Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

We are back to a theme that is worthy of some thought: continuity.

History matters with DC Comics, because it has a longer history that resonates.
    But history can overwhelm those who are new to the story. It never bothered
    me that part of the story had begun before I was born. But then I grew up to be a
    history teacher.

DC has long been concerned with balancing continuity, while being fresh enough
    that new readers are welcomed in to the family. I'm rather neutral on the 52 to
    be honest, it had pluses and minuses.

But there can be little doubt that some of its choices had the feeling of throwing
    out all of what had gone before. It alienated some readers. There is a tendency
    at times for people to say those who are alienated, well they are a bunch of old
    hangers on who deserve to be alienated. But it is all how you do something. The lack
    of a clear long-term vision was clearly a problem.

The issue of continuity remains a consistent problem right up to the present day.
    Clearly, at this moment in time, they have thrown out continuity and canon. It is
    all selective cherry picking, but without thought. Whether the people at DC Comics
    realize it or not, they are creating a new continuity in that process. The problem is
    that it zigs and zags in a way where it creates more problems than it solves.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    So basically New 52 had no continuity and the characters didn't have their histories. Stories were lacking and the universe felt empty because of that.
    And Infinite Frontier has no continuity but the characters do have their histories.
    Yeah, I'll take the later. Thanks.
    The great thing about the New 52 is that it allowed characters who were in trouble (see my above list) a fresh start to create new continuities. Unless you're Batman and GL. As they kept the same plotlines and histories post-Flashpoint.

What characters and what specific histories are preserved by Infinite Frontier that you have an affinity for?

The big one for everyone during the New 52 was Wally West. But after Flash War and Heroes in Crisis, I don't imagine anyone is happy with what they've done to him.

I ask because from where DC started cratering (pre-Flashpoint), to rising (New 52), splitting the difference of continuities (Convergence and Rebirth), to current era Infinite Frontier. What stories even matter in the DCU and more importantly, what series of events happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    The great thing about the New 52 is that it allowed characters who were in trouble (see my above list) a fresh start to create new continuities. Unless you're Batman and GL. As they kept the same plotlines and histories post-Flashpoint.

What characters and what specific histories are preserved by Infinite Frontier that you have an affinity for?

The big one for everyone during the New 52 was Wally West. But after Flash War and Heroes in Crisis, I don't imagine anyone is happy with what they've done to him.

I ask because from where DC started cratering (pre-Flashpoint), to rising (New 52), splitting the difference of continuities (Convergence and Rebirth), to current era Infinite Frontier. What stories even matter in the DCU and more importantly, what series of events happened?
    Wally West fans are pretty happy with Infinite Frontier. Heroes in Crisis is behind us and we can move forward finally.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

The books that were making sales at the time were:

Morrison on Batman, Seven Soldiers and Final Crisis.
    Johns on GL (Sinestro Corps, Blackest Night, Brightest Day, War of the GL), Flash and Booster Gold.
    Simone on Wonder Woman.
    Giffen and Winnick's run on JLI.

What other books were doing well enough to not merit a shake-up?

Waid's second turn on the Flash was bad.

Levitz's second turn on LOSH was boring.

Superman was underwater with the back to back failures of Reign of Doomsday, Grounded and New Krypton.

The 2K3 Teen Titans era went downhill after Johns left at issue #50.

The post Infinite Crisis JL had Meltzer, McDuffie and Robinson's runs. A largely forgotten volume, with a few standout stories.

A series of terrible events like Justice League Cry of Justice, Countdown, Amazons Attack, Death of the New Gods.

Hey! Anyone remember Arthur "Joseph" Curry? Yeah, me neither.

I couldn't tell you what Green Arrow was doing at the time.

The experimental Trial of Shazam and JSA companion arc was never resolved.

The Kent V. Nelson Doctor Fate was cancelled after the author Steve Gerber passed away.
    There was a ton of good stuff before the New 52 relaunch:

• The Stephanie Brown Batgirl series
    • Dini's Zatanna
    • Secret Six
    • Jeff Lemire's Superboy
    • Cornell's Lex Luthor run on Action Comics
    • Red Robin

It's incredibly easy to pick out the bad in anything. I could list just as much bad post-New 52 as I could pre-New 52. That doesn't mean there was nothing good.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Aquaman would like to have a word with you.
    Static, JLI, Teen Titans, Mr. Terrific and all the Wild Storm characters would like to have a word with you.

