Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    It's the acting part, not the looks one.
    Halle is an Oscar winner and is a very good actress. Iman for example is a simple model, and I see that Storm fans idolize her while destroying Halle.

So I don't think it's just her performance, if they allege the bad script I might believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    Halle Berry is indeed beautiful. However, her beauty doesn't accurately capture the regal beauty and majesty of Storm. Angela Bassett would have been a much better choice. Halle Berry's presence is not a Storm presence.
    Beauty is relative, but objectively Halle is much more beautiful than Angela, who even as a young man did not make me pretty, and most people in the world would agree that Halle is much more beautiful, in fact even with age. that Halle has is still considered one of the most beautiful women in holywood.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Halle Berry is beauty pageant pretty, Storm should have more of a high fashion edge to her look imo. She also should not be played by a biracial actress.
    WTF... That's a bit racist, so Halle isn't "worthy" to play Storm because she's biracial? WTF... beginning Mrs Storm was the past considered as a set of features of various races ( HELLO CLAREMONT ), she have blue eyes and do not have the ethnic hair that they should have, so I do not see where the sin is that a biracial woman like Halle will play her. Halle first is an actress, her origin in real life shouldn't matter, she could play an extraterrestrial woman if it were the case, she is an actress.

In fact I see that this is the main problem that most Storm fans have with Halle, her ethnic origin, the same applies to Alexandra Shipp.

When there are actors who gave less for the role, for example Hugh playing Wolverine, when Wolverine to be a man is a dwarf in canon.

Ororo should be tall, regal, and African, like Iman. Ororo should be a forceful personality with sharp cheekbones like Angela. Feige would do well to use them as inspiration in casting the next Storm.

The Foxmen films missed the mark both in terms of casting and story/script with their Storms(and Rogue for that matter). We can do much better.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 08-16-2021 at 07:52 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

Rutger Hauer would have made an awesome magneto.That was a great call I have to admit.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Ororo should be tall, regal, and African, like Iman. Ororo should be a forceful personality with sharp cheekbones like Angela. Feige would do well to use them as inspiration in casting the next Storm.

The Foxmen films missed the mark both in terms of casting and story/script with their Storms(and Rogue for that matter). We can do much better.
    Here here to this day I don't know how or why Anna Paquin was cast , she did not cut it as Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Here here to this day I don't know how or why Anna Paquin was cast , she did not cut it as Rogue.
    They wrote a completely different character who had Rogue's powers and accent, but little else in common with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    Beauty is relative, but objectively Halle is much more beautiful than Angela, who even as a young man did not make me pretty, and most people in the world would agree that Halle is much more beautiful, in fact even with age. that Halle has is still considered one of the most beautiful women in holywood.
    Angela Bassett's look and presence is much more in line with Storm than Halle Berry's. And you can't say Halle is more beautiful objectively. That supposes a standard of beauty and beauty is subjective.
    Mutant and Proud!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    They wrote a completely different character who had Rogue's powers and accent, but little else in common with her.
    Isn't that the case for a lot of characters in those movie adaptions?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    WTF... That's a bit racist, so Halle isn't "worthy" to play Storm because she's biracial? WTF... beginning Mrs Storm was the past considered as a set of features of various races ( HELLO CLAREMONT ), she have blue eyes and do not have the ethnic hair that they should have, so I do not see where the sin is that a biracial woman like Halle will play her. Halle first is an actress, her origin in real life shouldn't matter, she could play an extraterrestrial woman if it were the case, she is an actress.

In fact I see that this is the main problem that most Storm fans have with Halle, her ethnic origin, the same applies to Alexandra Shipp.

When there are actors who gave less for the role, for example Hugh playing Wolverine, when Wolverine to be a man is a dwarf in canon.
    Racism is not accurate. Dark skin women have often had issue with light skinned women because they always felt dark skinned black women were ignored in favor of light skinned mixed women who have more European facial features. Whereas dark skinned women were often displayed less beautiful

In addition people had issue with Hallie’s African accent coming and going randomly as well as her wig not really showing off the “regalness” they wanted

I think the issue with regalness and why in certain comics they try to give her short hair or Mohawk is it’s hard to make wigs or find women of color with the hair they want without them being biracial.

I think if they want to cast now they will probably go for dreads or something if they want to do long hair or go for the short hair look. Or people just have to accept a biracial actress to be Storm

It’s a hard thing to talk about simply because the origin and the art at the beginning were about pleasing different demographics

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Having enjoyed her in True Blood as a sassy, Southern belle with weird powers, I think she actually could have worked if the direction and script better served Rogue, but what we did get on screen was a big miss. Ororo, Rogue, and Scott were the most egregious misses, but that's not saying much considering how much missed the mark in those films. I can't wait to see a fresh take. One more time, with feeling...
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Always loved the Wizard fan casts, even though they were sometimes INSANE.

After many years of trying to perfectly fan-cast, I'm going to just enjoy the ride for the MCU version. The endless debates of Halle's looks/height/skin color... yeesh. For me, it was more the portrayal. The role was neither written well, styled well, nor well-acted and the blame lies with everyone. (With Halle, the least they could have done was make her look STUNNING, but for some godforsaken reason they went for BLAND.) I don't think any of the characters were very accurate (except Stewart/Xavier), but the ones we loved just had better roles. Hugh Jackman's Wolverine was arguably never very much like the comics version, but his story was always well told so we didn't care.

I'm ready for the MCU X-Men to tell good stories, even if it means not picking all the fan favorites and not going with the O5 or whatever. I don't think anyone wants to see another dragged out Xavier/Magneto soap opera, so I already think we're going to see a re-imagining.

LOL John Leguizamo as Nightcrawler is a terrible idea. I love the guy, don't get me wrong, but nah.

I always thought Angie Everhart would be a good Jean Grey, but... that was looks-wise, not acting-wise.

I only learned of some of my favorite casting trivia years after the movie, but that Chris Potter (who played Gambit in TAS) was asked to audition for Cyclops, and David Hemblen, voice of Magneto, was on the shortlist to actually reprise his role (though Sir Ian was the clear favorite already by that point). Both Potter and Hemblen were established screen actors in Canada with X-Men being a side gig, but Fox arranged for some of the voice cast to meet the live-action cast once the roles were set.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Patrick Stewart was just so obvious a choice for Xavier I don't think anyone could have seriously suggested an alternative.
    Actually, Ben Kingsley was considered too. Patrick Stewart in hindsight I think is a bit too sweet but Kinglsey could have brought a more cerebral aspect. Still PS's version isn't bad.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    Halle Berry is indeed beautiful. However, her beauty doesn't accurately capture the regal beauty and majesty of Storm. Angela Bassett would have been a much better choice. Halle Berry's presence is not a Storm presence.
    Exactly. I have nothing against her as an actor, but I feel she was miscast.

Rutger Hauer and Rebecca De Mornay were the actors I pictured playing Magneto and Emma when I was a kid.
    Last edited by Papa Moai; 08-19-2021 at 11:19 AM.