Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546 LastLast

Lemire/Sorrentino are creating their own horror universe with 2 or 3 projects announced already so that team is not doing anything else for a while regardless if it is part of the main continuity or not.

SM/WW would probably sell, but if it does not continue Morrison/Pak work on Superman and Azz's on WW then it sounds like a wasted opportunity.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

They can still use characters and foundation from Azz WW, it's part of the New 52 lore, and this is set in New 52 Earth

As for the story, the Superman need to not be dead so the continuation would be right after Savage Dawn arc huh. The public knoow Clark is Superman, Metallo's dead... I don't remember where Diana was at this point... fighting Goddess of Peace? Donna escaping from her prison in Olympus?

Aaaah, the new 52, that ol' apple of discord.

Lobdell's Teen Titans is still to this day one of the book i dislike the most. But well, in the same time there are some gems like Azzarello's WW so...

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So should DC do an "Earth 52" spinoff series? And how well do you think it would do?
    Terribly because DC would do a terrible job of keeping the continuity straight and so people would get pissed off and stop reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

Lobdell's Teen Titans is still to this day one of the book i dislike the most. But well, in the same time there are some gems like Azzarello's WW so...
    Which a lot found absolutely gods~ awful

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Terribly because DC would do a terrible job of keeping the continuity straight and so people would get pissed off and stop reading.
    As someone who loved that Earth-2 book and would love it to comeback I couldn’t agree more. The thing was a mess but the time it ended held together by the writing equivalent of duct tape. If they ever revisited the title it would need a from scratch redo and therefore wouldn’t be the same book it originally was unless you hired someone who had an interest in the golden age characters like Robinson.

I don't know, even if it was Robinson or someone with similar interests... would people be interested in someone trying to do the same thing again?

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

Which a lot found absolutely gods~ awful
    At first glance, I was turned off by Azzarello's New 52 Wonder Woman.

But when I actually bothered to read an issue, and I also accepted this was a new version of the character and all previous stories were no longer in continuity, I really grew to enjoy and appreciate his work.

And thankfully, he didn't seem to pay too much mind to what Geoff Johns was doing with / to Wonder Woman over in Jstice League.

BANNED

I was no fan of the New 52, but DC has found a way to make it look better comparatively. So, I guess that's an achievement.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Yeah, it's more like the New 52 self-destructed under bad editorial mandates, interference, and failure to manage their writers on multiple levels than a bad concept. That's arguably the real difference between New 52 and Post-Crisis; the editorial teams were excellent back then, and were still cultivating utterly stacked writing teams while managing everything a little better. That's how you can get a situation where the New 52 had arguably a better launch story for its Superman thanks to Morrison and arguably better concepts for how his universe could be handled, but Post Crisis Superman could last that much longer and see that much more success.

Looking back, it's weird how often they replaced solid opening cretaive teams with subpar ones afterwards. I'd still say one of the most informative things about the New 52's second phase was that a solid workhorse like Kyle Higgins got replaced on Deathstroke by has-been/never-was Rob Liefeld.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yeah, it's more like the New 52 self-destructed under bad editorial mandates, interference, and failure to manage their writers on multiple levels than a bad concept. That's arguably the real difference between New 52 and Post-Crisis; the editorial teams were excellent back then, and were still cultivating utterly stacked writing teams while managing everything a little better. That's how you can get a situation where the New 52 had arguably a better launch story for its Superman thanks to Morrison and arguably better concepts for how his universe could be handled, but Post Crisis Superman could last that much longer and see that much more success.

Post-Crisis was brand new territory for everyone; nothing like COIE had ever been done before. Of Course there were going to be mistakes!

These errors should be instructive for future editors and management...but this does not seem to be so. DC does not seem to learn from it's errors.

There were several crises between COIE and New 52...but DC was making the same old mistakes with the New 52.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Post-Crisis was brand new territory for everyone; nothing like COIE had ever been done before. Of Course there were going to be mistakes!

These errors should be instructive for future editors and management...but this does not seem to be so. DC does not seem to learn from it's errors.

There were several crises between COIE and New 52...but DC was making the same old mistakes with the New 52.
    I'd argue that Zero Hour actually did show that crop of DC staff learned from their previous mistakes by keeping the retcons and timeline shenanigans to a minimum and wrapping everything up quickly. Plus, in general, I'd say the pre-Dido era of DC Editorial was more generally analytical of their material and adaptable to their audience, though not perfect.

The refusal to analyze what was working or not feels like it gradually became an epidemic under Didio, with the constant failure of reboots even before Flashpoint being one symptom of a larger problem that was part policy from Didio and others trying to dictate what reactions an audience would or wouldn't have, and part personnel related as Didio definitely seemed to fail to nip problems like Eddie Berganza in the bud.

Didio feels to me a bit like Vince McMahon in terms of just being disconnected from audience reactions and willing to allow a negative office atmosphere out of bias towards what his product should look like.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicalComics View Post
    I was no fan of the New 52, but DC has found a way to make it look better comparatively. So, I guess that's an achievement.
    Lol. How so? Seriously. Explain how right now is worse than the New 52.

You gotta love the attitude in this forum. It seems that no matter what, nobody here will be happy with anything that DC publishes. Even when a lot of it is doing well with critics and with fans alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    You gotta love the attitude in this forum. It seems that no matter what, nobody here will be happy with anything that DC publishes. Even when a lot of it is doing well with critics and with fans alike.
    That is the nature of things.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Lol. How so? Seriously. Explain how right now is worse than the New 52.
    Less good books, zero vision asides of vague "we gotta push those 5G characters, somehow" and now we are pretty much not even pretending that there is such thing as "continuity".