Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    That was the golden years for superman, we had a never ending ongoing story where superman was front and center alwasy, plus his whole family had comics of their own. Nobody who actually lived thru that time and actually bought SUPER comics at thst time would ever consider it a confusing failure.

Superman fans now would LOVE thst much coming out.
    I don't think you really understand my point

As of today we have Action Comics and Superman. Both follow very different stories with small over lap.

Then
    We had man of steel, action comics, superman and adventures..

But it just as well could have been ac #1, ac#2, ac#3,ac#4 weekly within the month.

Naming the exact same storyline all in the same run with man of steel, ac, adventures and superman was legit silly. You couldnt exclusively read any 1 title cause literally at the end superman #122, the last page would say continue reading the story in adventures #88... then the last page of adventures 88 would say, read more in man of steel #75

Dude its dumb and sorting singles with rando numbers requires u either read that last page or have extensive reading order lists.

Yah if ur a dedicated reader its not to complicated to organize.

But it was like. At Home on my shelf I have ac#600.. this week I need ac#601 when i go to the store. It was oh i have ac600, now i need adventures 77...

Sorry man thats dumb

As for having superboy, supergirl and four superman books etc

Yeah of course that is great. But the odd way of having 4 titles totally interconnected but totally seperate titles and number is simply stupid.

The 4 titles should have been way less connected and had independant stories. And that wasn't the case in 1997.

Today if you collect superman then u get basically the whole plot

And if you collect ac its virtually its own thing.

Yah there is over.lap but not like then.

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    Wasn't that era one of the highest selling periods in Superman history though? It couldn't have been that impenetrable.
    Ill post a reading order list when i get home

Not saying it was impossible

Just pointless. Could have been ac running weekly

Didnt need 4 titles with 4 seperate number systems

For the same story

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    I don't think you really understand my point

As of today we have Action Comics and Superman. Both follow very different stories with small over lap.

Then
    We had man of steel, action comics, superman and adventures..

But it just as well could have been ac #1, ac#2, ac#3,ac#4 weekly within the month.

Naming the exact same storyline all in the same run with man of steel, ac, adventures and superman was legit silly. You couldnt exclusively read any 1 title cause literally at the end superman #122, the last page would say continue reading the story in adventures #88... then the last page of adventures 88 would say, read more in man of steel #75

Dude its dumb and sorting singles with rando numbers requires u either read that last page or have extensive reading order lists.

Yah if ur a dedicated reader its not to complicated to organize.

But it was like. At Home on my shelf I have ac#600.. this week I need ac#601 when i go to the store. It was oh i have ac600, now i need adventures 77...

Sorry man thats dumb

As for having superboy, supergirl and four superman books etc

Yeah of course that is great. But the odd way of having 4 titles totally interconnected but totally seperate titles and number is simply stupid.

The 4 titles should have been way less connected and had independant stories. And that wasn't the case in 1997.

Today if you collect superman then u get basically the whole plot

And if you collect ac its virtually its own thing.

Yah there is over.lap but not like then.

DC was very smart at the time, kept its fans engaged, kept sells coming in, it was a win win for DC, and us fans of the time.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Ill post a reading order list when i get home

Not saying it was impossible

Just pointless. Could have been ac running weekly

Didnt need 4 titles with 4 seperate number systems

For the same story
    Wouldn't the artist change week to week? I dislike it when artists change on monthly titles, I don't know if I could stand that.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member

I always thought the triangle numbering was pretty cool. I was not a DC reader though and only jumped on when Doomsday showed up (well, technically I think I missed his cameo appearance) and stayed on until the return of Superman.

DC was very smart at the time, kept its fans engaged, kept sells coming in, it was a win win for DC, and us fans of the time.
    Honestly it was more to do with the era.

When i started collecting comics there were no computers and virtually no cellphones. 4 working tv channels... comics sold well cause they were a major form of entertainment at the time... 1980s and 90s was a very different world.

This graph demonstrates the rapid decline in reading and the younger the reader (which was traditional comic reader) the faster the decline or interest in reading.

Dc wasn't doing anything anymore special now then then. Ive been reading stead again for 5 years and collected books from 1970s all the way to present.

Sure i got nostalgia for the books of my decade. Without a doubt comics are far better now then ever before. Writing, art, you name it.

Again. Love the old books and the old days.

But as far as dc being superior then. It wasnt. Just less competition from other entertainment sources.

Theres a reason playboy is a dead magazine. Or why news papers are bankrupt in physical paper. Its nothing to do with being better.

