Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I consider menacer a troll and is the one with no reading comprension, he also flips around and says something else when he gets called out.

He also lies and claims opinions as facts.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    I do indeed. But again the new independent stuff is very different from the older independent stuff - in general the shelves are a lot tamer and more safe than in 80s and early 90s.

Lot of genres gone from the monthly shelves, lot of art styles gone, lot of content gone too.
    Safer how? Can you be more specific?

I started reading Lady Death lately. Kinda like spawn but with a chick. Sex, nudity, swearing, demons and devils, good art style...

I think the idea that media, tv, movies, comics was so wild in the 70s and 80s and now its so pc has some truth. At least with the material thats hyper main stream...

But all that rare stuff is available underground. Just need to be searching it out more. May not be right in the shop but online stuff can be found...

What was so wild in your opinion about these materials?

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    I consider menacer a troll and is the one with no reading comprension, he also flips around and says something else when he gets called out.

He also lies and claims opinions as facts.
    Im just having a casual convo. Certainly not a troll.

What did I flip flop on?

And even if I did change my opinion isnt that the point of a discussion on these forums? To learn and change views.

I read endlessly. At least 1 hour a day and I finish a trade or 2 per week along with singles. In the last couple years Ive been keeping track on goodreads with ratings and reviews

Check out the books I added on Goodreads. http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?in...VkYjE5Mjg2ZWI1

Randomly popping in while im having a fun convo is certainly more Troll behavior then me chatting with other board members.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Safer how? Can you be more specific?

I started reading Lady Death lately. Kinda like spawn but with a chick. Sex, nudity, swearing, demons and devils, good art style...

I think the idea that media, tv, movies, comics was so wild in the 70s and 80s and now its so pc has some truth. At least with the material thats hyper main stream...

But all that rare stuff is available underground. Just need to be searching it out more. May not be right in the shop but online stuff can be found...

What was so wild in your opinion about these materials?
    It's hard to define it for me; ie what precisely was so different. I'd say check out something like Fabulous Freak Brothers, Eightball, Cages, Frank, Love and Rockets, and Cerebus as some examples i can think of that are very different to monthly books today. Pussey by Daniel Clowes is a very funny take on the history of comics and how comic shops changed over time that can explain it far better than i can.

A lot of creators left the shelves for OGNs but i stayed with single issues as it will always be my favourite format and I'd say there is a lot of good pulp on the shelves today and there is some very good genre fiction and art too so its not a question of the old days were better but more that a lot of styles, creators, and genres have gone from the monthly shelves over time.

Incredible Member

What did I flip flop on?

And even if I did change my opinion isnt that the point of a discussion on these forums? To learn and change views.

I read endlessly. At least 1 hour a day and I finish a trade or 2 per week along with singles. In the last couple years Ive been keeping track on goodreads with ratings and reviews

Check out the books I added on Goodreads. http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?in...VkYjE5Mjg2ZWI1

Randomly popping in while im having a fun convo is certainly more Troll behavior then me chatting with other board members.
    I dont think you're a troll!

I think it was Neal Adams that said art in books today across the board is generally the best its ever been and I think thats true - ive seen a good number of rough looking books on the shelves in the past but I dont think I ever see a rough book on shelves today - competition amongst artists is razor hot.

Walking Dead was one of the very best horror books in the history of the genre (imo)
    Criminal is superb crime comics - right up with the very best ever
    Dynamite do great pulp books - they went from a trashy figure of fun to really quality genre books
    All the Batman minis Dc put out look really great.
    JH williams going ballistic is always a treat
    Matt Kindt doing top work at Boom

etc etc

Astonishing Member

What did I flip flop on?

You are the troll, you with your gaslighting efforts on board members.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    You are the troll, you with your gaslighting efforts on board members.
    Lol what? Do you even know what that means?

gaslighting
    manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity

If im making you or members question their sanity you guys got some bigger problems then me posting in a comic book forum. This is my hobby. It definitely isnt personal. I dont get hurt feelings or lose sleep over a comic book forum.

This is our fun hobby. I hope everyone enjoys their hobby.

Not question their sanity.

I dont think you're a troll!

I think it was Neal Adams that said art in books today across the board is generally the best its ever been and I think thats true - ive seen a good number of rough looking books on the shelves in the past but I dont think I ever see a rough book on shelves today - competition amongst artists is razor hot.

Walking Dead was one of the very best horror books in the history of the genre (imo)
    Criminal is superb crime comics - right up with the very best ever
    Dynamite do great pulp books - they went from a trashy figure of fun to really quality genre books
    All the Batman minis Dc put out look really great.
    JH williams going ballistic is always a treat
    Matt Kindt doing top work at Boom

etc etc
    Thanks for the vote of support!

Ill add your books to my list. Nothing better then great recommendations!

It's hard to define it for me; ie what precisely was so different. I'd say check out something like Fabulous Freak Brothers, Eightball, Cages, Frank, Love and Rockets, and Cerebus as some examples i can think of that are very different to monthly books today. Pussey by Daniel Clowes is a very funny take on the history of comics and how comic shops changed over time that can explain it far better than i can.

A lot of creators left the shelves for OGNs but i stayed with single issues as it will always be my favourite format and I'd say there is a lot of good pulp on the shelves today and there is some very good genre fiction and art too so its not a question of the old days were better but more that a lot of styles, creators, and genres have gone from the monthly shelves over time.
    Ive added those books to my list.

Gonna see if I can find Pussey too

Yah not totally sure what you mean.... is it like how Western movies were the primary genre for so long and then by 2000 it was nearly impossible to find a western to watch?

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I like how the New 52 made Brainiac being responsible for Krypton's destruction canon.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    I like how the New 52 made Brainiac being responsible for Krypton's destruction canon.
    That’s good to know, I guess.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

A surprisingly not crap article from Polygon that interviews a bunch of the people involved: https://www.polygon.com/comics/22679...source=twitter

Why 52 books? I mean, it’s interesting, because ultimately, the office was constructed to support somewhere between 60 to 80 books on a monthly basis. OK. So if you’re going to put out less product, you’re going to make a staffing change. So realistically, we’re working with the [in-house] staff that we have. We did not want to rearrange the staff; we didn’t want to do that. So the challenge was to create enough engaging material to support the structure, but also to be able to broaden it out.

And also, you wanted to create a large number of titles that were financially successful, so you can have more risk titles. You get a chance to take some really wild swings at projects, because you have other things on the top end financially supporting it. That was a lot of the motivation behind Vertigo — the DC universe was very successful, so it allowed Vertigo to be much more experimental and take more chances, because financially the company was meeting their numbers with the success of the superheroes.

How we got to 52 was an interesting thing, because originally it was 40. Realistically, the math was something like, it was like 10 books a week. There was consistency of what you were putting out there. It seemed like that was the [number] that people would be able to absorb in the course of a week. But ultimately, we needed a little more product, so we pushed it up to 48. I had it at 48, and Jim had it at 52. When I asked him, “why 52?” He goes, “You had a lot of success with that weekly series 52. It seems like a lucky number.” And I mean, when you have logic like that, how do you argue?
    Lmao
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-21-2021 at 01:50 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

You don’t want to put stories in canon that people have no interest in, because ultimately, the worst thing you could do is tell a story to undo a bad story, which happens a lot. It just makes [everything] more convoluted and messy.
    Why do you keep bloody doing that then? Jesus. They’re aware of the problem but can’t seem to stop repeating it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    A surprisingly not crap article from Polygon that interviews a bunch of the people involved: https://www.polygon.com/comics/22679...source=twitter

Lmao
    Sound logic .

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    Rogol Zaar begs to differ...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES