Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Comic books are an artform, just like movies, novels, plays.
    This was in error. I should have said any kind of video (meditation, work-out, music video, animation, documentary, series, et al); any kind of literature in written words (poetry, short story, philosophy, science texts, thesis, et al); any kind of live performance (ballet; opera; rock concert, juggling act, magic act, speech, et al).

Comics aren't limited to telling just stories. They can show how to build a bed; they can show where to go on your travels in a foreign country; they can teach a foreign language; they can be poetic artistic pieces; they can be documentary (THE 9/11 REPORT) or docu-drama (FROM HELL); they can be storyboards; they can be biography (KISS, PAT BOONE). There's almost no limit to how you can use the comic language to communicate concepts--other than it being entirely visual (but maybe tactile comics exist or auditory comics or scratch and sniff comics).

Read Scott McCloud--UNDERSTANDING COMICS and REINVENTING COMICS. He makes some assumptions that I don't agree with, but he indicates that comics can be used in new ways. A lot of what we find on the internet and our devices derives from the comics language. It's so prevalent that we no longer think of it as comics, but that's where it comes from. People who say they don't like comics are consuming comics every day--they just don't know it.

Age shouldn't be a determining factor in how you spend your time.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazzyRazzy View Post
    So I've turned 24 and after that point, I've become hooked on both Marvel and DC.

But I've met people who dismiss comics and the Marvel movies as "dumb childish nonsense"

Had a ex-girlfriend tell me that comics are for children & that I should stop buying them. She said it to me once.

I don't feel a need to explain this particular hobby to anybody that reacts negatively to it. Not my place to evangelize or convince others of the legitimacy my activities. Truly DGAF.

Comics are associated with children simply cause childhood is when pretty much all of us have read some i think. So, yeah, i can see from where this cliché comes from and honestly? It doesn't bother in the slighest.

If a person thinks like that it obviously means that he or she hasn't any interest in the subject and hasn't read much comics, if any, since their own childhood. And it's cool. I don't give a **** about baseball for example but lot of people are crazy about it. Bet i have some pretty silly ideas about baseball myself but as long as i don't go and try to piss off baseball fans, no arm eh? And as long as people don't bother me about my comic book reading habit, no problem, they can think whatever they want about it.

Which leads me back to the OP's question. And my point of view on the subject is that, no, comic books aren't for everyone. Expecially not super heros comic books who can be pretty damn silly. (in a fun way most of the time, but here you go)

And you will always have people who simply don't like the format.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazzyRazzy View Post
    So I've turned 24 and after that point, I've become hooked on both Marvel and DC.

But I've met people who dismiss comics and the Marvel movies as "dumb childish nonsense"

I disagree with that statement, but I'm wondering if anyone agrees with me that comics can be enjoyed by anyone way into adulthood

I sometimes worry I'm to old for comics, so I'm curious how people here cope and feel about it.
    I actually started reading comics in my early 20's as well. I'm 50 now. I'm a big Marvel guy, and I love it as a hobby.

Retired

It might be a cliché now, but "back in my day," it was a fact that the majority of mainstream comic books were read by little kids. That was the mass market. When the comic industry lost the kids, it lost its main source of revenue and had to go looking for another market to suck dry.

Most clichés have a reason for existing in the first place and in the past it was assumed that when you were a child you read comic books and when you became older you put away childish things. At ten years old, I was already feeling the pressure from my parents and my peers to grow up and stop reading those things. I realized I was on the clock and I'd better give up comic books or else become a social pariah and a disappointment to my parents.

And I did cut back for a couple of years--only sneaking in a comic when no one was looking, staying up late at night strung out on RICHIE RICH and SUGAR AND SPIKE--but ultimately the lure of that magic dragon was too great to ignore and I was hitting the hard stuff every week--PLOP! SHAZAM! PEP! THE SPIRIT! RIMA! TARZAN! KAMANDI! SWAMP THING--I couldn't quit it. I was snorting printer's ink and popping thought balloons, my eyes blood-shot from too much Kirby Krackle and Zip-a-tone.

I also kind of take offense to the notion that anything associated with children is negative or unintelligent.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I also kind of take offense to the notion that anything associated with children is negative or unintelligent.
    Agreed. I still enjoy many "kids'" comics, including (but by no means exclusively) ones which I read when I actually was a kid.

Some of that stuff actually contains lessons that some people probably need to relearn anyway.

I read comics (books and strips) from all eras. I don't worry about what others think. Enjoy what you enjoy!

Besides, not sure how you can be too old for reading and enjoying art.

Artist/Writer

Since we are talking about DIVERSITY IN COMICS, I wanted to post about our new Kickstarter with an all-star diverse team of Creators!

A Stunning Black Vision and Voice in Comics
    SHARA MALISE - AFROFUTURISM NEXT HERO!

Miami Florida: Kieth C. Wade and Creature Entertainment today announced The Chronicles of Shara Malise, a new comic book created by an amazing cast of talent, led by the creator and writer, Keith C. Wade. The Chronicles of Shara Malise' or CSM is the gritty, thrilling action-packed story of the only female member of the New Senegalize Imperial Guard.
    Set 375 years in the future on the continent of Africa, Shara and her battalion are sent on what many say is a suicide mission, to find and destroy a demon terrorist group known as the Onyx. They couldn't have known that he would be waiting for them...the being called...The Pinnacle.

“It has been a great adventure seeing Kieth's book come to fruition, it is an amazing tale on par with any great epic!” says Juan Navarro, Editor-in-Cheif at CREATURE ENTERTAINMENT and owner of the Goblins Heist, “It's gonna be an amazing ride in 2022!”

The Kickstarter features a modest entryway ranging from digital comics to the printed book to rare variants, original art, and even a chance to get drawn into the comic!

The Chronicles of Shara Malise Kickstarter is going on right now, and is available starting now till November 15th! http://kck.st/3pcklp5

Hope you can enjoy it, but also let me know what you think going forward! Love to hear from you guys!

BANNED

There is enough variety of comics for everyone to enjoy like there is enough books for everyone. The question is, will people take less time with video games and youtube to read them?

People put too much stock into what others are doing with their time.