Also, New 52 WW sold like hotcakes and was a very good series while Azzarello was at the helm.
    And then completely nose-dived in quality after he left despite having the status quo it set up. Even then, sales were going down before he left. If anything, it primarily benefited from having little attachment to the rest of the New 52.

Yes, it ruffled feathers with long time fans, but it was IMHO for the best because the Amazon's society is deeply fucked up and most WW writers hard-on on making Zeus and all male mythical characters inherently bad is really tiring when they totally downplay all the shit that the goddesses did (if you hate Heracles for enslaving the Amazons, hate on Hera who turned him mad and had him kill his whole fucking family and then having to atone for it!).
    Downplaying the Amazons and goddesses bad actions is wrong but apparently ignoring the fact that Zeus and Poseidon are rapists, punishing their victims and rewarding Zeus by putting him back on the throne after all the hell he unleashed because of his selfishness and cowardice like the New 52 run did is a-okay. To say nothing of how the only male myth characters prior to the New 52 who were consistently depicted in a villainous light were Ares and Heracles and the pre52 flashpoint run was often much more flattering to Zeus than he deserved. It was actually pretty rare to depict him as an antagonist. And it isn't like there isn't plenty reason to view Heracles as despicable with stuff like murdering his music teacher or selling a woman into slavery because her brother owed him a debt.

Justice League was also great, so was most of Superman and Action Comics, Red Hood came into his own, finally, leaving behind the taint of Morrison's take on him.

And that's from the top of my head, I'm sure there were other titles which were well loved but weren't Batman.[/QUOTE]

Every era of DC has its flaws but to act like the New 52 was better than Flashpoint or even Rebirth requires a spectacular amount of ignorance regarding what we got and the issues behind-the-scenes which several writers and staff have talked about. Any pros we got were vastly outweighed by the cons and most of the books that did benefit from it very quickly lost steam from it. And that's just if you focus on the issues regarding the writing and not stuff like them keeping Eddie Berganza around for years.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Current titles with zero regular Batman/Batfamily.

Superman: son of kal-el
    Action Comics
    Superman & the Authority
    Supergirl: woman of tomorrow
    Superman red & Blue
    Wonder Woman
    Wonder girl
    Wonder Woman Evolution
    Nubia & the Amazons
    Wonder Woman black and gold
    Flash
    Green Lantern
    Green Arrow/Aquaman Deep Target
    Aquaman: the becoming
    Black Manta
    Shazam
    Crush & Lobo
    Mister Miracle: source of freedom
    Deathstroke Inc.
    Human Target
    Rorschach
    Static
    Hardware
    icon and rocket
    Suicide Squad
    Suicide Squad: King Shark
    Swamp Thing
    Crime Syndicate
    Blue and Gold
    Strange Adventures

Titles where Batman/Batfamily exists but is not title character
    Justice League
    Justice League Incarnate
    Infinite Frontier
    Checkmate
    Titans Academy
    Titans United
    Task Force Z
    Dark Knights of Steel
    DC vs Vampires

So that’s about 39 comics since March, not counting those non-DC superhero comics like American Vampire or nice house on the lake, that you can read if you don’t want 100% Batman focus.
    How many of those listed are just min-/limited-series, and how many are regular on-going titles?

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Now doing the same for New 52 launch titles
    Superman
    Action Comics
    Superboy
    Supergirl
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Green Lantern: New Guardians
    Red Lanterns
    Flash
    Green Arrow
    Captain Atom
    Fury of the Firestorm
    Mister Terrific
    Savage Hawkman
    Blue Beetle
    Hawk and Dove
    Legion Lost
    Legion of Superheroes
    Static Shock
    All Star Western
    Blackhawks
    Deathstroke
    Grifter
    Men of War
    OMAC
    Storm watch
    Suicide Squad
    Voodoo
    Animal Man
    Demon Knights
    Frankenstein agent of shade
    I Vampire
    Swamp Thing
    Resurrection Man
    Justice League Dark

Counting Batman/Batfamily
    Justice League
    Justice League international
    Teen Titans

So 41 here, which is about two titles more then now
    How many of those listed were just min-/limited-series, and how many were intended to be regular on-going titles?

Spectacular Member

Well in the many points where the New 52 were not bad. They're less Bat-books than now X)

Astonishing Member

I loved the New 52. It's where I really got into DC Comics. And in many respects, I sincerely miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How many of those listed are just min-/limited-series, and how many are regular on-going titles?

