Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Will they deal with his "Charaxes" period, or just ignore that?

from Batman Villains Secret Files (1998)
    I think we're all happy to leave that in the past. There has been, like, 4 reboots since then. Lol.

It sounds tempting, but I hated Danny DeVito as the Penguin.

Waaaaaaaaay too over the top for my tastes.
    Strangely (and almost certainly because of DeVito and Burgess) Penguin is the one villain I prefer to be ridiculously over the top and camp.

I'm sure Colin Farrell will do a good job but it'll be interesting to see if his Penguin is distinguishable from, say, a Carmine Falcone character other than having an enlarged nose. Not that it's a problem, I'd rather Oswald than Carmine, but I'm all about the umbrella weapons and that's hard to do straight.
    Last edited by exile001; 10-29-2021 at 01:57 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    . . . Strangely (and almost certainly because of DeVito and Burgess) Penguin is the one villain I prefer to be ridiculously over the top and camp. . .
    I liked the Burgess Meredith version of the Penguin. But at least he had style, where DeVito's interpretation was too much from the gutter and lacked the class Burgess Meredith brought to the character.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Strangely (and almost certainly because of DeVito and Burgess) Penguin is the one villain I prefer to be ridiculously over the top and camp.

I'm sure Colin Farrell will do a good job but it'll be interesting to see if his Penguin is distinguishable from, say, a Carmine Falcone character other than having an enlarged nose. Not that it's a problem, I'd rather Oswald than Carmine, but I'm all about the umbrella weapons and that's hard to do straight.
    Ironically Farrell seems to be channeling DeVito vocally, it sounds like to me.

I believe this is still due out a week from tomorrow.

Extraordinary Member

I believe this is still due out a week from tomorrow.
    Yep, out this week though there was no preview for it.

Astonishing Member

There's some cool stuff to be had in this.

Danny's Penguin story is out there in a way that's ... well I mean, it's memorable and bonkers, if not exactly game-changing or earth-shattering. Mora's art satisfies even in the weirdness. It might not particularly go ... anywhere? ... but his dialogue ain't bad.

There's some Al Ghul business that sets up ongoing Williamson developments.

There's a Scarecrow story that ... dear god even more firmly plants Nightwing in the position of DC's 1:1 Daredevil analogue.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Loved Wilson, PKJ, Watters, and Shammas stories. Looks like the next event for the Batfamily will be Shadow War.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

EW has a an interview with DeVito about his PENGUIN story.

https://ew.com/books/danny-devito-ex...-batman-comic/

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    There's some cool stuff to be had in this.

Danny's Penguin story is out there in a way that's ... well I mean, it's memorable and bonkers, if not exactly game-changing or earth-shattering. Mora's art satisfies even in the weirdness. It might not particularly go ... anywhere? ... but his dialogue ain't bad.

There's some Al Ghul business that sets up ongoing Williamson developments.

There's a Scarecrow story that ... dear god even more firmly plants Nightwing in the position of DC's 1:1 Daredevil analogue.
    Let me guess. They reestablished him as the boy without fear. That's a thing of his that shows up every once in a while, and not that consistent, but it is a thing sometimes, I just don't know when it started. The last time it's used was in the first arc of Ric Grayson I think, with Scarecrow claiming he's obsessed with Dick because he wasn't able to scare him and that he scared him instead.

Maybe they use it ever since they made Scarecrow Dick's first supervillain in some continuities.

So it looks like PJK is trying to build up his own big Batman story?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So it looks like PJK is trying to build up his own big Batman story?
    No that was his prequel to the Batman/Superman & the Authority one shot he did. That evil Batman we saw at the end who took over Ra’s empire was the Dark Multiverse Batman we saw in the one shot.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Well yeah, but now thats two stories about that world. Authority special could have been one and done, but now it feels to me like there will be more.

Well yeah, but now thats two stories about that world. Authority special could have been one and done, but now it feels to me like there will be more.
    Oh I’m sure he has a Batman story he wants to tell some day, every writer at DC does lol

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Could be something he’s planning to revisit again later.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh I’m sure he has a Batman story he wants to tell some day, every writer at DC does lol
    Actually kind of funny to find a writer who doesn't like Batman .