Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Hank Hall and Dawn Granger: Should they be a Couple?

So, one of the more surprising things to come out of the live-action Titans series that I've found myself really enjoying is the Hank/Dawn pairing. And not only that, but showcasing them as each others' "endgame" or "one true love." And after the most recent episode, well...damn.

Not gonna post any spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet, buuuuuuut I am now furious that they are not a couple in the comics. In fact, they have never been romantically involved with each other. And honestly, I'm kind of wondering why they haven't hooked up??

I mean, maybe it was too obvious, and then there was the whole, uh, Extant thing that sort of sent Hank down a spiral...but it would seem kind of a natural pairing. Right?

I know that SOME writers have flirted with the idea over the years, including one issue where they kissed while under the influence of some mystical god/lord of order or something. All while Hank had a girlfriend.

Also, IIRC, in Brightest Day, Hank seemed to be throwing out some legit jealousy vibes when Dawn and Deadman started getting close. But, the two have never actually gotten romantically involved, unless I missed something. And I think Titans has showed that it COULD be a potential avenue to explore.

So, what do you guys think? Do you agree with me and also think Hank and Dawn could be a super-romance that rivals the likes of Reed and Sue, Aquaman and Mera, Scott and Jean...and Wolverine? Or am I crazy and should these two absolutely not be a thing at all in the comics?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-15-2021 at 10:40 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It always creeped me out that Hank is dating a woman assuming his dead brother's identity and wearing what's essentially his costume.

But I never got the feeling we're really supposed to like Hank.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

I’m in the “no, they should just be partners, it’s way more interesting that way” camp.

Ultimate Member

Comic book Hawk and Dove are too different in personality, IMO, and Hank kind of holds a lot of Dove's foundational beliefs in contempt, which makes me think that he and she don't really belong together, because he doesn't respect her.

And it's not just that 'she deserves better,' he also should be with someone with more compatible beliefs and life goals, IMO. She doesn't respect *his* beliefs either. So while it's easier for me to side with her stance on things and say 'he's the jerk,' objectively *they both* 'deserve better.'

TV Hawk and Dove have a shared sense of loss and found themselves a way out of it together, and whether or not that relationship was healthy or not, really not for me to judge, but it's a completely different thing than the typical comic book relationship (where Hank tends to be more violent, and kind of a two-dimensional caricature of 'angry conservative jerk' that's not terribly nuanced or useful, which reminds me that while I'm not even remotely the audience for that, it sure would be nice to see a conservative leaning character who *doesn't* come off as an enormous wrong-headed tool like Guy Gardner).

Extraordinary Member

Maybe it's just the part of me that has maybe watched one too many romantic comedies, but...hey, opposites attract. lol.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

from the little I've read, no, I don't get any vibe, not even a tension that came from contrastng personalities that fictional couples of that type

Also, since the impression I got on Hawk is he's the angry one,and Dawn's the reasonable one, it's very stereotypical to have a reasonable woman reigning in a man who can't control his anger, not to mention why should she wastes time on that beyond superhero duty

Comic-verse - absolutely not. Her in the role his brother had is one reason. His lack of respect for her beliefs is another. Both of those have already been mentioned.

But for the 80s/early 90s comic (my favorite with them), they just are not into each other. She calls him the older brother she never had (or wanted). Anytime a relationship has been set into sibling language, I'm generally very, very against it ever turning romantic (unless, of course, the language was deliberately used to make fun of the ridiculouslness of it). He rolls his eyes and calls her dumb for dating the same guy as both Dove and Dawn. Total platonic dynamic to me. And I value platonic relationships between characters. Also, I admit to totally shipping Hank with Ren.

Incredible Member

Sure. Why not be a couple?

Spectacular Member

Wasn't she introduced as Don's girlfriend and the only reason she teamed up with Hank was because her connection to his brother allowed her to carry on his peaceful abilities? Or am I remembering it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man27 View Post
    Wasn't she introduced as Don's girlfriend and the only reason she teamed up with Hank was because her connection to his brother allowed her to carry on his peaceful abilities? Or am I remembering it wrong
    Completely wrong. Dawn and Don never even met.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man27 View Post
    You are.

The Lords of Order took Don's abilities from him right before he was going to be killed in Crisis, and gave them to Dawn (in England at the time). She eventually tracked Hawk down and teamed up with him.

I do remember the writers saying that they were eventually supposed to hook up, but that would have been a long time away.

Incredible Member

I really enjoyed the 80’s/90’s comic; it was the best version of the characters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I do remember the writers saying that they were eventually supposed to hook up, but that would have been a long time away.
    Yeah...the seeds are definitely there I think. It's just that no writer has really seen fit to pull the trigger so to say.

Astonishing Member

I'm watching Titans on TNT -- and I love Hawk & Dove. To be honest, I've always like the comic book versions -- even the originals. They had a very non-DC look when they debuted (thanks to Steve Ditko). I was more had been done with them in the 70s.

I'm really a big fan of the actress playing Dawn, but from the sounds of it -- I guess I shouldn't get too attached.

If it was handled well, sure.