Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    You can't deny it
    compared to the new 52 there is a huge lack of diversity line wide
    You are either under the batman, superman, or justice league umbrella outside of that and you are screwed

Some fans only want small measures that cater to them and don't really see the bigger picture but I guess canon and continuity being fixed but having to see DC's entire publication line become 70% Batman and Superman tertiary books is a welcome compromise
    Isnt the problem that no one was buying the diversity books? Also the big names and medicore ones were on the usual suspects?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    The public, with few exceptions, forgot what kind of man he was, thus a snowball effect was beginning, culminating into the disaster the DCU was in prior to Flashpoint.
    Sort of what happened here in the real-world U.S. in November 2016?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Yes.

There is that, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    You can't deny it
    compared to the new 52 there is a huge lack of diversity line wide
    You are either under the batman, superman, or justice league umbrella outside of that and you are screwed

Some fans only want small measures that cater to them and don't really see the bigger picture but I guess canon and continuity being fixed but having to see DC's entire publication line become 70% Batman and Superman tertiary books is a welcome compromise
    I'm gonna refer you guys to this list compiled by sfighter:

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Current titles with zero regular Batman/Batfamily.

Superman: son of kal-el
    Action Comics
    Superman & the Authority
    Supergirl: woman of tomorrow
    Superman red & Blue
    Wonder Woman
    Wonder girl
    Wonder Woman Evolution
    Nubia & the Amazons
    Wonder Woman black and gold
    Flash
    Green Lantern
    Green Arrow/Aquaman Deep Target
    Aquaman: the becoming
    Black Manta
    Shazam
    Crush & Lobo
    Mister Miracle: source of freedom
    Deathstroke Inc.
    Human Target
    Rorschach
    Static
    Hardware
    icon and rocket
    Suicide Squad
    Suicide Squad: King Shark
    Swamp Thing
    Crime Syndicate
    Blue and Gold
    Strange Adventures

Titles where Batman/Batfamily exists but is not title character
    Justice League
    Justice League Incarnate
    Infinite Frontier
    Checkmate
    Titans Academy
    Titans United
    Task Force Z
    Dark Knights of Steel
    DC vs Vampires

So that’s about 39 comics since March, not counting those non-DC superhero comics like American Vampire or nice house on the lake, that you can read if you don’t want 100% Batman focus.

Now doing the same for New 52 launch titles
    Superman
    Action Comics
    Superboy
    Supergirl
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Green Lantern: New Guardians
    Red Lanterns
    Flash
    Green Arrow
    Captain Atom
    Fury of the Firestorm
    Mister Terrific
    Savage Hawkman
    Blue Beetle
    Hawk and Dove
    Legion Lost
    Legion of Superheroes
    Static Shock
    All Star Western
    Blackhawks
    Deathstroke
    Grifter
    Men of War
    OMAC
    Storm watch
    Suicide Squad
    Voodoo
    Animal Man
    Demon Knights
    Frankenstein agent of shade
    I Vampire
    Swamp Thing
    Resurrection Man
    Justice League Dark

Counting Batman/Batfamily
    Justice League
    Justice League international
    Teen Titans

So 41 here, which is about two titles more then now
    So, it looks like the facts don't support your guys' conclusion, what with there actually having only been two more non-Bat books during the New 52 than now.

And honestly, if we take into account the fact that the New 52 Suicide Squad was very Bat-centric with Deadshot and Harley leading the team, whereas now Peacemaker and Superboy have taken their place, then we should say that the New 52 only had ONE more non-Batman book than now.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Sort of what happened here in the real-world U.S. in November 2016?
    Just as bad or worse, I guess.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

At first I was a fan of the New 52 but after getting into the thick of things and all the changes...I was not a fan.

Hoping DC does not try to pull another like that ever again. Yes there were some interesting stuff they did with many characters but in the end I did not like it.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Change is scary for a lot of people; just look at Trump supporters.

