Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Having enjoyed her in True Blood as a sassy, Southern belle with weird powers, I think she actually could have worked if the direction and script better served Rogue, but what we did get on screen was a big miss. Ororo, Rogue, and Scott were the most egregious misses, but that's not saying much considering how much missed the mark in those films. I can't wait to see a fresh take. One more time, with feeling...
    I think Rogue was perfectly introduced in X1 as one of the main characters of the story. She grew as a person in X2 and has been utterly destroyed in x3. But I think the development would have been great if X3 would have let her arrive at a new "sassy" empowered version of herself giving her moments enjoying her powers instead of letting her succumb to her self-hatred being a mutant and retroactively destroying the character in the entire trilogy.

After seeing the new Eternals trailer (which absolutely blew me away), I cannot wait to see Marvel's take on the X-Men. although I still have the feeling Eternals makes it difficult to introduce the X-Men as their own unique I.P. No idea how Marvel can make the X-Men exciting again. Icarus seems to be the better Cyclops.

X-Men 2, Days of Future Past, and Logan just are so perfect as X-Men movies that I have no idea how Marvel can really top that and capture the essence of the X-Men without feeling redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    After seeing the new Eternals trailer (which absolutely blew me away), I cannot wait to see Marvel's take on the X-Men. although I still have the feeling Eternals makes it difficult to introduce the X-Men as their own unique I.P. No idea how Marvel can make the X-Men exciting again. Icarus seems to be the better Cyclops.

X-Men 2, Days of Future Past, and Logan just are so perfect as X-Men movies that I have no idea how Marvel can really top that and capture the essence of the X-Men without feeling redundant.
    I was thinking the SAME THING when I saw the trailer. I’m glad we’re getting a breather but the MCU is gonna be crowded by the time we get the Kerry mutants.

Honestly all the MCU has to do is properly utilize some of the X-women and allow characters outside of Logan, Charles, and Erik to have arcs.

I think Rogue was perfectly introduced in X1 as one of the main characters of the story. She grew as a person in X2 and has been utterly destroyed in x3. But I think the development would have been great if X3 would have let her arrive at a new "sassy" empowered version of herself giving her moments enjoying her powers instead of letting her succumb to her self-hatred being a mutant and retroactively destroying the character in the entire trilogy.

Absolutely not, Rogue was not well presented at all, she has neither the personality nor the sexy appearance, but the personality was the worst, the second thing (the physical beauty) could be overlooked Paquin is a great actress herself complained many times that whiny personality wasn't Rogue's.

Also one of the things that makes Rogue so popular is her cheeky and flirty personality, that she is a badass but sexy girl, and most importantly she had a redemption journey from villain to one of the greatest heroines, none of those things We had it from Fox, I understand it was not Paquin's fault, she complained many times about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    Absolutely not, Rogue was not well presented at all, she has neither the personality nor the sexy appearance, but the personality was the worst, the second thing (the physical beauty) could be overlooked Paquin is a great actress herself complained many times that whiny personality wasn't Rogue's.

Also one of the things that makes Rogue so popular is her cheeky and flirty personality, that she is a badass but sexy girl, and most importantly she had a redemption journey from villain to one of the greatest heroines, none of those things We had it from Fox, I understand it was not Paquin's fault, she complained many times about this.
    there was nothing particular "sexy" about Rogue when she was first introduced. She received her cheekiness way later than her introduction. And like I said, for me that is something that should have been developed more and more in X3. She was a traumatized mutant coming into her own (before she got character assassinated in X3). For me that is more interesting than sexy bombshell...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I was thinking the SAME THING when I saw the trailer. I’m glad we’re getting a breather but the MCU is gonna be crowded by the time we get the Kerry mutants.

Honestly all the MCU has to do is properly utilize some of the X-women and allow characters outside of Logan, Charles, and Erik to have arcs.
    I agree. Just let Storm, Jean, Rogue, and others be the absolute center of the story. I also hope we see the X-Men as a family unite and some utterly fantastic teamwork between a smaller group of mutants. Honestly at this point, I think they should go with house of x and show how Xavier is gathering mutants around the world and bringing them not to a school in the U.S. but to an island called Krakoa where they start their own society.

I disagree. I don't think any of these movies actually are as good as some suggest(and ultimately the box office numbers agree with me). I think at their core the X-Men excel as 'found family' populated with rich, complex characters, and none of the Foxmen films were able to actually deliver that. The MCU's serialized storytelling over many films[and now series] will be the key to the next iteration of live action X-Men. That's where that Claremont continuity will come in handy.

