Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Sinister War 3

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    Substack is basically following the patreon model. You subscribe to a creator, and with that subscription it gets you the titles that come with it. Creator owned opposed to the big two's method.

Hickman just set up camp there with Al Ewing and Tini Howard, he's not leaving Marvel, just picking up a new extended universe to dabble in.
    There is one indirect benefit for ASM readers with Substack. Due to the economics involved, Writers will not be staying as long so their stories will more likely be short and sweet ( like Ditko, Stern and Zdarsky ( PPSSM)). It seems like the writers who remain too long are the ones with problems ( Slott a decade on ASM ( and we know what happened) and Spencer 3 years and stretching out Kindred are obvious examples). JMS is another one who stayed too long ( he should have gotten rid of Sins Past then quit. Why? His legacy not be saddled with Sins Past and OMD). Why is this? My opinion is how many new stories can be told involving Peter without sending him to outer space ( both literally and figuratively)? Maybe we can get some writers who bring something new and different to the table without making Peter a character we no longer know?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    oh but is he leaving xmen then could have swore thats what cbr been reporting this week unless they mean he wont be writing any more x men stories for a little bit
    He left X-Men awhile ago, Gerry Duggan is writing it now, at the moment he's just writing the upcoming Inferno event, but he's still the head honcho of the entire X line of stories and whatnot.

Given his track record of the overarching stories and whatnot I doubt he'd leave till the era wraps. Also I think Spencer and Hickman are at different positions at Substack, with Spencer having a partnership, and Hickma. Just being hired to write a comic series.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    The only thing that has made this run interesting or noteworthy is the promise of revising "One More Day" and Kindred is not a character but a vehicle to get us to that point.
    Agreed with this fullstop. Spider-Man has gone to the mystery antagonist well a bit too often now, but Kindred seemed to be as bare bones as possible with how he was almost completely reliant on his ominous narration and vague threats. He always felt much more like a device than a character in his own right, and he's still feeling pretty tired even after the reveal - like it just provided the barest scraps of characterization he'd need. Everyone by large is still concerned if OMD gets undone, as opposed to Kindred himself - what is he after, what happens to him, etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Agreed with this fullstop. Spider-Man has gone to the mystery antagonist well a bit too often now, but Kindred seemed to be as bare bones as possible with how he was almost completely reliant on his ominous narration and vague threats. He always felt much more like a device than a character in his own right, and he's still feeling pretty tired even after the reveal - like it just provided the barest scraps of characterization he'd need. Everyone by large is still concerned if OMD gets undone, as opposed to Kindred himself - what is he after, what happens to him, etc.
    You know how “Mary Sue” is a term for a generic character free of weakness, but also personality? There really needs to be a term for characters (usually antagonists) like Kindred who are solely defined by being ominous and mysterious, and who lurk in the shadows for multiple story arcs but never really advance the plot. There’s too many of them in comics and it’s an artificial way to make the stakes seem greater than they are. When I was a kid reading the 90s Clone Saga, this role was filled by “Scrier” and we know how well that mystery turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    You know how “Mary Sue” is a term for a generic character free of weakness, but also personality? There really needs to be a term for characters (usually antagonists) like Kindred who are solely defined by being ominous and mysterious, and who lurk in the shadows for multiple story arcs but never really advance the plot. There’s too many of them in comics and it’s an artificial way to make the stakes seem greater than they are. When I was a kid reading the 90s Clone Saga, this role was filled by “Scrier” and we know how well that mystery turned out.
    im sure tv tropes have something
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

non-action big bad seems to fit him
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    non-action big bad seems to fit him
    Hmmn… I think Chessmaster fits better.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...TheChessmaster

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Hmmn… I think Chessmaster fits better.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...TheChessmaster
    He tries to be that, true enough, but considering how his approach and presence have totally worn thin for a lot of people here . . . it's kind of a hard sell.
    The spider is always on the hunt.