Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Dude. This is pointless. If you can’t see that the comics and the animation (which literally ended the New 52-inspired DCAMU) have moved on from the New 52 continuity, then you’re just denying reality.
    You are always saying things I never said.

New52 ended in 2015.

Why do you constantly make these rando out of context proclamations?

I don't wanna be rude but do you possibly lack reading comprehension?

We were clearly discussing _________. Now you see if you can figure out what the conversation was actually about.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The New 52 was a reboot to get the young people invested by the same people who lost their interest the last time around.
    That's probably not true at all. If anything the two most probable reasons are a) Didio didn't like the current direction of the DCU and thought the current titles were trash and b) Diane Nelson wanted a sales boost to show how "well" she was running DC. I lean towards the latter reason since the former seems to be self-serving nonsense. I think barring a few outliers like Johns, the upper ranks was never ever concerned about what the "readership" or "young people". If anything their management of DC from the 2000s to 2020 and how they treated characters like Nightwing/Wally/Cass/Steph/Ted shows they never cared about the readers' concerns and were more interested in building an idealized version of the DCU based on their childhood fantasies. The DCU and New 52 was always a sandbox for the publishers to live out their childhood fantasies.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 08-29-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Mighty Member

Characterizing fans who did not like the New 52 as "biased towards 70s era material" is an...interesting argument. Especially when most of the legacy characters that Pre-Flashpoint fans were clamoring to see back didn't debut or at least didn't truly come into their own until the mid-to-late 90s or early aughts. Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, Bart Allen, Conner Kent, etc. were all characters that 90s kids would have grown up with. Wally West, despite being around since the 50s, truly became a fan favorite during his time as the Flash, especially when he was written by Mark Waid.

So, yeah, interesting to say that those fans only wanted a 70's-era status quo.

Actually, if anything, the New 52 is what regressed DC back to a status quo more akin to the 1970s than the status quo that DC had before September 2011. All the heroes being younger and less experienced, Superman no longer married to Lois Lane, most of the heroes' marriages dissolved, most legacy characters erased, many POC and LGBTQ characters erased, etc. And actually, that makes sense, since the New 52 was conceived by people who actively wished that things were more like they were in the Silver Age...

Nobody is denying that New 52 had some good stories, but it seems that many here are actually in denial that the New 52 was at all derided by fans and critics alike. And, I'm sorry, but it was. For every Scott Snyder Batman or Jeff Lemire Animal Man, there were like 5 books that were awful or at the very least, had no concrete direction: Static, Savage Hawkman, Mr. Terrific, Superman, Stormwatch, etc.
    I didn't say New 52 is good, I am trying to say DC at least have try to release variety of books back then. Not another 50 goddamn batbooks like today.

I can agree about this statement. While most of the fans are relying on the modern stuffs and stories. The higher up on the other end are totally boomers who couldn't move on from the past.

Mighty Member

And again, it's pretty clear if you've actually read Infinite Frontier to tell that DC is trying to show that the New 52 is over. The main characters of the main event currently ongoing at DC openly talk about the timeline had been messed with and that they were trying to fight against any residual influence left by that tampering. On top of that, they're almost all characters who were erased post-Flashpoint, so...
    But what about the JSA? Until now even in Infinite Frontier, there is no follow up run for them after the mini concluding by next month. Not sure if it will relaunch by December but after taking fro granted by thinking it will come out on October but I was wrong.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    I didn't say New 52 is good, I am trying to say DC at least have try to release variety of books back then. Not another 50 goddamn batbooks like today.

I can agree about this statement. While most of the fans are relying on the modern stuffs and stories. The higher up on the other end are totally boomers who couldn't move on from the past.
    Can we please stop with the doomsaying?

It's been pointed out on this thread a few times that DC actually is publishing a substantial amount of non-Batfamily books. One poster even made a list of all of them. And when counted up, it was shown that during the New 52, there were only about 1-2 more non-Bat books than there are currently being published.

All I have to say is that I enjoyed the two New-52 titles that everyone hated:

Suicide Squad - Ok, Waller was hot but she was more evil than ever, disturbingly manipulative almost. I can appreciate that. And Harley's presence definitely hurts the book but still lots of fun characters like Yo-Yo, King Shark and Deadshot.

Teen Titans - Yes this was garbage up until Death of A Family but I thought it actually got better after that....I'll just leave it at that.

The one I really disliked was Red Hood and Outlaws, I haven't finished it yet but so far just disgusting characterization and nonsensical stories.