The New 52 was never bad, but hating it anyway was fashionable online at the time. There was a huge bandwagon effect where people who were unexposed to the genre were conditioned to think it's bad without even reading anything that came before. And there was A LOT of bad stuff before the New 52. People are naturally averse to change in general -- and this is a genre in which people hate even positive change because it screws with their precious long-term headcanons and threatens their imagined gatekeeping status. As a result, many people went into the new 52 era planning to hate it. These are not people who are willing to unbend themselves. These are not people who are willing to have their minds changed -- even now. These are not people who step back and reflect; they just react. They decided since Flashpoint that they hated the New 52. That is what much of the hate came down to. That is sad, and I feel sorry for them.

The unvarnished truth is that the New 52 had some of the best and most fun events and story arcs that DC ever published. Examples:

JL Trinity War
    Forever Evil
    Death of the Family
    Throne of Atlantis
    Justice League War
    The Multiversity
    Rotworld
    JL: SQ
    Darkseid War
    Basically Every Combined Event from Green Lantern, New Guardians, Red Lanterns, Yellow Lanterns books

These were unequivocally phenomenal story arcs. Those who would say otherwise have a bit of denial going or just an inherent resentment of what the New 52 represents. During New 52, DC also had some of the best written titles they had had in a long time. Again, these are all recognized as unquestionably good books:

Aquaman
    Johns' Superman
    Morrison's Action Comics
    Superman Unchained
    Batman and Robin
    Batman Inc.
    Simone's Batgirl
    JL, JLD, JL 3000
    JL 3000
    Flash Vols 1-5
    Azarello's Wonder Woman
    Valentine's Catwoman
    Lemire's Green Arrow
    Johns' Shazam
    Red Lanterns
    New Guardians
    Omega Men
    Lobdell's Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Animal Man
    Sword of Sorcery
    I, Vampire
    Gotham Academy

And those are just off the top of my head. That's lot of popular books in so short a period of time, many which ran for years, and there are more. Now, compare that number of books to the number of really good, really memorable titles you can count in your head since Rebirth era ended. Go ahead -- do it. Finished? Yeah. That pretty much ends the discussion.

New 52 was not perfect; completely reinventing Wally West was a mistake and to many people unforgiveable. Some of them would have accepted the New 52 if Wally were rebooted as the same red haired kid with a personality consistent with his old self instead of a randomly black kid who had nothing in common. That was a mistake; I would say even their biggest one. Everything else was easily correctable and fixable. Other than that, New 52 was excellent. It is also considered the golden age of DC's foray into truly expanding magic within the universe, with books such as Demon Knights, Swamp thing, JLD, I, Vampire, and Animal Man being truly special. There was also a very well-defined flow to the continuity. Events, relationship statuses, character powers were super consistent between contemporary titles and there was a conveniently simple linear chronology which we no longer have. It was just very crisp.

Compare that to post-Metal, where we have nonstop "retellings" of character origins and events sometimes repeating, and it's often unclear when or even if titles are canon or just "reimagined" for the umpteenth time. This is especially true of digital firsts. Also, some characters who were finally coming into their own during New 52 such as Carol Ferris who finally had some autonomy and agency were sent back to the kitchen to return things to a "status quo." Now, Carol is back to being a sometimes-referenced (but almost never seen) booty call/sex toy that is off-limits to everybody but Hal Jordan while he plays Lost in Space. Meanwhile, we get underwhelming, crap events like Endless Winter and the endless mediocrity that was Perpetua and her retro-wannabe Legion of Doom.

Uhm, yeah. I think I hit the important points.

To OP: Yes, the New 52 was very good. Some mistakes were made, but that isn't the fault of the individual New 52 titles nor does it detract from their excellent quality. Many good things came out of New 52, including Rebirth which I consider to be DC's last "mini golden age" as it combined the best of the New 52 with the best of the pre 52. I wish they had kept that going. You are correct in that in suggesting it is becoming less fashionable to hate on New 52. That is because enough time has passed to compare to life without it -- which right now is a chaotic hell. Meanwhile, people still read New 52 as a starting off point. You will still find some who will continue to call New 52 "dumpster fire" until they are blue in the face. My guess is that such people will be unhappy with anything you put in front of them. The killing joke is on them as DC just lurches from mess to mess -- and them with it.

