Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post At this point, "New 52" isn't that bad at all.

After looking at the latest solicitations, I look back all the way from "New 52". You can say all you want how bad the continuously and canon address it is but at least they really took the risk by publishing out more variety books for readership to read. From so many choices to few little options these days.

Especially from "JLD, Firestorm, JLI, Animal Man till the Question."

Guess "The end" of DC Universe is near.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

We got:

Task Force Z
    Justice League Dark
    Aquaman books - including Black Manta and Aquaman/GA title
    Checkmate
    Lobo & Crush
    Deathstroke
    The Milestone titles - Icon & Rocket, Hardware, Static
    Nubia & the Amazons
    Swamp Thing
    Nice House on the Lake
    Wonder Girl

There's a few books on the schedule that are out there.
    Yes, there is a metric ****-tonne of Bat-books, but there's still some diversity in the line.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

We wouldn't have this many Bat books if Nu52 didn't completely atomize everybody's histories and nobody could agree on which stories did and didn't happen. Batman was the only one who is semi stable (and the only one who gets any real push in outside media meaning he has a more outsized audience compared to everyone else) so more Bat books is a necessary evil until everybody else is on an even keel.

Also, like marriedguy said, there are good titles to look forward. I'm enjoying Flash for the first time in a long while and it's a good year for WW fans since we are getting WW: Black & Gold, Historia, Nubia & the Amazons plus her main title and Sensation has been solid. Plus she's one JLD.

Incredible Member

It all happened.

Extraordinary Member

Hahahahahaha. Yeah...no. The New 52 was a literal dumpster fire. Yeah, there were titles for a bunch of different characters but a lot of those titles weren't at all good. Mr. Terrific, Static, Savage Hawkman, etc. were all awful and JLI and Firestorm were pretty mediocre at best if still passable.

There were a few gems from that era like Animal Man and Swamp Thing, but what good is a diverse line-up if the line-up is still bad for the most part?

It's frustrating that there are so many Batman titles, but at least the actual quality of the content that DC is putting out nowadays is head and shoulders above what they were publishing during the New 52 era.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    We got:

Task Force Z
    Justice League Dark
    Aquaman books - including Black Manta and Aquaman/GA title
    Checkmate
    Lobo & Crush
    Deathstroke
    The Milestone titles - Icon & Rocket, Hardware, Static
    Nubia & the Amazons
    Swamp Thing
    Nice House on the Lake
    Wonder Girl

There's a few books on the schedule that are out there.
    Yes, there is a metric ****-tonne of Bat-books, but there's still some diversity in the line.
    Quoted for truth.

When was the last time the Wonder Woman side of the DC Universe was being given FIVE ongoing series, including an entire anthology series dedicated to her and a miniseries in Wonder Woman: Evolution? It's almost as if DC is finally giving Diana the cred she deserves.

Then we also have a Suicide Squad that's been purged of Batman characters for the most part (MAJOR FORCE!!); a Black Manta miniseries; Justice League Incarnate (with Captain Carrot on the team no less); and, a freaking HUMAN TARGET maxiseries––that's a deep cut of a character if I ever saw one.

So, yeah, there's a lot of Batman books and it's a bit frustrating...but DC is still trying new things and delivering series for some very underappreciated characters. These solicits are kind of deceptive cuz they bury the lead and all the non-Batman stuff is toward the end.

DC also barely capitalized at all on Static and the other Milestone characters until very recently. Once Static's Nu52 ongoing was cancelled that was it until the most recent ongoing.

Jackson Hyde starring in his 'Aquaman: The Becoming'; a rare example of DC trying to push a character from an adaptation. DC wasn't capitalizing much on the gains made by adaptations either. No Supergirl ongoing when her show was on the air. No Black Lightning push when he got his own show. No Vixen push when she was those shows either.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post

When was the last time the Wonder Woman side of the DC Universe was being given FIVE ongoing series, including an entire anthology series dedicated to her and a miniseries in Wonder Woman: Evolution?
    The only ongoings are Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl. It's still awesome that we have this many mini series

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

More variety doesn't really matter if most those choices are bad. Liefeld has drawn a lot of comics and if you laid them all out, I'd have a lot of choices and none would be winners.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

If nothing else, the New 52 gave us T-shirt & jeans social crusader Superman, so I can't begrudge that era too badly, even if it offered me so little as a fan that I eventually gave up DC for a few years.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If nothing else, the New 52 gave us T-shirt & jeans social crusader Superman, so I can't begrudge that era too badly, even if it offered me so little as a fan that I eventually gave up DC for a few years.
    New 52 had some real winners... But a lot of losers.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Mighty Member

I get the idea of the post. But the major issue is how DC is acting like an overprotected Parent to Batman, putting them in every commerical going And then having a go at the director when they don't get the part of oliver or something.

Someone makes a joke that Batman eats pussy And DC's response was "My kid doesn't do that, he is a Hero"
    So they overcompensate And put over half their publishing output with Batman.
    We have over 30 Batman titles And not a single Green Arrow book.
    Plus the main title sounds like such a big editorial mess that the best place to read are the out of continuity black label books. Those are the ones that find themselves on my pull list.

New 52 didn't have that problem, if anything, New 52 Batman seems like it was the best title from that era.
    I know of two Batman on-goings, plus a few minis.
    It seems DC are struggling.
    Which is a shame as this is The most DC books I've ever read. They managed to do the impossible and made me put a Superman book on my list

Spectacular Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No

The whole reason why Batman is dominant is because new 52 so thoroughly destroyed every other franchise that Batman was the only one who came out unscathed and still popular

The rest are either making a brutally slow recovery(Superman and Wonder Woman) or are completely unable to carry a series anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Vathlonian View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No

The whole reason why Batman is dominant is because new 52 so thoroughly destroyed every other franchise that Batman was the only one who came out unscathed and still popular

The rest are either making a brutally slow recovery(Superman and Wonder Woman) or are completely unable to carry a series anymore
    Aquaman would like to have a word with you.

Also, New 52 WW sold like hotcakes and was a very good series while Azzarello was at the helm. Yes, it ruffled feathers with long time fans, but it was IMHO for the best because the Amazon's society is deeply fucked up and most WW writers hard-on on making Zeus and all male mythical characters inherently bad is really tiring when they totally downplay all the **** that the goddesses did (if you hate Heracles for enslaving the Amazons, hate on Hera who turned him mad and had him kill his whole fucking family and then having to atone for it!).

Justice League was also great, so was most of Superman and Action Comics, Red Hood came into his own, finally, leaving behind the taint of Morrison's take on him.

And that's from the top of my head, I'm sure there were other titles which were well loved but weren't Batman.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

New 52 was a fun era, but people still complained about DC a lot back then also. I'd say the only time this forum didn't complain a lot was around the start of rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    It all happened.
    Superman's parents died before he left Smallville and are also still alive.
    Lex Luthor was a teenage supervillain in and out of jail his entire life, and was also a philanthropist with a clean record as a CEO.
    Wonder Woman came to Man's World with no secret identity and also came to Man's World and lived as Diana Prince for years.

This "it all happened" idea falls apart if you examine it because there's too many contradictions. I find that answer far more off putting than an honest answer that some stories are out of continuity for this reality but happened in another universe.
    With this set up when I read a story I don't know the history of the characters I'm reading because they're so undefined as to be meaningless. It creates a detachment from the characters.
    I think DC pushes this "it all happened" because it's easier than actually doing the work of maintaining a comprehensive continuity and that it works more or less for Batman, whose continuity is easier to reconcile because his history has been mostly kept consistent compared to other characters.