Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    That hypothetical. You dont know what story may be written.

Also again your not getting my point.

Have you read Mutiveristy by Grant Morrison.

As much as we are reading there reality as a comic book they our reading ours.

Also there is theories that we do live in a real life Multiverse. So while nothing may be clearly erased from your perspective. Doesnt mean it didnt happen

Familar with the mandela effect

Or the berenstain bears theory

Frankly how you cant understand that us in this reality cant know what has been erased or not any more then superman cant know

DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT IT HAPPENED AND EFFECTED THE FINAL RESULT SUPERMAN NOW LIVES IN.

As another example no one knows or remembers what happened before the big bang.

Doesnt make it irrelevant.... doesnt change that it lead us here. To us messaging about comic books
    Hm, well, I don't see it as likely that Diana will bring up her and Clark's past relationship that was apparently ongoing when he was married to Lois.

It's like witchboy said: you can't have both. You can't have a Superman who was single, young, an orphan, and dating Diana and at the same time have the guy we currently have: older, married to Lois, and a father to Jon, with parents who are very much alive.

DC had the choice of which Superman they wanted to bring into the mainstream universe, and they chose the one that more closely resembled how Clark was Pre-Flashpoint. And the current Superman cannot realistically have much of the New 52 backstory with his current status quo.

Definitely not most.

Very tiny hardcore fan.

Vast majority dont care bro.
    DC's sales would suggest otherwise.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-18-2021 at 11:34 PM.

As another example no one knows or remembers what happened before the big bang.

Doesnt make it irrelevant.... doesnt change that it lead us here. To us messaging about comic books
    No one knows what happened before the Big Bang because no one was present to record that information.

Comparing this to characters not recalling events they actually were present for is one of the silliest analogies I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-18-2021 at 11:34 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Definitely not most.

Very tiny hardcore fan.

Heh, I'm gonna give a piece of unsolicited yet useful advice here: over the years I dealt with a lot of people here, about a lot of subjects, and this is not the first time I see the "vast majority" argument. Thing is, even if you're right, and you might as well be, you don't know.

No one, not even the data crushers at DC, has access to what three vast majority thinks about most given things on its universe.

And every single time I've seen the argument used here, what it really meant was "well, that's how I read my Comics, so it's obviously how most people read theirs".
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    After looking at the latest solicitations, I look back all the way from "New 52". You can say all you want how bad the continuously and canon address it is but at least they really took the risk by publishing out more variety books for readership to read. From so many choices to few little options these days.

Especially from "JLD, Firestorm, JLI, Animal Man till the Question."

Guess "The end" of DC Universe is near.
    I really REEEEEALLY enjoyed New52 a lot and will forever be sad that universe ended. I had a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    I really REEEEEALLY enjoyed New52 a lot and will forever be sad that universe ended. I had a lot of fun.
    I know how you feel, Besouro.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Hm, well, I don't see it as likely that Diana will bring up her and Clark's past relationship that was apparently ongoing when he was married to Lois.

It's like witchboy said: you can't have both. You can't have a Superman who was single, young, an orphan, and dating Diana and at the same time have the guy we currently have: older, married to Lois, and a father to Jon, with parents who are very much alive.

DC had the choice of which Superman they wanted to bring into the mainstream universe, and they chose the one that more closely resembled how Clark was Pre-Flashpoint. And the current Superman cannot realistically have much of the New 52 backstory with his current status quo.
    The Clark/Superman that dated wonder woman was 100% a different superman. Who eventually died on the final days of superman. How else can you read this? They were real events that happened to a real superman. Just not the one that married lois in the 90s or had jon in 2018 or whenever that was.

Later these to versions were effectively merged by jons will, magic and mxlpxy (sp)

All real events that lead to where we are now.

Both things happened. But now cause of Rebirth and reborn components of 1 superman are lost and components of another superman are lost and components of both are merged. Exactly how they are merged usually comes out in future stories or lost

Definitely not most.

Very tiny hardcore fan.

Are you saying that only short hardcore fans care about stuff like that?!?

I would guess it's quite likely there are some that are over 6 feet tall!

Extraordinary Member

The Clark/Superman that dated wonder woman was 100% a different superman. Who eventually died on the final days of superman. How else can you read this? They were real events that happened to a real superman. Just not the one that married lois in the 90s or had jon in 2018 or whenever that was.

Later these to versions were effectively merged by jons will, magic and mxlpxy (sp)

All real events that lead to where we are now.

Both things happened. But now cause of Rebirth and reborn components of 1 superman are lost and components of another superman are lost and components of both are merged. Exactly how they are merged usually comes out in future stories or lost
    Yes. I was there. I remember.

But you're ignoring one really, really, really crucial fact. In the "merger," most (if not all) of the New 52 Superman exploits were erased from the timeline. It's not like it was a 50/50 merger. And as time goes on, it seems less and less likely that Superman remembers anything from the New 52 era.

