Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Superman got shafted hard in the new 52. Grant Morrison's run was the only thing going for him in the five years. The romance with Wonder woman, sheesh, neither character looked good.
    I think GM not staying longer on Action really killed the momentum for the New 52 Superman. Superman absolutely needed a stable team with a 4-5 years long run to develop the supporting cast, the setting and demonstrate the kind of stories you could tell with new 52. But instead it fell back to a revolving door of creators. I think that is the number one reason that Superdad ultimately triumphed over Superbro. Superdad had a longer established history compared to the Nu52 Superman who was just editorially mismanaged (besides Morrison's brief run)..

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Personally feel the new52 truth stuff works better then bendis truth stuff.

I cant think of a single movie with lois in it that works. And superman and lois, she's one of the least compelling characters.

Maybe you can recommend a trade, something that isnt 30 years old where she's used well.

I just feel superman needs a strong super powered gf... lois was designed as the damsel in distress. Personally not seeing a lot of great use of her.

But willing to read any suggestions
    the greg rucka run looked cool - havent read it but it certainly looked very stylish

Extraordinary Member

Personally feel the new52 truth stuff works better then bendis truth stuff.

I cant think of a single movie with lois in it that works. And superman and lois, she's one of the least compelling characters.

Maybe you can recommend a trade, something that isnt 30 years old where she's used well.

I just feel superman needs a strong super powered gf... lois was designed as the damsel in distress. Personally not seeing a lot of great use of her.

But willing to read any suggestions
    That misses the fundamental point of Superman. The idea that Superman "needs" a super-powered love interest suggests that he'd only ever be able to fall in love with a fellow super and sees non-powered people as less important. Superman cares about everyone. That's the whole point of the character.

Also, Lois in the Golden Age was always a character who bucked the traditional archetype of a damsel in distress who'd stand down. The Silver Age made her out to be a damsel in distress, but Wonder Woman in the Silver Age was more concerned with pleasing Steve than actually being a hero. Also, Lois hasn't been portrayed as much of a "damsel" since the 1980s.

And Lois has been Superman's main love interest for 80+ years. I don't think that relationship is going anywhere.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-25-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    That misses the fundamental point of Superman. The idea that Superman "needs" a super-powered love interest suggests that he'd only ever be able to fall in love with a fellow super and sees non-powered people as less important. Superman cares about everyone. That's the whole point of the character.

Also, Lois in the Golden Age was always a character who bucked the traditional archetype of a damsel in distress who'd stand down. The Silver Age made her out to be a damsel in distress, but Wonder Woman in the Silver Age was more concerned with pleasing Steve than actually being a hero. Also, Lois hasn't been portrayed as much of a "damsel" since the 1980s.
    I do enjoy lois more in comics then her screen representation.

Do you feel lois has been well represented on screen, thats where I feel she's lacked the most.

I think the other component is me and my gf will never have kids so the 52 superman was more me.

The family man super isnt as much. And jon wasnt really something i was particularly excited about.

But i did like the age up.

I mean ultimately Im having fun with comics regardless of the decade im reading. I just like the super and ww relationship.

Extraordinary Member

Do you feel lois has been well represented on screen, thats where I feel she's lacked the most.
    Yes, actually. I particularly like Margot Kidder in the 1978 and 1980 Superman movies. She was a fine actress and I honestly think she did a lot with the character, which then became staples in her comics portrayal. I also really liked Erica Durance's Lois in Smallville. She has spunk and charisma, which is part of what makes Lois Lois in my opinion.

I even like Amy Adams's portrayal. Amy Adams is a phenomenal actress and her Lois, while not my favorite, is underrated IMO.

I think the other component is me and my gf will never have kids so the 52 superman was more me.

The family man super isnt as much. And jon wasnt really something i was particularly excited about.

But i did like the age up.

I mean ultimately Im having fun with comics regardless of the decade im reading. I just like the super and ww relationship.
    That's fair, but the Superman/Lois relationship is iconic. So, obviously, people were rightfully annoyed at it's sudden erasure from continuity. Also, for what it's worth, for a long time, Lois and Clark were portrayed in canon as being unable to have children because of his Kryptonian nature. That's only been recently retconned to introduced Jon into the main timeline.

Although, to be fair, a child of Superman and Lois has been something the fans have wanted for a looooooooooong time. And I understand that it may not have been what you wanted, but it was something DC had been flirting with for decades.

Yes, actually. I particularly like Margot Kidder in the 1978 and 1980 Superman movies. She was a fine actress and I honestly think she did a lot with the character, which then became staples in her comics portrayal. I also really liked Erica Durance's Lois in Smallville. She has spunk and charisma, which is part of what makes Lois Lois in my opinion.

I even like Amy Adams's portrayal. Amy Adams is a phenomenal actress and her Lois, while not my favorite, is underrated IMO.

That's fair, but the Superman/Lois relationship is iconic. So, obviously, people were rightfully annoyed at it's sudden erasure from continuity. Also, for what it's worth, for a long time, Lois and Clark were portrayed in canon as being unable to have children because of his Kryptonian nature. That's only been recently retconned to introduced Jon into the main timeline.

Although, to be fair, a child of Superman and Lois has been something the fans have wanted for a looooooooooong time. And I understand that it may not have been what you wanted, but it was something DC had been flirting with for decades.
    Yah Kidder would probably be my pick for favorite. Just wish my pick wasnt from nearly 50 years ago...

