Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    2. By giving writers nearly complete freedom, unhindered by strict continuity, writers and artists can choose to write freely or imagine gotham as they like or imagine the costume as they want and draw it as they want. Strict rules of continuity and writing would hinder the talent.
    That's not true. The height of DC was the Jeantte Kahn post-Crisis era where editorial policed continuity much more tightly and in turn creators still were able to create great comics such as the O'Neil (editorial) era of Batman, the post-Crisis Superman and post-Crisis Wonder Woman. In contrast the Didio era didn't give a crap about continuity and it was a complete mess with only a handful of landmark titles, lot of mismanaged properties, lots of editorial micro-managing which persists to the current day and publishers trying to sabotage characters/books they didn't like. If anything DC's history shows that the belief in a shared universe (and thus continuity) helped it attain creative heights that the anti-continuity naysayers were never able to achieve despite all their efforts.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 08-18-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Except, in-universe, the characters now no longer remember there ever being two Supermen nor do they remember New 52 Superman at all. To them, the current Superman, who is very very Pre-Flashpoint in his demeanor and in his backstory is the only Superman that they remember.
    A very gigantic so what.

Just cause a character or person cant remember an event in real life doesnt diminish its impact on history.

Do you recall what happened in 1796?

Its effecting us today.

Frankly superman may not remember but greater more powerful forces do. Such as the monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    That's not true. The height of DC was the Jeantte Kahn post-Crisis era where editorial policed continuity much more tightly and in turn creators still were able to create great comics such as the O'Neil (editorial) era of Batman, the post-Crisis Superman and post-Crisis Wonder Woman. In contrast the Didio era didn't give a crap about continuity and it was a complete mess with only a handful of landmark titles, lot of mismanaged properties, lots of editorial micro-managing which persists to the current day and publishers trying to sabotage characters/books they didn't like. If anything DC's history shows that the belief in a shared universe (and thus continuity) helped it attain creative heights that the anti-continuity naysayers were never able to achieve despite all their efforts.
    You are misrepresenting me.

Im not anticontinuty

Im against hyper anal retentive continuity

There is more then enough continuity in the last decade to form great ongoing story arcs. Ive read many

Sure there might be some confusing changes that require retcon

Like heroes in Crisis is clearly one of the primary reasons for the Infinite frontier main story. And I love it. Even if it was born out of character inconsistencies as some would say. Or character assassination as others would say.

But we likely will just disagree. And thats fine

Continuity yes its totally important. Ive read steady since 2016 in all directions. As old as 1970 and as recent as current monthlies

There is enough continuity that I can follow the stories and enjoy them. The bits that dont line up are forgotten.
    Last edited by Menacer; 08-18-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Like heroes in Crisis is clearly one of the primary reasons for the Infinite Crisis story line. And I love it. Even if it was born out of character inconsistencies as some would say. Or character assassination as others would say.
    It isn't. Infinite Crisis is older than Heroes in Crisis.
    I think you're mistaking that with Identity Crisis.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It isn't. Infinite Crisis is older than Heroes in Crisis.
    I think you're mistaking that with Identity Crisis.
    No i just typed crisis instead of infinite Frontier

Extraordinary Member

A very gigantic so what.

Just cause a character or person cant remember an event in real life doesnt diminish its impact on history.

Do you recall what happened in 1796?

Its effecting us today.

Frankly superman may not remember but greater more powerful forces do. Such as the monitors.
    What happened in 1796 is still affecting us today because the events of 1796 haven't been erased from our timeline.

What happened in 1796 is still affecting us today because the events of 1796 haven't been erased from our timeline.
    The comics have Multiverse, omniverse, hypertime, etc etc the writers constantly state everything is relevent. Everything happened.

As for our real world time line. My point was more about supermans ability to remember. Or not remember not mattering. Nor his time line still exist or not. Its the impact of a series of events that lead to the current state. Greater beings remember.

Have you never studied the apparent belief that the cyclical nature of the big bang is real... doesnt matter that we live and die. Life is meaningful for it having been experienced not having been remembered.

Or do you find yourself hopelessly depressed about the notion you may die and be forgotten and then our sun extinguishes and then the universe collapses...

As for the date 1796. It was when the first vaccine was tested on a boy and worked. Cow pox I believe. Was finalized in 1798.

As for the date 1796. It was when the first vaccine was tested on a boy and worked. Cow pox I believe. Was finalized in 1798.

Extraordinary Member

The comics have Multiverse, omniverse, hypertime, etc etc the writers constantly state everything is relevent. Everything happened.

As for our real world time line. My point was more about supermans ability to remember. Or not remember not mattering. Nor his time line still exist or not. Its the impact of a series of events that lead to the current state. Greater beings remember.

Have you never studied the apparent belief that the cyclical nature of the big bang is real... doesnt matter that we live and die. Life is meaningful for it having been experienced not having been remembered.