I didn't mind some of the stories the New 52 produced, but there was no reason the DC universe had to be completely rebooted. Unfortunately, many of the good New 52 publications are stained from that choice, and it really just started to feel you were reading an elseworlds story...but it was an elseworlds story that you were being told was the new status quo...and it wasn't a good elseworlds story. It was like if Marvel decided to tell everyone that The Ultimates universe was the normal universe now, and the events of the 616 universe never happened. As soon as I heard what the New 52 was going to be, I checked out. I didn't really start collecting anything from the New 52 until after it was canned. It's a shame so many intriguing plotlines stemming from the pre-New 52 era were essentially abandoned for the less interesting plotlines that were conceived in the New 52.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 08-17-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    The New 52 was never bad, but hating it anyway was fashionable online at the time. There was a huge bandwagon effect where people who were unexposed to the genre were conditioned to think it's bad without even reading anything that came before. And there was A LOT of bad stuff before the New 52. People are naturally averse to change in general -- and this is a genre in which people hate even positive change because it screws with their precious long-term headcanons and threatens their imagined gatekeeping status. As a result, many people went into the new 52 era planning to hate it. These are not people who are willing to unbend themselves. These are not people who are willing to have their minds changed -- even now. These are not people who step back and reflect; they just react. They decided since Flashpoint that they hated the New 52. That is what much of the hate came down to. That is sad, and I feel sorry for them.

The unvarnished truth is that the New 52 had some of the best and most fun events and story arcs that DC ever published. Examples:

JL Trinity War
    Forever Evil
    Death of the Family
    Throne of Atlantis
    Justice League War
    The Multiversity
    Rotworld
    JL: SQ
    Darkseid War
    Basically Every Combined Event from Green Lantern, New Guardians, Red Lanterns, Yellow Lanterns books
    Actually, no not really. I went into the New 52 wanting to love it. I was actually REALLY excited about it. But then...yeah, no I realized that it was deeply flawed. The continuity didn't make sense anymore. The characters were being written pettily and OOC. A lot of the story arcs went for shock value over substance.

And a lot of the arcs you cite here? Yeah...I don't think many actually DO place them as some of the "best and most fun events and story arcs that DC ever published." Like, not even close.

Trinity War? Yeah, I remember there being a lot of backlash to that story, especially when it had Superman kill Dr. Light for simple shock value. And it wasn't really remembered all that fondly. Same thing with Death of the Family. It was an okay, maybe even good Batman story, but not many Batman fans would consider it as one of the "best" Batman stories of all time or even of the last ten years.

You may have liked these stories and consider them some of the best. But the fanbase in general? Yeah, a lot of them do not.

And I say that as someone who actually genuinely likes a lot of Scott Snyder's run. His opening arc, the Court of Owls, was amazing IMO. And Snyder certainly contributed some elements to the Batman mythos that will likely stick around for a long time to come.

HOWEVER, you have to ask: did the good stuff that came with the New 52 outweigh the bad? Or, more specifically: did the good things that the New 52 contribute justify the wholesale erasure of decades of continuity, character development, several characters, and lore of the DC Universe?

And I have to say, the answer to that would probably be no. A lot of the good that came with the New 52 (i.e. pretty much just the fact that Aquaman gained some increased prominence) could have been accomplished without rebooting. Like, 100%. Johns was already giving Aquaman some love in Brightest Day. The reboot was pretty unnecessary.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-17-2021 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Same thing with Death of the Family. It was an okay, maybe even good Batman story, but not many Batman fans would consider it as one of the "best" Batman stories of all time or even of the last ten years.

You may have liked these stories and consider them some of the best. But the fanbase in general? Yeah, a lot of them do not.
    The only part of Death of the Family I liked was when we all thought Joker really did cut off all their faces...but he didn't. Was very let down by that.