Just saying, the "merger" was most likely a way for DC to say "forget the New 52 Superman; here's the classic version back."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I'm 6'4".

10char

Incredible Member

Comics take shortcuts all the time, with the consequences missing.
    I never cared for the whole Superman-Wonder Woman relationship.
    It seemed a break with who Clark was as a person.

In the real world, if Clark embarrassed Lois like that, she
    may take him back, but there would be consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

This is an undeniably strong argument... i may need to reevaluate my very being.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Yes. I was there. I remember.

But you're ignoring one really, really, really crucial fact. In the "merger," most (if not all) of the New 52 Superman exploits were erased from the timeline. It's not like it was a 50/50 merger. And as time goes on, it seems less and less likely that Superman remembers anything from the New 52 era.

Just saying, the "merger" was most likely a way for DC to say "forget the New 52 Superman; here's the classic version back."
    You still keep missing the point. It doesn't matter that superman doesn't remember. The event took place and accumulated to the result we read and they experienced.

Doesnt matter that dc now has "forgotten" that timeline or whatever.

You could not have had Rebirth Action Comics Volume 1 without the road to Rebirth lois and clark, you couldn't have had lois and clark without the Convergence story, etc etc

The storyline builds.

If you simply burned Flashpoint and all the new52. Destroyed it from existence. Then

Doomsday clock makes no sense. Reborn makes no sense. The two clarks story in Rebirth makes no sense...

You claim they forget but stories 100% references these older new 52 stories and books.

If our universe is cyclically. So each big bang creates a new universe and a new collapse and a new big bang

The same effect is true for dc events that reset the universe.

You need the 1940s, 50s, 60s etc all the way to 1985 COIE only makes sense with that convoluted history. Regardless that it was merged or erased you need the past to fully appreciate the book and story itself.

Its not that complicated.

But you appear to be way complicating the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814[/quote
    Ratings for every issue Nightwing since the beginning of Tom Taylor's run: 9.2, 9.1, 9.2, 9.2, 8.7, 9.3; Also the actual CRITIC rating for the New 52 Nightwing and the current run is tied at 7.5

So, nice try...but no cigar. Again, were we not talking about the CRITICAL consensus?
    Okay. NOW we can say that class has been dismissed.
    Too late; I already locked the classroom doors. I'm not taking on any TAs, but I'll announce it if I do. In the meantime, no need to inquire.

Almost all of the flagship titles were received significantly better as voted by regular, everyday readers according to that site comics roundup. Let's think: who more authentically represents the preferences of the fanbase: the actual fanbase themselves, or paid comic journalists and vested industry insiders? It's okay; you don't have to answer. The user ratings are clear. Meanwhile, a "critic" is a person who expresses an opinion on something, and regular users ARE critics. They're probably the truest critics specifically because they don't get paid. That's probably a good thing; it helps eliminate a few biases. I can't imagine anyone arguing against that. With that said: the fanbase has spoken. Meanwhile, professional critics -- which is what you are forced to rely on for your argument -- do not represent the will of the fans. Such critics may be useful in providing recommendations: their use is prescriptive, not descriptive, and they very often completely miss the mark. Think of any book or film you read or watched based on reviews and it turned out to be goat ****. We've all been there -- lots of times. In the meantime, try to keep a finger on the pulse of the real, everyday fans if you want the most authentic representation.

For those who missed yesterday's lesson, feast your eyes:

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    I find it funny that people spend their time saying continuity is dead, then
    we all have a long discussion about continuity.
    It's wishful thinking utilized as a coping mechanism to help minimize the impact of what they cannot change on their psyche, which makes it inherently flawed. You'll see some people try to rationalize their ideal 'headcanon continuity' with flaccid, erroneous examples like "The New 52 never happened because Clark isn't dating Diana" or whatever. That's great -- and meaningless. Diana broke up with Steve Trevor in 2019 too. Big woop: these things happen. Welcome to comic books. The timelines and characters have been merged. Their memories have not been "erased" as someone is claiming. Rather, they acknowledge and retain their memories while recognizing they were merged from timelines; the characters are aware of what has happened to them. So as I stated, it's a flawed coping mechanism. Acceptance is always healthier than denial, but not everybody is at that stage. In the meantime, it's best to nod your head in silence and allow them to naturally process their grief.

Alright, it's time for recess folks, then I'm giving you a free period for the rest of the day. Be good now, and remember -- Truth, Justice, and the American Way, even when it sucks.

Last edited by Greta; 08-19-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Incredible Member

I really wish people would not use language like authentic fans. My view is if you
    are here writing, expressing your thoughts on a DC message board you qualify
    as authentic. The only thing which annoys me is when people talk about the crap
    that comes from Marvel. But that is me.

These characters, many of them 80 years old, have been around for quite some time.
    What happens to them matters a lot. We discuss things, phrase things, occasionally it gets
    heated. But we all of us have a stake, an ownership in DC Comics.