Or do you find yourself hopelessly depressed about the notion you may die and be forgotten and then our sun extinguishes and then the universe collapses...

Okay...and again, that's important because as far as I know, no otherworldly event or being has gone back and taken that moment out of history.

But as for Superman, I doubt that there will be any call back to New 52 Superman...at least for the foreseeable future. There's a reason they brought back the Pre-Flashpoint guy. This isn't like Heroes in Crisis and Infinite Frontier. Heroes in Crisis still happened in the DC timeline. The adventures of N52 Superman, to a large extent, did not.

Okay...and again, that's important because as far as I know, no otherworldly event or being has gone back and taken that moment out of history.

But as for Superman, I doubt that there will be any calling back to New 52 Superman...at least for the foreseeable future. There's a reason they brought back the Pre-Flashpoint guy.
    That hypothetical. You dont know what story may be written.

Also again your not getting my point.

Have you read Mutiveristy by Grant Morrison.

As much as we are reading there reality as a comic book they our reading ours.

Also there is theories that we do live in a real life Multiverse. So while nothing may be clearly erased from your perspective. Doesnt mean it didnt happen

Familar with the mandela effect

Or the berenstain bears theory

Frankly how you cant understand that us in this reality cant know what has been erased or not any more then superman cant know

DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT IT HAPPENED AND EFFECTED THE FINAL RESULT SUPERMAN NOW LIVES IN.

But as for Superman, I doubt that there will be any call back to New 52 Superman...at least for the foreseeable future. There's a reason they brought back the Pre-Flashpoint guy. This isn't like Heroes in Crisis and Infinite Frontier. Heroes in Crisis still happened in the DC timeline. The adventures of N52 Superman, to a large extent, did not.
    As another example no one knows or remembers what happened before the big bang.

Doesnt make it irrelevant.... doesnt change that it lead us here. To us messaging about comic books

Everything happened, but everything didn't happen to that specific character.
    Diana can't both be created from clay and also be born to Hippolyta and Zeus.
    I find this idea that our whole cast of characters have overlapping conflicting memories. That in itself would change the characters, and for it to happen to everyone, it changes the world.
    Even waving it away as dreamlike memories that come and ago makes for weird characters.
    If I don't which very different backstories the character has creates a disconnect between me and the characters.
    Was Lex a teenage supervillain in and out of prison since he was a kid or was he a respected pillar of the community who did his nefarious deeds above the law? Those are two really different guys. Did Diana come to Man's World with no secret identity or love interests for a long time, or did she live and work as Diana Prince and had a long relationship with Steve Trevor. Steve who in another reality married Etta, who is now a lesbian.
    The problem is that this everything counts idea works pretty well for Batman as his history is pretty coherent with less conflicting details, but is awful for many other characters.
    Trying to force these disparate histories into one cohesive version of the characters is more confusing and distracting than helpful. To me anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Everything happened, but everything didn't happen to that specific character.
    Diana can't both be created from clay and also be born to Hippolyta and Zeus.
    I find this idea that our whole cast of characters have overlapping conflicting memories. That in itself would change the characters, and for it to happen to everyone, it changes the world.
    Even waving it away as dreamlike memories that come and ago makes for weird characters.
    If I don't which very different backstories the character has creates a disconnect between me and the characters.
    Was Lex a teenage supervillain in and out of prison since he was a kid or was he a respected pillar of the community who did his nefarious deeds above the law? Those are two really different guys. Did Diana come to Man's World with no secret identity or love interests for a long time, or did she live and work as Diana Prince and had a long relationship with Steve Trevor. Steve who in another reality married Etta, who is now a lesbian.
    The problem is that this everything counts idea works pretty well for Batman as his history is pretty coherent with less conflicting details, but is awful for many other characters.
    Trying to force these disparate histories into one cohesive version of the characters is more confusing and distracting than helpful. To me anyways.
    Theoretically both or one depending on what follow up stories you would read and which origins or narratives other writers attach too.

I really dont find it hard to deal with at all.... its not about picking your favorite but rather where the narrative the writers lead you down....

Even token. Who wrote 3 books in the lotr trilogy had issues with continuity... entire websites dedicated to contradictions.

Why anyone gets hung up on these tiny contradictions rather then just enjoy the unfolding narrative ill never understand

Why anyone gets hung up on these tiny contradictions rather then just enjoy the unfolding narrative ill never understand
    Because to some they are not tiny contradictions at all. You do not have to understand it. Enjoy it the way you like it. To most though what you are talking about means a great deal and always have.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Because to some they are not tiny contradictions at all. You do not have to understand it. Enjoy it the way you like it. To most though what you are talking about means a great deal and always have.
    Definitely not most.

Very tiny hardcore fan.

Vast majority dont care bro.