I was actually let down by a lot of stores from the New 52. I did not like Trinity War at all.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

To OP: Yes, the New 52 was very good. Some mistakes were made, but that isn't the fault of the individual New 52 titles nor does it detract from their excellent quality.
    I disagree.

It's weird to dismiss people that don't like that era by basically calling them haters. The New 52 had more mistakes than hits. And i most definitely would not define that era as fun.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathlonian View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No

The whole reason why Batman is dominant is because new 52 so thoroughly destroyed every other franchise that Batman was the only one who came out unscathed and still popular

The rest are either making a brutally slow recovery(Superman and Wonder Woman) or are completely unable to carry a series anymore
    That's just not true at all. Batman was completely dominant well before the New 52 was even a thought.

And Superman's been in a constant state of recovery mode for 30 years because of DC's mismanagement. And its not getting any better now, its getting a lot worse.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-17-2021 at 12:51 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

HOWEVER, you have to ask: did the good stuff that came with the New 52 outweigh the bad? Or, more specifically: did the good things that the New 52 contribute justify the wholesale erasure of decades of continuity, character development, several characters, and lore of the DC Universe?
    To the first question absolutely yes. The second question is a false assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Actually, no not really. I went into the New 52 wanting to love it. I was actually REALLY excited about it. But then...yeah, no I realized that it was deeply flawed. The continuity didn't make sense anymore. The characters were being written pettily and OOC. A lot of the story arcs went for shock value over substance.

And a lot of the arcs you cite here? Yeah...I don't think many actually DO place them as some of the "best and most fun events and story arcs that DC ever published." Like, not even close.

Trinity War? Yeah, I remember there being a lot of backlash to that story, especially when it had Superman kill Dr. Light for simple shock value. And it wasn't really remembered all that fondly. Same thing with Death of the Family. It was an okay, maybe even good Batman story, but not many Batman fans would consider it as one of the "best" Batman stories of all time or even of the last ten years.

And I say that as someone who actually genuinely likes a lot of Scott Snyder's run. His opening arc, the Court of Owls, was amazing IMO. And Snyder certainly contributed some elements to the Batman mythos that will likely stick around for a long time to come.

And I have to say, the answer to that would probably be no. A lot of the good that came with the New 52 (i.e. pretty much just the fact that Aquaman gained some increased prominence) could have been accomplished without rebooting. Like, 100%. Johns was already giving Aquaman some love in Brightest Day. The reboot was pretty unnecessary.
    Firstly, nobody here -- neither me nor you -- is equipped to speak for the fanbase. Secondly, you are picking and choosing to address examples you don't like personally rather than on the basis of how successful they were. All the titles I mentioned were critically acclaimed and successful. That isn't a personal opinion; it's an objective and well-documented fact based on meta-reviews and sales. So... yeah. Thirdly, be careful to confuse opinions you hear in online echo chambers with the opinions of all real life fans. Internet users in online communities have a huge propensity for sheltering themselves in groups that complain about the same thing and end up mistakenly believing everyone else out there shares the same general opinion. They don't. Most fans of the genre don't even regularly visit much less post on sites like this, so you do not hear from them. For example:

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG
    The only part of Death of the Family I liked was when we all thought Joker really did cut off all their faces...but he didn't. Was very let down by that.

I was actually let down by a lot of stores from the New 52. I did not like Trinity War at all.
    That's you and the forumites you talk to, and certainly others out there... but it is not everyone else -- not that could demonstrate, anyway. It is also not an opinion that is reflected in the success of the stories and the acclaim they received.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It's weird to dismiss people that don't like that era by basically calling them haters. The New 52 had more mistakes than hits. And i most definitely would not define that era as fun.
    No worries -- class isn't dismissed. I'll let you know when the lesson is over.

No worries -- class isn't dismissed. I'll let you know when the lesson is over.
    I don't really need any lesson about this subject, but thanks anyway.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.