Whoa vaguely remember smallville. She had lots of spunk. She'd be my modern pick for sure.

Im actually a Snyder fan, but just didnt feel like that compelling a lois. And superman lacked levity. But still a fan.

I like the idea of continuity but would also like more earths given more attention. Family man superman aint my first choice. So I do read older books more when he was single or just him and lois. Lol saying this makes me wanna go thru my new52 superman ww books again, see if it still holds up

Batman has Catwoman. Superman has lois. Would love an alternative though to lois. Someone that just could keep him way more on his toes... more variety of stories. Hoping Infinite Frontier offers lots of looks at other worlds.

Superman Wonder Woman volume 1 power couple
    Was the first comic I collected since 1998. I became a full time collector after that.

While I dont hate the idea of Superman and Lois ive never been a fan of how lois is portrayed, particularly in film and tv.

Also batman has Catwoman or Talia... equal match for him

Lois was always just the damsel in distress for the majority of her history.

Ww and superman at least on equal footing. But they did but heads a lot.

You'd hear no complaint from me if dc to look supermans love life in a total different direction

Hope Infinite Frontier features alternative versions or superman and his romances
    Lois Lane is a badass, whatchu talking about?

The funny thing about so called "power couples" is that most of them break up.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Lois Lane is a badass, whatchu talking about?
    Quoted for truth.

This has always been true for me too. Only exception was Erica Durance. But while I generally have nothing strongly against other screen representations, to me they just never popped. I even felt that way with the original movies. Not that I disliked Kidder but once I got into comics I just didn't feel her on screen the way I gravitated towards her on the page.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

I mean, some of the decisions and directions behind the New 52 are still horrendous. But last year I revisited a lot of New 52 material and found myself pleasantly surprised, namely on the Superman and Justice League side. Seeing Clark as a young man navigating his way through Metropolis, balancing his social life and superhero stuff, exploring a relationship with Wonder Woman, continuing to discover his powers - that was all a refreshing change of pace for me. I came to really like New 52 Superman actually. And I don't care what anyone says, I liked the armor - on him and certain other characters. Doesn't work for everyone though.

It's hard to really dissect what exactly went wrong with the New 52. I think the biggest thing is the lack of communication and direction. You had Geoff Johns' JL implying Pa Kent died of a heart attack, making out-of-place references to Doomsday and Metallo, and that scene in Darkseid War with Clark discovering the rocket in the barn. Batman continuity was all over the place too. It was just too confusing for new interested fans and old fans alike. But there were still some decent stories, ideas, and art.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    I mean, some of the decisions and directions behind the New 52 are still horrendous. But last year I revisited a lot of New 52 material and found myself pleasantly surprised, namely on the Superman and Justice League side. Seeing Clark as a young man navigating his way through Metropolis, balancing his social life and superhero stuff, exploring a relationship with Wonder Woman, continuing to discover his powers - that was all a refreshing change of pace for me. I came to really like New 52 Superman actually. And I don't care what anyone says, I liked the armor - on him and certain other characters. Doesn't work for everyone though.

It's hard to really dissect what exactly went wrong with the New 52. I think the biggest thing is the lack of communication and direction. You had Geoff Johns' JL implying Pa Kent died of a heart attack, making out-of-place references to Doomsday and Metallo, and that scene in Darkseid War with Clark discovering the rocket in the barn. Batman continuity was all over the place too. It was just too confusing for new interested fans and old fans alike. But there were still some decent stories, ideas, and art.
    Those books were written by multiple authors.

Stuff like this is the definition of nitpick

Ever visit this site
    http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Mista...kien%27s_works

Screenshot_20210826-173958_Chrome.jpg

One author and like what 10 or 20 years to perfect it...

Always issues

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This has always been true for me too. Only exception was Erica Durance. But while I generally have nothing strongly against other screen representations, to me they just never popped. I even felt that way with the original movies. Not that I disliked Kidder but once I got into comics I just didn't feel her on screen the way I gravitated towards her on the page.
    I've quickly grown to love Superman and Lois and the shows portrayal of the characters. So for me these are my favourite live action versions of the two characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    But there were still some decent stories, ideas, and art.
    The problem is the "decent" stories were buried under a mountain of horrible stories and mismanaged titles. Nostalgia for New 52 has a certain selection bias here where the terrible stuff is overlooked and what is considered decent or good is exaggerated to the point of claiming that it represent the whole selection of New 52. For every Batman or Action Comics, there was a Savage Hawkman/Grifter/Deathstroke/Hawk and Dove/Superman/Ravagers/Firestorm/Justice League International/Birds of Prey/Detective Comics/Blackhawks/Stormwatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The problem is the "decent" stories were buried under a mountain of horrible stories and mismanaged titles. Nostalgia for New 52 has a certain selection bias here where the terrible stuff is overlooked and what is considered decent or good is exaggerated to the point of claiming that it represent the whole selection of New 52. For every Batman or Action Comics, there was a Savage Hawkman/Grifter/Deathstroke/Hawk and Dove/Superman/Ravagers/Firestorm/Justice League International/Birds of Prey/Detective Comics/Blackhawks/Stormwatch.
    I mean Ive read comics from ever decade from 1970 to present.

Loads of trash, in all the decades. Like is unreasonable to expect more then what. 50% to be good or great. The other 50% average, bad or horrible...

New52 has some giant wins in it. As do many decades