Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I was looking at a list of the launch titles, and found myself lamenting the loss of names like Justin Jordan, Joshua Hale Fialkov, Van Jensen, Kyle Higgins, Gregg Hurwitz, Duane Swirzcnycki (sp?) et al. Not everything they did was amazing, but there were a lot of damn good ideas that never got fully realized, or were cut short prematurely.
    I did always like Kyle Higgins and Greg Hurwitz.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    This thread had me thinking about said creators yesterday.

I was looking at a list of the launch titles, and found myself lamenting the loss of names like Justin Jordan, Joshua Hale Fialkov, Van Jensen, Kyle Higgins, Gregg Hurwitz, Duane Swirzcnycki (sp?) et al. Not everything they did was amazing, but there were a lot of damn good ideas that never got fully realized, or were cut short prematurely.
    Mainstream heroes lost a lot of great talent because of DC's lack of structure and too much oversight.

Another point that hit me after my initial post was Dan's proclamation of diversity. There was almost no diversity in creators or content. Any characters of color were tokens. I wish DC would actually attempt a diverse line up in titles. Dan, as with everything he ever did was all talk. Hit the hot topics, doesn't matter if the end results dont match up as long as you say it. He really should go into politics.

I've only sampled a relatively small part of the New 52, and that includes some of my favorite comics - Snyderpullo's Batman, Tomeason's Batman & Robin, Morrison's Action, the "Pax Americana" issue of Multiversity (maybe the most brilliant single issue I've ever read). I also loved Grayson. And I read some weak issues and dropped those books and moved on. I can't speak to the wider line, because I read only relatively few titles, like in all eras. In any art/entertainment, most stuff is mediocre to junk, a small minority are worth your time and money. At the time, I read stuff from creators I liked or stuff I heard good things about, and ignored the rest, and was fairly happy, just like now.

Coincidentally, I just did a casual google search for opinions on the best of the New 52, and made a list to track down - Johns' and Parker's Aquaman, Gail Simone's Batgirl, Lemire's Green Arrow, Earth 2, and Mark Russell's Prez all seem to be highly regarded to varying degrees.
    Last edited by Yohei72; 03-12-2022 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    I did always like Kyle Higgins and Greg Hurwitz.
    This might be old news to you, but Higgins seems to be starting up a superhero universe at Image, spinning out of his newish title Radiant Black, and word is very strong.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...y-Kyle-Higgins

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Sorry, I don't think there's enough booze and drugs in the world to make me think that the nu52 was anything other than an unmitigated disaster, done by people who completely missed the point of nearly every character. Some of those titles were among the worst I've ever read; indeed, some of the worst I've ever imagined. The ideas were bad; the execution, worse.
    5 years of comics? From 2011 til Rebirth in 2016... 5 years

I have stacks and stacks of awesome new52 books. I still collect books from that era...

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Aren't we still in the New 52? I see people state that it lasted from 2011 - 2016, but as far as I can tell, 2016 is just when Rebirth started, not when the New 52 ended.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Aren't we still in the New 52? I see people state that it lasted from 2011 - 2016, but as far as I can tell, 2016 is just when Rebirth started, not when the New 52 ended.
    The "New 52" refers to the rebooted continuity that began in 2011 and was defined by things such as Lois and Clark's marriage and entire relationship being scrubbed from continuity, Tim Drake having never been a Robin, Wally West never having existed, Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown having never existed and never being Batgirls, etc.

In the present continuity, all those things have been reversed and all things point to DC's canon having largely gone back to the way it was before the New 52. So, from that perspective, the New 52 is over and has been over for years at this point. Rebirth was the start of those New 52 changes being reversed, which is why people cite 2016 as the end of the New 52.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No, the continuity has changed 3-4 times since then

In DC You when Post Crisis Clark showed up in the back story 5 years ago after Jon was born in Convergence

In Rebirth when the back story was extended to 10 years, Post Crisis Super family turned out to be not from Post Crisis but half of a whole Super family while the other half is the New 52 version, but the Kents are still dead, and New 52 was explained by having Dr. Manhattan experimenting

In DC Universe after Superman Reborn where there never was a New 52 Super family, just the current one wearing the New 52 costume, and the JSA is brought back after Superman talked to Manhattan, the Kents are now alive, but then no one in the present remember JSA again because Batman Who Laughs messed with the time stream

and now Frontier, where everyone remember JSA and they exist since the beginning, events that never happened in New 52 such as No Man's Land now happened again (because in Rebirth and Reborn they still haven't happened)

However, if you don't wanna count all that, New 52 officially ended with Doomsday Clock when Dr. Manhattan archived it in Earth-52
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-23-2022 at 10:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    After looking at the latest solicitations, I look back all the way from "New 52". You can say all you want how bad the continuously and canon address it is but at least they really took the risk by publishing out more variety books for readership to read. From so many choices to few little options these days.

Especially from "JLD, Firestorm, JLI, Animal Man till the Question."

Guess "The end" of DC Universe is near.
    If thats the case whos fault does it lie in that the books wernt appreciated and purchased?

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

What in story event actually ended the New 52? As I recall, it was revealed that the timeline had been altered by Dr. Manhattan in Doomsday Clock, and then at the end of the story, it had been altered back. So doesn't that technically mean that we're in the "unaltered" timeline, which is the New 52 plus some of the pre-Flashpoint changes that DC wanted to restore to continuity?

Extraordinary Member

What in story event actually ended the New 52? As I recall, it was revealed that the timeline had been altered by Dr. Manhattan in Doomsday Clock, and then at the end of the story, it had been altered back. So doesn't that technically mean that we're in the "unaltered" timeline, which is the New 52 plus some of the pre-Flashpoint changes that DC wanted to restore to continuity?
    But again, if the New 52 was that "altered timeline," the fact that it has been altered back means that the New 52 is over, not that we're in a continuation of it. That altered state has come to an end. And by the looks of things, there are actually not many elements from the New 52 that have been carried over.

If you'd like to put a concrete ending on it, then it'd likely be Doomsday Clock

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    But again, if the New 52 was that "altered timeline," the fact that it has been altered back means that the New 52 is over, not that we're in a continuation of it. That altered state has come to an end. And by the looks of things, there are actually not many elements from the New 52 that have been carried over.

If you'd like to put a concrete ending on it, then it'd likely be Doomsday Clock
    Doomsday Clock is probably the correct answer as to when the New 52 "ended" (ie got folded into the pre-Flashpoint continuity to such a degree that neither could say they were the dominant strain of reality any more). Since Dr. Manhattan was responsible for the New 52, and he undid most of his meddling at the end of Doomsday Clock, that neatly puts a bow on the whole experiment. Narratively, anyway.

Doomsday Clock ends New 52, archived in Earth-52, but Manhattan didn't unalter everything.

For example, Manhattan saved Jor-El from Krypton and he's still around.

if Manhattan caused the New 52, unaltering it would return things to post crisis continuity plus some changes, like what if events from New 52 onward happened to post crisis characters
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-23-2022 at 02:11 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    For example, Manhattan saved Jor-El from Krypton and he's still around.
    No he isn't, Bendis had the United Alliance put him back where he belonged on Krypton just as it exploded

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    No he isn't, Bendis had the United Alliance put him back where he belonged on Krypton just as it exploded
    But it wasn't caused by resetting events, like Clark was now there to save Pa and Ma from the crash, or Alan Scott can reach his lantern again that leads to JSA existing again to help Superman