Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    The latest death of The Sentry in King in Black made absolutely no sense to me. That still smarts.
    The concept of Knull was total bullsh-, er, I mean balderdash to begin with, so any downstream occurrences, implications and consequences are suspect in my opinion.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I tend to agree with this.

In a situation where they are clearly outmatched in a one on one confrontation, I would prefer it if a hero either takes the loss, flees, or seeks help. There's no shame in showing that your favorite character has reasonable limitations. If Peter loses that battle and limps away with 3rd degree burns, broken bones, partial blindness and radiation poisoning, no one would fault him for being defeated. Peter has more powerful friends in the superhero community that would have definitely tracked down Firelord and made him regret his very existence.

But no, the writer's mind was made up that Peter was going to win that battle in a ridiculously far-fetched manner no matter what. When that happens, no one wins. Not the protagonist, not the antagonist, and definitely not the reader. It just turns into PIS and bad precedent.

But this sort of thing happens all of the time in comics.
    Peter is smart, like he has held his own with Reed, Tony and Beast smart.Have him use science, figure out a plan to by some time, get in a lab.Science and done.

Yeah, it happens way too much

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    OMG! No matter what, this will always be my favorite period in Spidey history!

DD himself says he can't beat Spidey and it's not even close.This is the same level as Firelord vs Spidey but Peter is Firelord here.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    NOT me! All for it!

Powerful!
    Impactful!
    Sensational!
    Ngl stupid as it was seeing the scan puts a wide smile on my face every single time.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Peter is smart, like he has held his own with Reed, Tony and Beast smart.Have him use science, figure out a plan to by some time, get in a lab.Science and done.

Yeah, it happens way too much
    But that's just using science as a deus ex. I hate it when Reed does it, and I wouldn't be much in favor of Peter doing it. Sometimes when a superior hostile enemy is in your face, you stay and take the butt-kicking, or run and hope that he isn't the type that can fly at hyperlight speeds or destroy you with a wide area effect nuclear explosion.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    I think a physical defeat is better when complimented by a mental/psychological defeat. Born Again is a good example for Daredevil. Kingpin destroys Matt's life before actually beating him in a physical fight.
    I think Nocenti's end to the Typhoid Mary arc where Daredevil battles a gauntlet of villains works really well as well.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?