Screenshot_20210831-161554_Chrome.jpg

When i started collecting comics there were no computers and virtually no cellphones. 4 working tv channels... comics sold well cause they were a major form of entertainment at the time... 1980s and 90s was a very different world.

This graph demonstrates the rapid decline in reading and the younger the reader (which was traditional comic reader) the faster the decline or interest in reading.

Dc wasn't doing anything anymore special now then then. Ive been reading stead again for 5 years and collected books from 1970s all the way to present.

Sure i got nostalgia for the books of my decade. Without a doubt comics are far better now then ever before. Writing, art, you name it.

But as far as dc being superior then. It wasnt. Just less competition from other entertainment sources.

Theres a reason playboy is a dead magazine. Or why news papers are bankrupt in physical paper. Its nothing to do with being better.

I actually was collecting at the time, as they were coming out, and having a ongoing superman story coming out every week was all I needed as a fan.

Yes the internet killed the print entertainment, we all know thst, but my point is thst a weekly ongoing superman story was amazing.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Incredible Member

Sounds to me like Yr reading the wrong books from previous decades to reach that conclusion

I actually was collecting at the time, as they were coming out, and having a ongoing superman story coming out every week was all I needed as a fan.

Yes the internet killed the print entertainment, we all know thst, but my point is thst a weekly ongoing superman story was amazing.
    Again missing my point

Obvs a weekly series is great

It was the convoluted numbering and multiple names of what is essentially just 1 series ongoing.

Again missing my point

Obvs a weekly series is great

It was the convoluted numbering and multiple names of what is essentially just 1 series ongoing.

I'm not missing any point your making, I'm just saying it doesn't matter when a superman fan gets a ongoing story every week to look forward too.

Ultimate Member

I'm not missing any point your making, I'm just saying it doesn't matter when a superman fan gets a ongoing story every week to look forward too.
    Pretty much what you are saying it gave a Superman fan a complete story in a month versus having to wait months.

His point is if they were going to do all that why not do a weekly Superman book under one title. The way it was done you had 4 different titles and creative teams.

Remember when that was going on there were not collected runs of every single story arc like we have now.

From a collector stand point it would be a head acne to have to look for 4 different titles versus one for a complete story.

Wouldn't the artist change week to week? I dislike it when artists change on monthly titles, I don't know if I could stand that.
    To honest I think most of those books had the same art style by different artists.

Extraordinary Member

This might not be what you were arguing, but that's a wrong statement right there. Speaking as a "modern" fan who has gone back and read a lot of the classic DC runs of the 80s and 90s, including Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans, Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol and Animal Man, Paul Levitz's Legion of Superheroes, Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League, etc., I can confidently say...those runs slap. They're as good as, if not better than, most of the best runs that are coming out today.

My favorite Batman story of all time is The Long Halloween. That came out in 1996--25 years ago at this point. I love what is coming out of the Batman line currently, and this might be nostalgia glasses speaking, but none of what's coming out now is as good as The Long Halloween imo. And, again, I came into comics long after TLH was published.

Astonishing Member

Totally agreed. And I am a 2000s fan. But the stuff DC put out during the Jeanette Kahn years outclasses the newer material not to mention just being much influential like Animal Man/Swamp Thing/Sandman/Watchmen/TDKR. If anything this highlights how fanboys running the company damaged the longterm viability of DC especially given how DC post-Infinite Crisis was mostly playing catch up to Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Sounds to me like Yr reading the wrong books from previous decades to reach that conclusion
    I take recommendations. I read about 100 trades per year.

What would you suggest I check out?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    This might not be what you were arguing, but that's a wrong statement right there. Speaking as a "modern" fan who has gone back and read a lot of the classic DC runs of the 80s and 90s, including Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans, Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol and Animal Man, Paul Levitz's Legion of Superheroes, Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League, etc., I can confidently say...those runs slap. They're as good as, if not better than, most of the best runs that are coming out today.

My favorite Batman story of all time is The Long Halloween. That came out in 1996--25 years ago at this point. I love what is coming out of the Batman line currently, and this might be nostalgia glasses speaking, but none of what's coming out now is as good as The Long Halloween imo. And, again, I came into comics long after TLH was published.
    Ive read lots of that materials. Including long Halloween.

Im glad you think those are better. I am just as excited about current monthly's as I am about books from my decade, the 90s...

But each to there own. Both are great. Maybe not fair to say modern books are exactly better.

But Truely the art and writing has been modernized and to me often feels of higher quality.