How many of those listed were just min-/limited-series, and how many were intended to be regular on-going titles?
    Well more of the infinite frontier books were meant as miniseries but some of the new 52 books were meant as ongoings but were cancelled within 6 issues, does that make much a difference?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaeus View Post
    In fairness to DC, the Milestone characters were tangled up with a legal dispute with McDuffie's widow, so they might not have been able to publish much.
    That lawsuit was AFTER the comic. Years AFTER.

Static got ruined by the same editor who ruined Cyborg. Who insulted writers and was hard to work with and notice no one is trying to hire him now.

Aquaman would like to have a word with you.
    At least Aquaman and WW had folks with talent that did not try to ruin them.

Yes Wonder Woman sold-that was one of the few New 52 books that had waiting lists at the libraries in my town.

There were good to decent to great books in New 52. Too bad the behind the scenes antics buried them.

Folks that sold got screwed over. JSA fans do NOT care how good I Vampire was. That was NOT JSA.

I Vampire did not have a tv show for 4 years like Static.

I Vampire did not have long runs like Tim, Conner, Bart & Wally.

For a company crying about sales-it's funny how many characters became after thoughts.

I'm always baffled with the hate New 52 gets. Think back to pre-New 52. Specifically the post Infinite Crisis era (2005-2011).

The books that were making sales at the time were:

Morrison on Batman, Seven Soldiers and Final Crisis.
    Johns on GL (Sinestro Corps, Blackest Night, Brightest Day, War of the GL), Flash and Booster Gold.
    Simone on Wonder Woman.
    Giffen and Winnick's run on JLI.

What other books were doing well enough to not merit a shake-up?

Waid's second turn on the Flash was bad.

Levitz's second turn on LOSH was boring.

Superman was underwater with the back to back failures of Reign of Doomsday, Grounded and New Krypton.

The 2K3 Teen Titans era went downhill after Johns left at issue #50.

The post Infinite Crisis JL had Meltzer, McDuffie and Robinson's runs. A largely forgotten volume, with a few standout stories.

A series of terrible events like Justice League Cry of Justice, Countdown, Amazons Attack, Death of the New Gods.

Hey! Anyone remember Arthur "Joseph" Curry? Yeah, me neither.

I couldn't tell you what Green Arrow was doing at the time.

The experimental Trial of Shazam and JSA companion arc was never resolved.

The Kent V. Nelson Doctor Fate was cancelled after the author Steve Gerber passed away.

The New 52 was a shot in the arm, that helped save the drowning publisher. I believe it elevated Marvel too. Since in 2012, they launched their first run on Marvel NOW. Soft-reboots meant to be used as jumping on points for new readers. As continuity of decades worth of stories was weighing both DC and Marvel. After the first few years, the New 52 fell apart due to mismanagement. Easily corrected with a new direction and line wide structuring of what the executives want to to sell. Instead we got Rebirth, which brought back the pre-Flashpoint universe for some, combined elements of the New 52 universe for others and rocketed the Watchmen characters into the main universe. Let's not forget another round of terrible event comics.

DC didn't learn from their mistakes of what torpedoed the New 52, or the pre-Flashpoint stories. A common complaint I see is the New 52 got rid of the old continuity. Now we sit in the Infinite Frontier era and I couldn't begin to tell you what the continuity of the DCU is. Does anyone else know?

In conclusion, the there was no fixing the pre-Flashpoint books. Too many were underwater and a line-wide reboot was the quickest way to set a new normal and get readers invested again.
    Tell me something that I don’t already know.

The New 52 may not have been perfect, but it was still better than what we had around 2000-2002.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I loved the New 52. It's where I really got into DC Comics. And in many respects, I sincerely miss it.
    I’m with you, J. D. Guy.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    Well in the many points where the New 52 were not bad. They're less Bat-books than now X)
    New 52 is where Mike Marts and Bat editorial went all in with the crossover madness and forced the Bat related ongoings they had control over to tie in with the Batman book (by Snyder). If anything New 52 was one step into the current status quo where Batbooks have eclipsed everything.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Tell me something that I don’t already know.

The New 52 may not have been perfect, but it was still better than what we had around 2000-2002.
    Uh, yeah, I would still take 2000-2002 DC over the New 52 any day of the week. At least from 2000 to 2002, DC didn't erase half of their legacy characters...
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-16-2021 at 08:00 PM.