Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Remembering an alternate timeline doesn't mean that that timeline actually "happened" to that character, so to say. You could have memories of an alternate timeline where you're the King of England, but still in this timeline, never actually been the King of England. But whatever.
    The New52 timeline is still the one DC is continuing, mostly. TBH the other ones would be more like the alternate timelines since they are just joining the fold. It's moot though because they are all recognized now.

I don't know if you're older or what, I mean that respectfully and I ask because I saw you ask like 6 or 7 different times "how can superman have dated Diana when he was also married to Lois at the time?" like you didn't realize that they happened to two different Supermans..... One was called "New 52 Superman" who had a different costume who dated Diana, then he died. Until then, the other Superman wasn't in the picture. He was already married to Lois on a different earth.

I feel sort of bad because so many people were explaining it to you and you still didn't even understand that there were two of them... what you have to do is read the one shot "Superman: Rebirth." It will explain everything you missed. In it, newer Clark and Lana talk about the New52 Superman and watch a kryptonian crystal hologram that New52 Superman left behind. The newer Clark talking to Lana is literally a different person from the New52 superman and wore a black suit. He came to main Earth right before New 52 Superman's death and for a short period they coexisted there. He even met New52 Superman face to face at the time he died. There are probably some videos on youtube you could watch that explain if it still confusing.
    Last edited by SteelisLean; 08-23-2021 at 11:21 AM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't think so actually. Lately DC has been making a lot of decisions that I think will stay long term, and I honestly think this "everything happened" is something they will stick with, because it fixes a lot of things people have complained about over the years. Things like should Clark have met the legion of superheroes as a teenager? Did Pa Kent die before Clark left Smallville, was Lex Luthor a friend of Clark back in Smallville? All these things have always been argued back and forth by fans, and the best solution is embracing the idea that the characters can remember all the reboots, and move forward.
    Nah, the current model is gonna become unsustainable in the not too distant future. Creatives know this. We're probably not getting any "hardcore timeline of events" anytime soon, but whatever needs to be defined will be.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leapyear baby View Post
    There has not been a hard reboot since New 52. The timeline rolling out of Death Metal is still continuing off of it with the others rolled in at Death metal. There aren't "false memories" but if there were, it would actually be pre52 mostly that are just "imagined." Look all over the web outside of this site. almost everyone universally recognizes that the continuity in play is the one that spawned out of new52. Its not a question, even.

Judging just by this thread alone, it looks more like youre in the 1%. A cursory look outside the site reinforces that. The pre52 is popular only among a certain section of people who are sorta fading out as newer fans are attracted. According to the fan reviews weve seen in this thread, new52s popularity remains stronger than the pre52.
    LOL. We're in the 1%? Yeah, so DC chose to write away the New 52 continuity just because, then? And again, make no mistake, the New 52 is not the mainline continuity anymore. I have looked outside of this site. Yeah, uh, it's over dude. A few articles from around the internet that "universally agrees that the New 52 is still the main continuity" according to you...

DC Rebirth Erasing the New 52 Changes

Adieu 52: It Looks Like DC Comics Is Ditching ‘The New 52’ In Favor Of Its Past Continuity

Superman Continuity Finally Fixed by DC Comics

And that was just during the beginning of Rebirth. So, if the New 52 was over then, it's really over now. Like, you literally bring up Death Metal and its impact on the timeline all the time, yet can't see how that was a hard reboot that ended what was left of the New 52 timeline??

Again, just read the actual books. Most of the characters are operating off of their Pre-Flashpoint histories. If you're honestly still telling yourself we're in the "New 52" continuity, then I don't know what to tell ya. You're in denial or you're honestly not reading what DC is currently publishing.

Also, yeah, a lot of people around this site did not like the New 52. I'm sure you've seen the posts, not just in this thread but from over the past 10 years of people who complained about it ad-nauseum. I have. Definitely. Case in point:

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Sorta fading out???!!! I swear people just make $Hit up here.

You are just misinformed and wrong...sorry...but maybe im not. Or am I just fading away like the rest of the "Pre52 fans" LOL!!!
    And we're not "fading away" because a lot of us are 90s kids who grew up with DC. So...yeah, we're a fanbase that's gonna be around a while...

Like, I'm not even 30 yet.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-23-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteelisLean View Post
    The New52 timeline is still the one DC is continuing, mostly. TBH the other ones would be more like the alternate timelines since they are just joining the fold. It's moot though because they are all recognized now.
    Not really. Again, the New 52 was supposed to be a "clean slate" continuity. That was literally its mission statement. Anybody reading the books today could tell that the histories of the characters currently appearing in the books are rarely, if ever, drawing on their New 52 origins/histories.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-23-2021 at 12:26 PM.

