Thread: Superman TAS

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Default Superman TAS

I've been watching Superman TAS on HBO Max and it's REALLY good. I first got introduced to the show through a Superman kiddie ride that used to be at my local mall. It had him "stopping" the vehicle you were in. Never rode it, but I remembered it back when I got into DC fully, looked it up, and found it played the Superman TAS theme; since this thing was developed in the UK, it played the PAL version. I found the theme AWESOME and watched Nostalgia Critic's review of the first three episodes. From then on, I'd watched several clips of it, but didn't fully watch it until last week. I'm up to Season 2 Episode 1 now. Here are my thoughts on the show:

• The theme's awesome, like was said before.
    • Brainiac is hot. Like, THAT VOICE. It's like HAL 9000 with a drawl to it. He's my absolute favorite version of the character.
    • I wanna draw Lana Lang. She looks nice.
    • Lois Lane dressed up as a doll in "Fun and Games" is surprisingly pretty. I'd like to draw that too.
    • Toyman is a creep
    • Lobo is disgusting (as in doesn't know good manners)
    • I like the robot women that try to restrain Lobo for some reason, even though I normally don't like evil female AIs
    • The Barney reference in "Feeding Time" made me crack up
    • I feel bad for Metallo

And of course, the beautiful '90s Japanese animation. I find this show better than BTAS, even though I haven't watched that yet. Also, Evan Dorkin and Sarah Dyer (aka the revitalizers of Chad Ghostal) wrote for this show, though none of their episodes featured Brainiac. I would've died if they tried to sneak Chad into a crowd scene or something. My current favorite episode is "Stolen Memories."

I can't wait to watch more
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

BANNED

I think it's better than BTAS, and I'm not the only one. I thought the same back when I was a kid and both were on. Glad you like it too!

I remember when I first saw the Nostalgia Critic's review, the "blue angel" scene from "The Last Son of Krypton, Part 2" really resonated with me. It was really touching. I had no thoughts on Brainiac (my current favorite character) until November 2018, when I developed a crush on his Silver Age incarnation due to his briefs (yes, I was stupid back then); dunno when I discovered the Superman TAS version, but I remember saying I liked his voice in June 2019, so probably around then. Didn't start legit crushing on him until December 2019.

Here's the kiddie ride that introduced me to the show:

This is actually a very rare kiddie ride, and most videos of it are filmed at Waves Amusements in Britain, but I can confirm that this was on the fourth floor of the Palisades Center in West Nyack, NY, right by the entrance to Target, as late as 2012, with an Incredible Hulk kiddie ride too. Sadly, in 2013, the mall upgraded, and they got rid of the kiddie rides, so it's no longer there. But it still lives on in the UK, and it's been captured on video, so you can hear the glorious PAL version of the theme, which actually put tears in my eyes the first time I heard it. I'm actually dropping a reference to this thing in the first part of my DC universe, where Superman's first accomplishment in Metropolis is saving a train from a rock fall.

Here is part 2 of my thoughts...

• Mala and Jax-Ur remind me of Atomica and Johnny Quick
    • Brainiac is surprisingly weird when he's helpful (I know it's a hologram but STILL)
    • The Phantom Zone reminds me of hell
    • How come the citizens never bat an eyelash at the amount of destruction these fights cause, yet in MoS, they do?!
    • "Sonic boom? Earthquake? Maybe Perry had chili again." OH NO HAHAHAHA
    • I'd like to punch The Flash in the face. He seems to get on my nerves.
    • Weather Wizard sounds like Steve Blum, even though it's not him
    • "Livewire" was written by Evan Dorkin and Sarah Dyer. It kinda differs from their Space Ghost work.
    • I like Livewire's voice
    • THIS EPISODE PLAYS THE PAL VERSION OF THE THEME AT ONE POINT OH MY GOD
    • I feel bad for Bizarro. He just wanted to be a hero...
    • One part of "Target" reminded me of a scene from the SpongeBob episode "No Free Rides." I'll let you guess which.
    • Nice, they used a red herring. I was waiting for that.
    • Mr. Mxyzptlk is so annoying. I like his girlfriend, though.
    • My dad watched "Action Figures" with me and thought Metallo looked like something out of Jonny Quest. There was even a volcano laboratory.

Gotten up to "Double Dose." "Ghost in the Machine" is drawing near! Next time I watch, it'll be when I head to Six Flags Great Adventure. I also started Batman TAS on the way home from the beach last week, got up to "Heart of Ice." I can compare the two now. Batman TAS I was kinda lost on. Alfred's comments made me laugh ("On Leather Wings" when he says "I didn't know you were getting into rock n' roll music") but maybe it was the mood I was in at the time that made me disinterested. It's good, though.

hahaahahaha.... yess...... it was a great TV show.

The Phantom Zone reminds me of hell
    Yeah I remember thinking the same watching the show.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

The big thing that held that show back compared to BTAS IMO was the animation. They seem to me to have used a different studio for that, and it showed. The animation was slow and clunky, making the fights somewhat less impactful than they should have been. Story and voice work was outstanding though.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    The big thing that held that show back compared to BTAS IMO was the animation. They seem to me to have used a different studio for that, and it showed. The animation was slow and clunky, making the fights somewhat less impactful than they should have been. Story and voice work was outstanding though.
    Didn't notice. Not the critical type.

Incredible Member

Considering BTAS and JLU have had a resurgence in the form of "The Adventure Continues" and "Infinity", I would love to see a continuation of STAS bridging the series finale and the JL Premiere (seeing the effects of "Legacy", probably introduce a few Superman villains that appeared in JL and JLU such as Ultra-Humanite, Bloodsport and Puzzler)

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Considering BTAS and JLU have had a resurgence in the form of "The Adventure Continues" and "Infinity", I would love to see a continuation of STAS bridging the series finale and the JL Premiere (seeing the effects of "Legacy", probably introduce a few Superman villains that appeared in JL and JLU such as Ultra-Humanite, Bloodsport and Puzzler)
    I'd be happy with it if they did show a follow up to the Kal-El + Lashina story beat. Sure, in the canon version you could write it off as "nothing important happened"... or...... well.... apparently the writers were setting up a potential plotline where they reveal that... yes actually Kal-El gave Lashina a lot more than just memories. Yeah allegedly the plan was that in the future time period that Batman beyond is set in they were gonna have Kal-El meet a half-Kryptonian/Half-New God son of his.