Wolverine was so focal to the Fox franchise that he will be the trickiest to make 'fresh', but the actual team and their relationships/backstories were so understated that they are virtually untouched. I think if the MCU follows the Claremont template more faithfully, they still have an embarrassment of riches left to mine. Wolverine can't be the central lead, but he really shouldn't have been anyways[he can have his own D+ series if you really want to focus on him, and there's even more to mine with him, such as Madripoor/Omega Red/his connection with existing MCU characters etc, but in the team projects, just keep him as the wild one; let Cyke and Storm be the central leads].
    Last edited by yogaflame; 08-19-2021 at 08:02 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I’m somewhere between you and yogaflame on this. Loved, loved, loved all three of those films. Some of my favorite CBMs of all time honestly (throw in the Dark Knight Trilogy, the two Deadpool films, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Infinity War + Endgame and you’ve got all my faves; but those three X-men films are at the top honestly).

Having said that, I feel confident that Feige and the MCU will find a way to make it different enough from both FOX-men as well as other MCU stuff that’s come before in terms of feel and tone that it will be great. And, yoga, there was some “found family” elements in the FOX-men films, to be fair. Sure, it was fleeting and all too often centered around Wolverine as the focus (his relationships with Rogue, Storm, Jean, Professor X and ultimately Laura), but it was there. The MCU just needs to expand on that and better utilize the other characters IMO. In fact, I kind of love the idea of starting out with Logan as a villain, except that might feel too similar to Winter Soldier honestly. So maybe just more of an asshole-ish anti-hero like he was initially. Rather than a warm, cuddly Hugh Jackman type who can be brutal at times (see Logan or the berserker rage scene in X2) but ultimately is a classic hero that you root for. Make him the ‘ol “shorty psycho” from the X-men books of the 80s.

If they go that route, and use Logan sparingly in the X-men films (perhaps giving him his own films or a Disney+ series where he can be explored not at the detriment to the rest of the X-characters), it should be different right off the bat IMO. I also don’t hate the idea of deviating from canon and bringing Laura in early on to replace Logan as the X-men’s Wolverine like she is right now in the comics, whereas he’s off running on his own and perhaps even heading up X-Force alongside Domino, Cable and Deadpool. Making him more of a seasoned veteran who does the X-men’s dirty work so no one else has to, while Laura is the more superheroic Wolverine running around publicly with the X-men, could also be a solid deviation. Just my $.02.

I will, under no circumstances, accept X-23 as a Logan replacement in the main team. I don't like her in the comics, and she's already been done onscreen, so it's not like she is even a novelty at this point. She should have stayed a random one-off in that stupid Canadian cartoon. Feige, stay focused on the good stuff.

I know you won’t. You’re what I’d call a purist. Not an insult, by the way. It’s just how you want your MCU X-men.

But as a long time Wolverine fan who can accept deviations from the status quo as Marvel Studios tries to distill and deliver almost 60 years worth of X-men canon in another medium, I actually would be okay with it provided it meant Logan could be explored more off on his own and taken along a darker more interesting path. Again, just personal preference on my part.

If Marvel wants to lean into darker, solo Logan(which I doubt), so be it, but in that case let John Proudstar take the "Wolvie" spot on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    If Marvel wants to lean into darker, solo Logan(which I doubt), so be it, but in that case let John Proudstar take the "Wolvie" spot on the team.
    or they can make Wolverine First Nation or Inuit.

BANNED

or they can make Wolverine First Nation or Inuit.
    Logan is presented as the son of wealthy aristocratic landowners in 19th Century Alberta. If the fortune was John Howlett's, that means Howlett must be of white English or French extraction because that's who the land-owning aristocracy in 19th Century Canada was. Native Americans were SEVERELY discriminated against in Canada (as bad if not worse than in the US. "Genocide" would not be an inaccurate description of what was happening then) and would not have had access to that sort of wealth or land because the government literally wouldn't allow it. Elizabeth must also be of white English or French extraction, as well; both once again because that's who the land-owning aristocracy was and if she was an heiress whom Howlett married to gain his fortune then her parents had to be as well, and because interracial marriage at the time was OUTRIGHT ILLEGAL.

Now, Logan's real father isn't John Howlett, but Thomas Logan from an affair with Elizabeth. POTENTIALLY, Thomas Logan could have been a Native or of partial Native descent. But young James Howlett would STILL have to be "white enough" for Elizabeth to pass him off as John Howlett's son.

So to make Logan a Native means you'd have to pretty much rewrite his entire background. Now remember how people have been constantly attacking the Fox films for even minor changes to character backgrounds.

Yeah, I’m on team use John Proudstar rather than race-bend a major character and change his identity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Yeah, I’m on team use John Proudstar rather than race-bend a major character and change his identity.
    There's ways that it CAN work without substantially disrupting the character's backstory — like how they made X-23 Latina in Logan, since it still works with how she came to be in the books — but changing Logan in this manner isn't going to be a small one because of the context.

It's like arguing that Magneto should be changed to use a more contemporary genocide. The experience is so radically different that you can't just substitute one genocide for another without altering the character.

Agreed. 100%.