I don't know if you're older or what, I mean that respectfully and I ask because I saw you ask like 6 or 7 different times "how can superman have dated Diana when he was also married to Lois at the time?" like you didn't realize that they happened to two different Supermans..... One was called "New 52 Superman" who had a different costume who dated Diana, then he died. Until then, the other Superman wasn't in the picture. He was already married to Lois on a different earth.

I feel sort of bad because so many people were explaining it to you and you still didn't even understand that there were two of them... what you have to do is read the one shot "Superman: Rebirth." It will explain everything you missed. In it, newer Clark and Lana talk about the New52 Superman and watch a kryptonian crystal hologram that New52 Superman left behind. The newer Clark talking to Lana is literally a different person from the New52 superman and wore a black suit. He came to main Earth right before New 52 Superman's death and for a short period they coexisted there. He even met New52 Superman face to face at the time he died. There are probably some videos on youtube you could watch that explain if it still confusing.
    Another one who is very misinformed.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

I don't think that anyone on this thread is claiming that the whole "two Superman" situation wasn't explained sufficiently at the time (as much as it could be, 'cause that was some rocky sailing). I think what people are stating is that, as of right now, it appears that, on Earth-0 of the mainline DCU (i.e. the one in which most of the stories are being told) there *never* was a second Superman.

In the current DCU, Superman's history looks remarkably like his pre-Flashpoint version, plus a few years to account for Jonathan.

Out here on Earth-Prime, we appreciate that the underlying story of how that timeline came to be is much, much, weirder. But down there on Earth-0, as far as everyone is concerned, there's only been one Superman, who's now Super-dad. Its Lois has lived there all of her life, married Clark years ago, and didn't replace some other Lois. Its Superman, who may have some weird memories of some other timelines bouncing around in his head (that he will likely almost never talk about, except for occasional fan service), nevertheless believes that he was rocketed to This planet Earth in This Timeline, and doesn't believe he was born in some other pre-Flashpoint timeline.

Since the New 52 Superman as a separate entity is no longer part of this unified timeline (existing only in a previous metaverse), the only aspects of his history that remain are the ones that future writers are choosing to weave in. Rogol Zaar. The incredibly wonky adventures of bitter old Jor-El ('cause they're important to Jonathan). I'd be willing to bet that the "T-Shirt" phase of Superman's early career has probably been woven in, as well. But a good deal of it (particularly the stuff that can't logically co-exist in the refreshed timeline) will likely be ignored or rewritten.

The New 52 stuff all happened. It all counts. It's just that, right now, it looks like a chunk of it didn't happen to the one and only Superman in the current timeline. How big is that chunk? We'll see.

Yes, in the beginning of Rebirth we had two Supermen, the Super dad one and the New 52 one. But in Superman Reborn we saw that they were merged into one and their histories were altered and fused. Except we cleary see that the new merged timeline is basically pre Flashpoint Superman. So the New 52 guy got erased after Superman Reborn.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Yes, in the beginning of Rebirth we had two Supermen, the Super dad one and the New 52 one. But in Superman Reborn we saw that they were merged into one and their histories were altered and fused. Except we cleary see that the new merged timeline is basically pre Flashpoint Superman. So the New 52 guy got erased after Superman Reborn.
    Why is this so hard for others to understand?!
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

BANNED

I thought I would have heard the last of Superman splitting and merging after the red and blue phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Unfortunately Dark Death Metal Nights of Death changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep.

And here’s a pic from the last issue of IF where they acknowledge the New 52 versions of Batman & Superman

Is this issue #3... I Just read this and missed that easter egg.

Guess I gotta reread it!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep.

And here’s a pic from the last issue of IF where they acknowledge the New 52 versions of Batman & Superman

Now THAT'S 's a solid bit of fanservicing to previous continuities. It makes no particular sense, of course (even given the DEO's new mission, why/how could they know about previous metaversal verisons of Supes, et al? It's not like Mr. Bones is Highfather or something) but it's cool, so we all let it slide.

Also, something to note here: All the representations of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are explicitly of *previous* versions of the metaverse (Golden Age, Pre-Crisis, Post-Crisis, Post-Flashpoint), implying that the one the DCU is currently in is *none* of these.

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Why is this so hard for others to understand?!
    Understandable? Sure. Messy as hell and terribly annoying? Also yes.

Incredible Member

I only read side books and never events but the take away message from this discussion for me is that people have ended up with totally different interpretations of what they are actually reading and thats totally inevitable given weve had about 5 events x 12 issues x 20 pages = 1200 pages (guesstimate) in 10 years of universe stuff. that has to be a massive failure in story telling when people cant even reach a concensus on who the character is they are reading

Incredible Member

I don't know why people seem surprised that people have looked at the same events
    yet reach diametrically different conclusions. That is just how human beings
    are wired.

DC Comics fans have had a range of arguments for years. None of that should
    come as a great shock.