham needs is a Batman given the anti-vigilante sentiment they've been pushing as the city's status quo over the past months.
    Honestly, calling him Tim Fox kinda erases the validity of your argument. Anybody following the character knows he goes by Jace.

And, still, same situation with Terry McGinnis in the comics. He's not Bruce's son in the Dan Jurgens run. Or Barry Allen.

Incredible Member

I think that DC is being very vague about Batman leaving Gotham. Maybe Batman won't operate in Gotham for a little while, but I think that Bruce will still be around in another capacity. How about working to get his fortune back ? That was Tynion's idea , but he's leaving . You think that DC management doesn't want Bruce to be a Billionaire . That would be like Marvel not wanting Tony Stark to be a Billionaire.

Blackstars looks more and more on point as a critique the further we go. As for Jace, the reason he’s taking the mantle is simple: Like Terry he can’t be anything other than Batman. He hasn’t “earned” it but that’s deliberate. If they built Jace up in another identity then he would inevitably get kicked back into that identity when Bruce returns, just like Dick did. But since Jace hasn’t been anything other than Batman, they either let him keep the mantle, or sideline him/kill him off which they won’t do for fear of Twitter backlash.

Jace has been fine so far, solid, but little more than a collection of potentially interesting ideas that have yet to really been delivered on. He’s only just starting though, so we’ll see what Ridley is bringing.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Blackstars looks more and more on point as a critique the further we go. As for Jace, the reason he’s taking the mantle is simple: Like Terry he can’t be anything other than Batman. He hasn’t “earned” it but that’s deliberate. If they built Jace up in another identity then he would inevitably get kicked back into that identity when Bruce returns, just like Dick did. But since Jace hasn’t been anything other than Batman, they either let him keep the mantle, or sideline him/kill him off which they won’t do for fear of Twitter backlash.

Jace has been fine so far, solid, but little more than a collection of potentially interesting ideas that have yet to really been delivered on. He’s only just starting though, so we’ll see what Ridley is bringing.
    Ridley's writing has been pretty great so far IMO.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

I guess this is a critique to all the personal attacks on Batmna that end up driving a lot of the Gotham attacks...I mean, Bane, Joker, Hurt, were all deliberately going directly after Bruce.

Although I don't think he's been replaced that much. Even Gordon was basically the equivalent of a publishing blip.

"Batman won't ask for help" is as common as "Batman ends up asking for help."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Batman won't ask for help" is as common as "Batman ends up asking for help."
    Very very true statement
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Alright so it sounds like Detective Comics is going to focus in on the extensive Batfamily, and this story event is about them dealing with basically a new Arkham that is once again overrun by inmates....if I sounded jaded there it’s because we’ve seen this before, same idea different building. But hey I love the Batfamily so seeing them get to do this is worth it in my book.

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/09/15/dc...ective-comics/
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Alright so it sounds like Detective Comics is going to focus in on the extensive Batfamily, and this story event is about them dealing with basically a new Arkham that is once again overrun by inmates....if I sounded jaded there it’s because we’ve seen this before, same idea different building. But hey I love the Batfamily so seeing them get to do this is worth it in my book.

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/09/15/dc...ective-comics/
    I'll check it out. I tend to enjoy Detective more than the mainline Batman book, so I'm hopeful.