Still haven't read Stormwatch and Ravagers. Curious to see if I would enjoy those.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    We are stuck with 50+ batbooks precisely because the New 52 people mismanaged everything. Superman had once upon a time 4 ongoings devoted to him not to mention Superboy/Supergirl/Steel. GL had four during the height of the Johns era. The LoSH meanwhile had two ongoings and wasn't a shell of its former self. Not to mention Vertigo, which they shuttered and then purged Karen Berger for not creating superhero comics. Not to mention stuff like ABC/Wildstorm. DC Publishing had variety. It's because of the mismanagement (aside from Batman) of the previous regime that we are in this sorry state. If anything Batman is probably the most successful DC property probably because the ex-management left the editors on the Batbooks alone aside from trying to remove Cassandra Cain as Batgirl.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 08-30-2021 at 05:52 PM.

When Superman had 4 ongoings?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    When Superman had 4 ongoings?
    There was a period of time (under the so-called "triangle era" of the 90's), when Superman, as a solo character, had four ongoings:
    Superman
    Action
    Adventures of Superman (the old Superman title, renamed... makes for very annoying filing)
    and Superman: Man of Steel

These four titles combined to, essentially, pump out weekly adventures of Superman, often with intertwining storylines.

A *fifth* title, Superman: Man of Tomorrow, was added in the late 90's to cover for skip weeks.

It was, all in all, a pretty impressive bit of editorial wrangling.

So its a bit hard to blame New 52 for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    There was a period of time (under the so-called "triangle era" of the 90's), when Superman, as a solo character, had four ongoings:
    Superman
    Action
    Adventures of Superman (the old Superman title, renamed... makes for very annoying filing)
    and Superman: Man of Steel

These four titles combined to, essentially, pump out weekly adventures of Superman, often with intertwining storylines.

A *fifth* title, Superman: Man of Tomorrow, was added in the late 90's to cover for skip weeks.

It was, all in all, a pretty impressive bit of editorial wrangling.
    Arguably the storylines made no sense if you didnt read all the issues.

Its not all that impressive cause it wasnt for separate stories being woven together

It was effectively 1 story that had one issue per week come out confusingly give titles like action or man of steel etc. But you could never organize them in seperate drawers.

It was effectively just

Ac comic issue #
    Mos issue #
    Adventures s issue #
    Superman #

Then looped again

Ac comic issue #
    Mos issue #
    Adventures s issue #
    Superman #

I own little complete sets that span a year run of all issues ... not to say you couldn't drop stuff and still get the jist

But it was clearly written in a linear fashion and then just divided between the dif book titles

Frankly it was stupid.. and nearly impossible to stay current

Theyd been better off way more seperated

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post

Its not all that impressive cause it wasnt for separate stories being woven together

It was effectively 1 story that had one issue per week come out confusingly give titles like action or man of steel etc. But you could never organize them in seperate drawers.

It was effectively just

Ac comic issue #
    Mos issue #
    Adventures s issue #
    Superman #

Then looped again

Ac comic issue #
    Mos issue #
    Adventures s issue #
    Superman #

I own little complete sets that span a year run of all issues ... not to say you couldn't drop stuff and still get the jist

But it was clearly written in a linear fashion and then just divided between the dif book titles

Wasn't that era one of the highest selling periods in Superman history though? It couldn't have been that impenetrable.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    Wasn't that era one of the highest selling periods in Superman history though? It couldn't have been that impenetrable.
    Death and Return of Superman would've bumped that.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    All I have to say is that I enjoyed the two New-52 titles that everyone hated:

Suicide Squad - Ok, Waller was hot but she was more evil than ever, disturbingly manipulative almost. I can appreciate that. And Harley's presence definitely hurts the book but still lots of fun characters like Yo-Yo, King Shark and Deadshot.

Teen Titans - Yes this was garbage up until Death of A Family but I thought it actually got better after that....I'll just leave it at that.

The one I really disliked was Red Hood and Outlaws, I haven't finished it yet but so far just disgusting characterization and nonsensical stories.

Still haven't read Stormwatch and Ravagers. Curious to see if I would enjoy those.
    I actually read New 52 Stormwatch as it was coming out. Remember it as terrible, annoyed with myself that I read so many issues of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post

It was effectively just

Ac comic issue #
    Mos issue #
    Adventures s issue #
    Superman #

Then looped again

Ac comic issue #
    Mos issue #
    Adventures s issue #
    Superman #

That was the golden years for superman, we had a never ending ongoing story where superman was front and center alwasy, plus his whole family had comics of their own. Nobody who actually lived thru that time and actually bought SUPER comics at thst time would ever consider it a confusing failure.

Superman fans now would LOVE thst much coming out.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.