Default Some characters revert to youth or don't age - which are good or bad?

We've talked about ageups, now let's talk about those that get reverted to young over and over or are never allowed to age.

Now, I'm not talking about the general de-agings that affect everyone all at the same time. I'm more about Supergirl - she has various versions, but never seems to get as old as she should, and is reverted to teenhood on many reboots/new iterations. Gar and Raven have been deaged to team up with subsequent Robins (older again, now, though). Jimmy Olsen should be much older than he's frequently depicted - often it seems they won't let him get to "full fledged" adult state of not being "the kid" of the office, respected professional at work, etc. Billy Batson, of course, has been reverted to baseline age a few times, too. I get why with him - the kid-to-adult transformation is a significant part of his mythos.

Anyway, which ones work for you and which ones don't?

They're all good, and it should be that way honestly that every character is deaged back and don't age going forward. I don't see the need to try and age everyone up all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    We've talked about ageups, now let's talk about those that get reverted to young over and over or are never allowed to age.

Now, I'm not talking about the general de-agings that affect everyone all at the same time. I'm more about Supergirl - she has various versions, but never seems to get as old as she should, and is reverted to teenhood on many reboots/new iterations. Gar and Raven have been deaged to team up with subsequent Robins (older again, now, though). Jimmy Olsen should be much older than he's frequently depicted - often it seems they won't let him get to "full fledged" adult state of not being "the kid" of the office, respected professional at work, etc. Billy Batson, of course, has been reverted to baseline age a few times, too. I get why with him - the kid-to-adult transformation is a significant part of his mythos.

Anyway, which ones work for you and which ones don't?
    I agree about Raven. The girl should be in her 20's and they make her be 16, sometimes younger.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I think keeping Gar and Raven as teens stagnated the characters, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I think keeping Gar and Raven as teens stagnated the characters, imo.
    I very much agree. I don't read the version of Teen Titans with them on Tim's team (that's not the only reason - I don't like the complete remaking of some YJ characters, either). Them on Damian's team was too brain-breaking for me to even try. I just don't really get why they made that decision with them, unlike Billy Batson or Kara or even Jimmy Olsen. Raven was already originally college-aged when introduced for NTT, so didn't even have a history of being younger than those around her.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Billy Batson and the family are the only ones I get why.
    Though technically he's still within a reasonable limit if he ages. Pre Crisis he's on a different Earth. Post Crisis he grew from 10 years old to about 15 in relation to Tim Drake's age. He starts New 52 at 15, but because of the way time worked and meddled during New 52 and Rebirth, while Damian aged 4 years, he and Tim are probably only 17 tops.
    I'm just curious how long they can do this, and what other type of time tampering they can use