Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Old Wizard Magazine Casting Speculation

I came across these old Wizard Magazine articles where in two of them the staff fan cast the X-Men and in the final article, the magazine discusses casting rumors for the then unproduced first X-Men film.

Wizard Staff Fan Cast

Last edited by Peanutsinspace; 08-14-2021 at 07:22 PM.

Wizard Ultimate X-Men TRL Edition Fan Cast

X-Men movie Casting Rumors

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I had that Mag and bought it hot off the stands and I remember most of those. They got Cumming and Stewart. I no longer have the mag though, sadly. I had a bunch of them.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 08-14-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

It's funny looking back and noticing how optimistic these magazine writers had been about who would "surely" get picked as central characters for movie adaptions, because they seemingly couldn't fathom that the movie writers wouldn't take the at the times current books as basis for what they would use.

Granted the first (ongoing) cartoon which did exactly that, might have been on their minds.

Still two decades later and we have learned that the movie writers will pick who ever they find interesting (or the studio marketable) for the story they modified from the comics, regardless of how it was set up in said comics.

Simply because they don't have the same "hirarchy" in their minds that the readers have.

Btw. I faintly recall an interview with Chris Claremont in which he mentioned who in the 80's he would have picked to play the X-men. The only choice that stuck in my memory was that (unless i even recall that one wrong) he would have picked a young Bob Hoskins for Wolverine, which made sense when we look at it from the perspective of, who could play a shorter broadly build man, who is gruff, short tempered, but also has wisdom and a kind heart?

I still have the first one, in the attic of my parent's house. Great magazine.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Patrick Stewart was just so obvious a choice for Xavier I don't think anyone could have seriously suggested an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutsinspace View Post
    I came across these old Wizard Magazine articles where in two of them the staff fan cast the X-Men and in the final article, the magazine discusses casting rumors for the then unproduced first X-Men film.

Wizard Staff Fan Cast

Good cast, and Patrick was the only option lol, now I know it was other times, but Juggy WTF ... that option is more Bolb than Juggy lol.

Iman and Angela Bassett are definitely right on target for who should be Storm. I hope Feige aims in this direction. I think finding a new ingénue from eastern Africa(Kenya, Tanzania, South Sudan, Ethiopia, etc.) would be the homerun move at this point. Fresh face to the screen, who the audience can experience purely as Ororo, like how Hugh was Logan, not{insert known Hollywood actor} playing Logan. I hope they play the long game with the main X-Men and start them off as college aged(about Tom Holland's age) so they can tell many stories in film and D+ series. The MCU could easily get decades of material from this franchise; the mutant IP is deep, and truly the Fox films barely scratched the surface. I'd say only Magneto got a somewhat thorough extraction(but the mutant messiah and statesman aspects remain on the table, along with the flashier electromagnetic powers wielded by a scientific genius mind), and Storm in particular has so much visual and story potential completely untapped. Anyways, the MCU X-Men can't come soon enough. I hope Feige knocks it outta the park with them.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 08-15-2021 at 09:57 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Rutger Hauer would have been an exceptional Magneto. The Foxmen Magnetos were very British ultimately, more European feels more correct. A German/Polish/Dutch actor might help distinguish the MCU's Magneto.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutsinspace View Post
    Wizard Ultimate X-Men TRL Edition Fan Cast

X-Men movie Casting Rumors

Yooo that first picture LMAO. They literally just grab a TRL intern and be like cast this? Moby as Professor X. I’m so dead right now lol. That got me good

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Patrick Stewart was just so obvious a choice for Xavier I don't think anyone could have seriously suggested an alternative.
    Absolutely and if I remember reading correctly, he was also the first cast member locked in. I think some of these others would have worked - Iman or Angela Bassett as Storm, and if they'd gone the older Emma look RdM and maybe Stamp as Magneto, but otherwise it's mostly laughable. Nicole Kidman, despite being one of my favorite actresses, as Jean Grey? Just no.

I'll never understand why Storm fans have so much Hate for Halle, WTF Halle is one of the most beautiful women on the planet.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    I'll never understand why Storm fans have so much Hate for Halle, WTF Halle is one of the most beautiful women on the planet.
    It's the acting part, not the looks one.

Halle Berry is indeed beautiful. However, her beauty doesn't accurately capture the regal beauty and majesty of Storm. Angela Bassett would have been a much better choice. Halle Berry's presence is not a Storm presence.
    Mutant and Proud!

Halle Berry is beauty pageant pretty, Storm should have more of a high fashion edge to her look imo. She also should not be played by a biracial actress.